Thread: All About PS3!
View Single Post
Old April 5, 2010, 02:26 PM
BC T-Shirt Design Winner

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Lost all my respect for Sony. Latest update released on April 1 stops "Other OS" feature in all PS3 models. Apparently, this is in response to a Hypervisor hack(dump) that was released few weeks ago.

Lot of research facilities and govt. orgs have paid good money to get parallel ps3 executions (super computer). I wonder how they would react.
I don't think third-party organisations that use PS3 for scientific purposes need access to the Playstation Network to do whatever they do, so they should continue to be able to use those machines as they wish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bancan
I wanna know Hatebreed's thoughts on this.
Although I never got around to installing Linux on my PS3, I don't agree with Sony's decision to remove this feature completely just because of a hack. They should have come up with a defence to prevent the hack from affecting the system.

That said, I can kind of see why they acted as they did. Until now Sony did a pretty good job at preventing PS3 from being hacked/modded unlike their previous consoles and the PSP, which probably cost them hundreds of millions of $, may be more, in revenue through piracy. The reality is, PS3 is in last place; Sony spend lot of money on this machine and they can't afford to let it fall prey to piracy. All the gamers that I know never cared for this feature so I doubt it's going to affect them in the grand scheme of things.

But I still hope they will find a way to bring the feature back.