View Single Post
Old November 1, 2012, 06:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
If the above comment is genuine, it kinda sums up the issues in Bangladesh Cricket IMO. It is wrong on two levels (mixing T20 and then opener versus middle order).

Whether or not a player is good enough for Test cricket is one thing, but to misuse T20 cricket as the guide, is simply staggering.

My faith in Bangladesh selectors, which was never very good has just dropped off the chart.

I believe it doesn't matter who coaches the team anymore, or what plans anyone has for the team, if this is how justification for decisions is going to be made.
In general, yes, you are correct. But I feel that in general our selectors have done an honest job for the most part. Their hindsights, whenever they ocurred, are more a problem of our limitations. Ashraful has over 200 caps because we really never had anyone better. Even for this WI series, unless the selectors make gutsy calls and draft Soumya, Anamul, and Mominul we are guaranteed to have at least one or two batsman who don't provide any advantage over having an Ashraful.

Secondly, I think some of the major sides also engage in a bit of this "optimistic selection" albeit not as regularly as we do. I remember during the 2010 England tour, when Eoin Morgan made his debut, the commies on TMS where saying that Morgan's selection was particularly under the microscope since he hadn't made "a mountain of first class runs" and was selected on his T20/ODI reputation of being a "game-maker".

West Indies have done that with Narine. Possibly with Bishoo as well. I think Ajantha Mendis got his start with Sri Lanka in similar unconventional fashion.

#OneTeam1Dream