View Single Post
Old July 1, 2008, 01:22 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Sakib,Mash and Tamim
Default Chopping and changing is killing our game

I seriously hate JSiddons childish 'team rule' and I'm saying that because I feel strongly about it. To me the target of 240 is not pushing us. He should have belief in the players that they can do better and allow them toplay their natural game but also be wary of opponents. I know we are capable of it and the most recent example is against India when we posted 43 runs more than his 'target' even when Ashraful and others failed to perform. The new strategies suggest to me that our talented cricketers have lost the battle even before they step onto the field when the reality is that they can do better than they think, but the manager takes blame for that.

My other major point is that while changing players is good for the long term, it is terrible fo the short term. A good example of this is Alok Kapali. He consistently failed with the bat and now after 6 years since his debut he has posted his highest ever total. That surely must be a good thing but if players like him take as long as him to score that many runs after being kept out of the team then the next major tournament is no worth to the team. Keeping players and having faith in the 15-22 most talented cricketers the country has got is really important.

Take England for example in football; the individual players are world class players and many would fit into most top clubs but because the players have been in and out of the squad due to new managers etc the team doesn't have a winning formula and consequently England have failed to reach Euro 2008. I hope you guys understand where I am coming from.

Now, however much I hate JS's new 'rules' the idea of not changing the team too much is one I like. Take Rakibul Hasan, for example: many people doubted him and he didn''t do well in the Ireland series but now he seems to be our major positive from a consistent batting poin of view. Also, many of fans might get frustrated by NazimUddin's consistent failures having not got double figures once before the Sri Lanka game. But because he has been shown faith and chances he played really good shots against Sri Lanka with a score of 47 which was only his wrong judgement when he got run out to blame. He is a talented batsmen and I like the way he gets runs without needin to loft the ball too much like his fellow batsmen. The commentators hoped he would bat a long innings but because of his run-out he couldn't. He knows when to defend and when to attack especially against fast bowlers but he needs to work on some shots, most notably cut shot just like other bangladeshis.

Going back to my point, sticking with the same team will do us good for the short term and long term because what we are lacking now is the winning formula and I believe we can challenge the bigger nations if we play to our potential and find the right mix.

Last edited by Sadz; July 1, 2008 at 01:53 PM..