View Single Post
Old July 3, 2005, 10:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Quote:
Originally posted by jabbar
In Australia, Aussie Rules and Rugby are king, and cricket is 3rd in line. In fact, with soccer becoming more popular among kids, cricket will eventually become 4th...

But, cricket is in the culture here. It's part of the landscape. The feeling of sitting back on a summer holiday and watching teh boxing day test, having a BBQ with friends - we aussies love it!

Here's my list/order:

1. India
2. Bangladesh
3. Pakistan
4. Australia
5. England
6. Sri Lanka
7. West Indies
8. South Africa
=9. New Zealand
=9. Zimbabwe
It's all a matter of location. In Melbourne or the Northern Territory Australian Rules is a religion while in Sydney the league is the big thing. I still think cricket is Australia's favourite sport along with rugby. Soccer will never be as big in this country until we start making the World Cup regularly. Cricket is the only sport we dominate, swimming is getting close but apart from the swimmers and coaches no-one cares. I would be interested in the numbers of people who compete in the respective sports in Australia. I think there's a fair chance that cricket would top them all. Rugby is really only for the eastern states and many children don't play it because it's too dangerous. I say they're soft