View Single Post
Old March 11, 2011, 09:41 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Of Chokers and Men

I still remember that game, Nazmul and some sprightly fielding reduced Sri Lanka to 6-5 - I believe this the worst ever start by a victorious team in ODI history - in pursuit of a modest 140-ish target on a minefield of a pitch at Mirpur. We all know that Rubel, then just a 19 year old rookie, playing his 2nd game, got picked apart by Murali as we suffered a heart-breaking loss in pursuit of consecutive successes against an established side.

Apart from that, I don't remember too many games that could go either way in the dying overs. We did have a game in Pakistan that came down to the final over in 2003.

But since then, we've played a number of tight finishes, and come out on tops in all of them. First was the match in Bristol last summer. Then came three close fought games against NZ, with two of them being real nail-biters. Then the game against Ireland, and of course this one against England. By my count, thats 6 wins from 6-ultra close finish games. Thats a pretty good streak. Especially when established sides have all choked at one point this World Cup (SA v Eng, Eng v India/BD, India v Eng). South Africa in particular have choked at least 3 times this year (vs Pak in UAE, vs India at home, vs Eng a few days ago).

Just thought I'd point it out. Its obvious, but we're on a 6 streak game winning streak in this regard.

#OneTeam1Dream