View Single Post
Old November 7, 2022, 07:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_wolf
I am really interested to see why ICC opted for 4 groups of 5 teams...this have 2007 WC vive. I mean the top 8 will be divided in 4 groups with ICC thinking all of them will make it to the next round. But is ICC sure? I mean this T20 world cup showed that lesser teams can beat big teams and in a group of 5(with 2 big team)if one big team beats the other and the losing team gets beat by a lesser team as well and the lesser team wins the remaining matches Vs other lesser teams than we have 2007 like scenario. How did ICC got the balls to take that risk again..or does ICC feels India is to strong now and 2007 will not happen
There's an even greater chance for that lesser team doing the same in the second round, since that's just 4 teams in the group.

I think it would have made more sense to have some sort of playoff to give third-place team in each first round group a chance, in case of the IND/PAK WC 2007 scenario, with 2 of the third-place teams progressing, and making the second round 5 teams in each group. Or, (the less fair way) just do it by NRR from first round.

But I guess this would make the tournament go on forever...

Last edited by goru; November 7, 2022 at 08:10 PM..