View Single Post
Old June 3, 2009, 07:11 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: None Specifically
Thumbs up Shakib's moving on up.

Shakib revealed after Tuesday's narrow defeat to Sri Lanka, during which he returned figures of 2-18 and hit a quickfire 23, that he is considering an offer to play for an English county.
"I have an English agent and he is negotiating with a county club," explained Shakib, "so hopefully if I get the chance I will play for a county. I can't tell you exactly what is going on at the moment but negotiations are ongoing."
The 22-year-old is currently ranked the number one all-rounder in one-day internationals but remains modest over whether he can translate that form into the shorter game.
"This is a new format for me," he said. "I've done well in ODIs but I don't know a lot about Twenty20. I did well in the warm-ups so my confidence will be high and I'm looking for a treat."
As well as his efforts against Sri Lanka at Trent Bridge, Shakib struck 54 off 29 balls at the same venue on Monday against Australia.
He remains coy as to whether further success could lead to an Indian Premier League contract in the future, having seen two of his compatriots (Mohammad Ashraful and Mashrafe Mortaza ) feature in the last tournament.
"I think you should ask the IPL committee!," joked Shakib. "I didn't expect to get the chance so if I get it in the future that will be a bonus."
Shakib believes his team should go into their opening match, against India at Trent Bridge on Saturday, in good spirits after showing up well during their warm-up matches.
"Preparation has gone very well," Shakib stated. "We have defeated two teams [Scotland and Netherlands] who are below us [in the rankings] and did very well against teams like New Zealand, Australia and Sri Lanka. We posed them all problems, the matches were very close and those are positives we can take into the tournament proper."