View Single Post
Old January 22, 2010, 11:05 AM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i know, it was an "incorrect" statement to match sehwag's. when 18 wickets had fallen, and no top order batsmen remained, he's a clown to think the other 2 would have lasted any more than 10 overs.

in same vein, even though ishant clocked 153 in australia, he was bowling 130 on average in the first test. take a loot at aamir. he's clocked maybe 146 max...until he went to australia and supposedly passed 150 on a number of occaisions. point is, he's not that fast. and neither is ishant a 150 k bowler. even old rubel has clocked 148 in england, but he's not quite that quick either.

but on a subcontinent wicket, there was only one bowler this week who repeatedly cracked 140, often touching on 144 and that was rubel. and by repeatedly i mean two to three balls per over and at least a dozen balls per spell. there were at least a couple of spells where his slowest ball was faster than sreesanth, ishant, and zaheer's quickest balls - in the neighborhood of 135. even shahadat hit 138 in the first innings, but at the moment he's a 128 bowler who occaisionally is touching 130-133. and we all saw him hitting upwards of 142-143 against India back in 2007. doesn't mean he's that speed now.

as for kapil and kumble...they both averaged just under 30, if i recall correctly. like 29.9 or something. what i mean by under 30 is something well under 30, cuz 29.9 is just as close to 35 as it is to 25.
On a related note since you have brought Amer and Ishant , despite the myth that Indian bowling sucks ..the Indian fast bowlers managed to get 18-20 wickets in most of the matches in NZ and Australia (and SL).Compare that to the vaunted attack of Pakistan... they hardly took an avergae of 12 -14 wickets per match .Matches are not won on the basis of who bowls faster but on the basis of who gets the 20 wickets !

Yes on paper the Pak bowling attack is better than India but compare and contrast the recent NZ ,Aus and SL series that both teams played and you would see the picture.

Fans in here like to think that the Indian bowling sucks ..maybe they suck on paper but they have been consistently taking the 20 wickets needed to win Test matches.I wouldnt call them menacing or the best but at the moment I see them only behind Australia ,SA and maybe at par with England .