View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013, 02:37 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Rape punishment should be more harsh. These animals need to be harshly punsihed and need to be made an example. I don't know what the current punishment and maybe someone (Navo!) can shed more light on it.

I found this from a friend's FB and the observation is interesting --

গত দুইদিনে একটা জিনিস বুঝলাম। বাংলাদেশের যুবসমাজের একটা বড় অংশ অবদমিত যৌন আকাংখা থেকে এক ধরনের অসুস্থ যৌন ফ্যান্টাসি'তে ভুগছে।
এদের যৌন বিকারগ্রস্থ'ও বলা যায়।
যৌন শিক্ষার অভাব, নৈতিকতার চর্চার লোপ, সহজলভ্য পর্ণ কন্টেন্ট, ইন্ডিয়ান মসলা ছবি এই যৌন বিকারের পালে হাওয়া দিচ্ছে, আর পাগলা কুত্তার মত ছুটছে এই যুবক'রা! এরা ওড়নাবিহীন মেয়েতে যৌনতা খুঁজে পায়, খেলার পাতায় শারাপোভার ছবিতে উত্তেজনা বোধ করে, এমনকি রিক্সায় করে ভাইবোন গেলেও ভাবে বয়ফ্রেন্ড-গার্লফ্রেন্ড!!
এদের মধ্যে সাহসীরা রেপ করে ফেলে, একটু কম সাহসীরা ইভ টিজিং করে আর বাঁকিরা গাল-গল্প বানায়!
Right, so I'm not a criminal lawyer, but the most relevant statutes for rape in Bangladesh are:

- THE PENAL CODE, 1860:

"s. 375. A man is said to commit "rape" who except in the case hereinafter excepted, has sexual intercourse with a woman under circumstances falling under any of the five following descriptions:

Firstly. Against her will.

Secondly. Without her consent.

Thirdly. With her consent, when her consent has been obtained by putting her in fear of death, or of hurt.

Fourthly. With her consent, when the man knows that he is not her husband, and that her consent is given because she believes that he is another man to whom she is or believes herself to be lawfully married.

Fifthly. With or without her consent, when she is under fourteen years of age.

Explanation. Penetration is sufficient to constitute the sexual intercourse necessary to the offence of rape.

Exception. Sexual intercourse by a man with his own wife, the wife not being under thirteen years of age, is not rape."

"s. 376. Whoever commits rape shall be punished with [ imprisonment] for life or with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to ten years, and shall also be liable to fine, unless the woman raped is his own wife and is not under twelve years of age, in which case he shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to two years, or with fine, or with both."

So, the Penal Code, 1860 (yes, I know, it's ancient but there have been some amendments and there has been supplementary legislation) is obviously quite shockingly lenient towards 'rape'. I am particularly affronted by the idea that a man can 'legally' rape his wife.

Then, there is the PREVENTION OF OPPRESSION AGAINST WOMEN AND CHILDREN ACT OF 2000, which can be found in Bangla here: http://bdlaws.minlaw.gov.bd/pdf/835___.pdf

I'd also suggest reading this if you have't already: http://www.impowr.org/content/curren...ult-bangladesh