View Single Post
Old December 13, 2007, 01:34 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique
Default Announcing new BanglaCricket feature - "Not So Dizzy : Isam's Cricket Diary"

I take the privilege to announce a new BanglaCricket feature, "Not So Dizzy : Isam's Cricket Diary". This will be an exclusive diary for BanglaCricket forum members from an insider of Bangladesh Cricket.

Our new member Mohammad Isam, who goes by the nick Dizzy in our forum, has kindly agreed to write a regular cricket diary for BanglaCricket.

Isam is working for the leading English daily "The Daily Star" and has covered most cricket actions since his joining in 2006. In addition to cricket journalism, he is studying Economics in North South University. He is also playing first division cricket and is a premier league hopeful.

Here is the diary entry for Week 1, enjoy!!!

Not So Dizzy : Isam's Cricket Diary - Week 1

Bright Side

Mohammad Isam

Local cricket takes a backseat when the national team are on tour. Nobody cares if there are no stars, they say. We, the players care.

A busy Tigers schedule (New Zealand, home Tests against South Africa and a tri-nation tournament) is a blessing in disguise for the not-so-famous but willing-to-be-famous players here in Dhaka. The absence of the Tigers opens up places in teams, turns attention to some of the almost-there players and also serves up a daily dose of tight matches.

Most of the club officials are looking to make teams that have few players from the national team, under-19 side, Bangladesh A or even the BCB Academy team as these setups have tours or matches at home. They wouldn’t like it if players from these setups are called up mid-season for a camp and they are left empty-handed. Word on the market: Keep it economical; Take one Tiger and a few of the A team players.

Meanwhile, news is filtering through that a top Brothers Union official is having talks with BCB (Bangladesh Cricket Board) top-brass in a bid to fix up the whole issue outside court. But an influential and nerdy Brothers official (who holds a lot of posts in the city) is not willing to budge, I hear.

A quick solution would mean the club transfer date remains intact, translating into a lot more hustle-bustle in areas like Dhanmondi and Motijheel, two of the most influential club paras in Dhaka.

As for me, I am still having a tough time putting last season’s dreadful experience behind me.

After having two good performances in last year’s CCL (Corporate Cricket League) under my belt, I almost signed for a small (now relegated) premier league club Indira Road but they turned me down in the last minute, leaving me no option but to sign fatefully for First Division side CCS (Cricket Coaching School). It turned out to be the worst two months in my life.

That depression caused me to gain almost 10 kilos (emotional eating) over the last 6-7 months and although I lost two kilos in the last month, it is never easy. But I have had talks with a few ‘agents’ (experienced players, organizers, etc) and things look positive so far.

But as for now, I am again a Mr Nobody. Truly, sports can be cruel when you are down.

Highlight of the week:
• A smiling Tushar Imran asking me not to write anymore ‘beautiful’ stories until he scores some runs in New Zealand;
• Khondaker Mirazur Rahman, BanglaCricket editor, telling me to start this diary.

Next week:
• Victory Day celebrations;
• Gym with overweight ladies (no kidding);
• Friendly in Uttara Friends Club ground on Monday.