View Single Post
Old September 24, 2004, 09:11 AM
Test Cricketer

Sam Bhai. I agree with you mostly, apart from Aminul Islam bit. don't get me wrong. I believe Aminul Islam would not do worse than what the current bunch of youngsters are doing - pathetic to describe it best. But i strongly doubt that he would do any wonder.

As for Kapali, i want to believe that he was considered for his leg-spin ability more than his batting ability which has been shambolic quite a while. Kaps has a test hattrick in his bag and in ideal world should be a player of Afridi/S. Malik's mould, not literally but the role they play for the team i.e. 10 overs bowling in ODI and 'bits 'n pieces' in test (!) matches when the condotion is spin friendly. The only reason we expect true batsmanship from Kaps is our top order is utterly hapless. So as soon as we noticed his batting 'capability' we thought he is our messiah. And then it got complecated further as he started to concentrate on batting and failed quite a few occasions mainly due to his lack of temperament. But he's been pushed to take a role that he was not prepared at all (international cricket isn't a place to help prepare players!) Eventually, for the time being, we lost service of a decent leg-spinner who is more than useful with bat.

Shahrier Hussain is truly unlucky. Was he left out only because the selectors didn't want to pick up more than 3 openers? At some point, may be in the next series given one of the openers would fail in this series, I would like to see him back to the team.

I quite liked your team, obviously Aminul Islam would not make it anyway. I would swap his place with Rajin Saleh in test matches and Rana/Kaps in ODIs.

Edited on, September 24, 2004, 2:14 PM GMT, by Zephaniah.