View Single Post
Old July 25, 2011, 02:50 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: da silva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
LBW: What you are saying is absolutely right.. I was pointing out that we need to invest more into our age groups and junior level cricket so that these 'Basic' flaws can be corrected before a player comes to national team. That was the point I am making.. Coach like Cambell, Pont, De Winter, Mccinnes and now Turner are the keys for our success, we need more of them to ensure that when the national coach comes on board, they dont have to work too much on the 'basic' technique like Siddons had to do. Watmore was brilliant enough that he brought in Owen Matao to help the senior batters which helped Bashar, Pilot, Javed etc. to a certain extent but he too complained that the batters need to really understand some basic stuff... I think unless we build the right batting foundation ( knowning where the offstump is) in our young players, we will not see a Dravid, Strauss, Amla or even Gambhir in our squad soon..
Agreed and fully understand your point. However, Siddons STILL could have done this with the national players, as he had 4 years, which was MY point. Yes, it should come from coaches below national level but like Pont and Fountain had to do AT national level, many basics were corrected which is why fielding and bowling improved at WC. The batting didn't. Pont and Fountain didn't say 'this isn't my job', they simply got on with it. Both expressed their surprise at the lack of basics skills in the national team. However, they set about correcting it.

Given the situation therefore, and the lack of basics being taught, the national coaches have to coach what's missing as part of the routine. This is why when Law said what he said he was not going to coach the players on technique, it was the wrong thing. He just has to listen to his buddy Campbell to discover what needs to happen.

The national players are not going to be 'sent back to school' by being coached at academy level, so it is up to the batting coach at national level to give them what they are missing. Also, there is no benefit from leaving them to just get on with it themselves if they haven't or don't understand what is wrong with their own game. If you leave people to do what they want, and they haven't asked for help on technique, then they will carry on with what they have. This is my real and genuine concern. Siddons didn't see it and Law has made a statement he isn't going to tell players what to do. Campbell on the other hand saw it immediately.

These month long training camps and reporting are only any good if something happens off the back of them. Let's see what happens because the record of all those before running the national team has hardly been impressive when it comes to making a competitive international batting line up. If the country is still worried about losing to the Associates then something is fundamentally flawed with the batting coaching.