View Single Post
Old August 19, 2006, 09:27 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ricky Ponting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovik
you are talking about dismissals. it depends on the bowlers to bowl some deliveries that would create some chances.
Exactly. You have to consider that our bowlers, collectively, are far weaker than those from SL, Pakistan & India. So in that regards, both in terms of dismissals & extras, you would have to expect that Mashud's career stats will not look as pretty as that of Wicketkeepers from these other nations. It is simply one of those things that is very difficult to compare (sort of like trying to compare quality players/teams of different eras).

But, as you said Miraz, one thing that is certain is that Khaled Mashud is probably the best Wicketkeeper Bangladesh has ever produced. The fact is, unfortunately, there are no better options at our disposal at this stage (in terms of a permanent quick fix). In terms of developed Wicketkeepers, well, there are none. There is a large generation gap between Mashud and our next best option, Rahim. I find this extremely hard to swallow.

And speaking of Rahim - he is still very young, and must be gradually eased into first the ODI, then Test sides. So in that regards, I do agree that the only way for this to happen is for him to play games. But we must use him sparingly, especially at this age, and considering that he is a Wicketkeeper, a potential future Bangladesh Captain, and that his best days are no doubt still in front of him. We must avoid player burn out. In my book, its a little short term pain, for much long term gain.

The potential benefits in sticking with Mashud for a further 6-12 months far outweigh the consequences, at this stage anyway. Regardless, there are far bigger fish to fry in my book. Such as the ongoing issue on whether or not to give Mr Ashraful an extended 'rest' from both sides. I just wish this issue of prematurely killing off Mashud's career would finally be put to bed. Somehow, and it is quite unfortunate really, I just cannot see this happening.