View Single Post
Old February 8, 2018, 10:43 AM
Cricket Sage

Among the current players, top players who have the best Test average and atleast played 10 Test innings:

1. Mominul: Ave 48.20 (48 Innings)
2. Sakib: Ave 40.38 (96 Innings)
3. Tamim: Ave 39.39 (102 Innings)
4. Mushfiq: Ave 35.39 (110 Innings)
5. Nasir: 34.80 (32 Innings)
6. Riyad: 31.90 (68 Innings)
7. Litton: 31.63 (11 Innings)
8. SS: 29.36 (19 Innings)
9. Sabbir: 26.60 (20 Innings)
10. Imrul: 26.50 (64 Innings)

Then we have players who haven't played 10 TEST innings yet
1. Abul: 82.50 ( 5 Innings)
2. Mosaddek: 34.66 ( 4 Innings)

then we have young players like

1. Nurul: 23 ( 2 Innings)
2. Mehedi: 16.72 ( 21 Innings)
3. Shanto: 15 ( 2 Innings)
4. Anamul: 9.12 (8 Innings)

Few Random Observation:

1. Only Sakib and Tamim is doing justice to their super star status.

2. Mumin is here to stay. Clear sign to go to next level

3. After playing 110 Test innings, I was expecting a better average from Mushfiq, who is often claimed as the best batsman in our team by his fans.

4. Nasir's average is not bad, but his current form is the concern. So I would stay away from him for now.

5. Riyad's average is not bad but not good also, I was expecting much better average from him after playing 68 innings. With this average, he is easily replaceable.

6. Sabbir Played similar number of innings but SS has higher average. The position Sabbir plays has other better options, whereas SS (if in form) can be an upgrade over Imrul. I know why SS was dropped, and don't disagree. but once he gets his form/confidence back, he should be tired again. I am a SS fan, but I have to say after playing 19 Innings, I was expecting better average from him.

7. It makes no sense why Mossadek was dropped in favor of Sabbir. He just played 4 innings and still have an average of 34. He is part of our future. Why drop him now?

8. Now that Abul is bowling a little better, may be its time to think about Abul ( test average 82.50 after playing 5 innings). He can provide balance ( spinner vs fast bowler), and he is not a bad batsman at all. He started his career as a batsman. He can be an insurance policy when our batsman fails. Why not use his strength to our benefit?

9. Litton has an ok average right now ( 31.63 after playing 11 Innings), but the way he is playing right now, we need to stick with him longer... I have no doubt that he will increase his average pretty soon. Only Stupid will drop him (from the team) right now.

10. Kind of disappointed with Miraj's batting. After playing 21 innings, his average should be in the 30s not 16. Only good thing is he is an all-rounder and he is batting better currently. So we need to stick with him a little longer and see how he progress.

11. We haven't tried enough of Nurul and Shanto. We need to find a way to give them some chance in near future... and that means giving rest to some of the non essential players (seniors and juniors). We need to keep in mind, some of these players are part of our future and we need to figure it out who is for real and who is fake in the highest level. You can only find out after giving them enough chance...some with start with a bang... but others with struggle and get better over time .... you need to try them enough to find out if they are learning from their mistakes and improving or not.

12. No comment about Anamul. Very bad average. but he didn't played long enough. This is not the time to try him in TEST. let him concentrate and re-establish in limited over first.

Bottom line: Replacing Mossadek and bring up Sabbir makes no sense.