View Single Post
Old June 24, 2013, 05:09 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum_1
I don't think he's underrated. He gets quite a lot of respect as being one of the best bowlers in world cricket, and deservingly so. If anything, its his then partner Fanie de Villiers who is somewhat underrated. I remember him causing more trouble to the batsmen than Donald in many occasions.
yeah fanie is underrrated, imo both names get missed to often in discussions about fast bowlers. i'm not saying donald doesn't get a lot of respect but for his ability and the numbers he put out his name doesn't get mentioned very often when talking about the best fast bowlers. not many can match his record. how many fast bowlers have 300+ test wickets striking at under 50? not that many. there's marshall, waqar, steyn and then donald, trueman also has 300+ (307) and strikes under 50 (49.4). also only 5 players to take 300+ wickets have a better average: mcgrath, ambrose, marshall, willis, trueman. of those 7 players i just mentioned only marshall and steyn equal or better the number of wickets taken per test match (trueman is very close, if you take it to one decimal point then trueman equals donald). he averages above 30 in only 1 country (32.38 in pakistan).

his numbers put him in a very select group and although he does get a lot of respect, it doesn't seem like enough. i'm not saying he is THE best, but he certainly deserves to be mentioned as a contender for the top 5 greatest fast bowlers ever.