View Single Post
Old June 15, 2007, 09:53 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Good thread Ammark. Just to let you know... atleast some of us share the same frustration like you expressed in the thread-opener post. I have to admit that most of us BD fans are more interested in the glamour of cricket rather than the hard and painstaking work that takes to build a stable performing team. We are often more interested in instant results than pateint approaches. Maybe its because of the average age of our cricket fans... or maybe because of BD being a very new Test Cricket Nation.. I am not sure.

But the truth is... most of us BD fans are more focussed on 'outcome' than the 'process'. Cricketers in our country are still treated as Ducks who are supposed to lay golden eggs. Sometimes we even demand that a 'potential duck' (an underaged potential cricketer) be slaughtered (by bringing him into international circuit pre-maturely) to obtain the golden eggs way before time. So many of our fans will still suggest that they will prefer Ash's 68 of 42 balls over his possible 300 ball double-ton any day! That, in the end, merely shows how far we still got to go as Fans ... not just as a Cricket nation.

All I know is.. there is a proverb in Bangla "তাল গাছের আড়াই হাত"...which is used to indicate the last few steps towards any sort of excellence. This rural saying means that it is far easier to climb up almost to the top of a "Tal Gachh" but it is far more tougher to climb up the last আড়াই হাত and get to the top because that particular part of the তাল গাছ is actually very slippery. Bangladesh team will soon realize how this last Arai Hat actually tastes like... and I think so will the fans.... unless we take a very good look at out basic cricket structure and start working very very hard on it.