View Single Post
Old May 18, 2006, 02:00 PM
Cricket Legend

My brother moved to Toronto from Dhaka (Immigration) with his wife and kid just couple of weeks ago on 27th April. Fortunately he had a friend to host him. From airport, he took a cab and went to his friend’s house. It took just 2 days to get his apartment. He is now living in North York area. His 1-bed room apartment costs 800 Canadian dollars which includes all the utilities.

I was and am almost same kind of situation as you are in. I am too going to Toronto during the upcoming Memorial Day weekend to see my brother and help him settle down. I have never been to Toronto. I’ll fly to Buffalo and then drive from there. Having a car will certainly help to drive around for shopping and stuff.

I am taking microwave, rice cooker etc. small appliances from US. But don’t take too much. Canadian customs regulation says you can take up to $60 worth of staff for gift purposes without paying taxes. You can take as much staff as you want, but you have to bring them back with you. If you intend to leave them back in Canada to be used by Canadian residents, you have to pay taxes. For the cheap desktop computer, I purchased it online from Canadian Best Buy and they delivered to my brother’s house. I wanted to buy it from USA, but considering the Customs regulations, I went for online. The desktop package included eMachines T3120 AMD Sempron 3100+ 1.8GHz , 17" Flat CRT Monitor and Lexmark X2350 All-In-One Printer. Total cost was CDN $632 (I’ll get $50 back from it with mail-in-rebate). Delivery was free.

If the Customs restriction was not there, I would have taken everything from USA. Sales tax in Toronto is too much---15% of your purchase price!!!

Last edited by babubangla; May 18, 2006 at 03:45 PM..