View Single Post
Old February 5, 2010, 08:18 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace
It has been a privilege to read some of the great analytical posts in this thread from Beamer, Miraz, Mahmood, Maximillan et al. However, I do not agree that there is a real concern at the moment. Cricket is a game where no nation is expected to overtake other great cricketing nations overnight who have been playing top class cricket for decades. Improvement is a gradual process which takes time. I strongly believe that over the past five years we have improved significantly although we are not world beater yet. This can be evidenced in the comparison between the progressions of other nation such as Zimbabwe. Our progression is as such significant that we can beat Zimbabwe soundly in any form of game, despite being younger in terms of time of berth in Test cricket. One may argue, Zimbabwe’s progression was jeopardised by political conflicts.
At this stage, our progression need to be measured on the basis of individual performance rather than collectively, being a young test playing nation. A few years back, it was rare to see a century scored by our batsmen or a four/five wicket haul by a bowler. We see that more frequently now. We used to get beaten by inning but we are not getting now. These are all signs of gradual improvement. Once, in the near future, when collective improvement will be made, we will be able to beat the world’s best consistently.
Patient is required by all parties including fans, management, players, coach et al. There is no reason to panic; we will get there surely but slowly. Panic will cause conflict among involved parties and will disturb our progression only.
If you guys keep asking to kick out different players after each game, we may soon find no players to play for BD in the near future. Same can be said for coaching and management staffs.
Our cricketers are like our fans, no patient whatsoever. Every ball a BD batsman plays is like an every thread a BC member responds.
We may need to think differently.
Great great post..i can understand everyones frustration at the team at the moment and I am also frustrated how badly we lost 2 New Zealand because we play well in spurts but overall we do really need time..New Zealand has played cricket a lot longer than us..they played test matches from the 1950's whereas we started in 2000 and even then we should have started later to be honest..People are really hounding down Jamie Siddons but look at how many of our players credited him to their batting..a lot of our batsmen were basically young talented but raw batsmen and tamim was a perfect example..since the 50 against india till now he has improved a lot..pretty soon the guy can average a 40 in both tests and ODIs which would really be significant especially considering he's an opener..mahmudullah was getting bashed like crazy on the forum for a while..reminds me of what the members are doing now to raqibul..but mahmudullah has really come a long way and pretty soon he can average a 40 with the bat in both forms of the game..raqibul and shakib are completely out of form with the bat but these guys can also average a 40 in both forms of the game once they get going..mushfiq even though hasn't batted well in ODIs..he's done very well in tests..naeem pretty soon can average 40 in ODIs and if he gets chances in tests he can be a great player in that arena as well..now looking in to our pacers it seems shahadat is getting his form back and shafiul has turned out to be a great find..rubel is a great talent but he really needs time before he can be a regular for us..with time and experience the guy will be a gem for us..i believe the team managment has got the right core of players now..remember last year was really a calander full of minnows..this year is a lot tougher with us playing india, sri lanka, and in new zealand..and then we got the england tour of BD and also play them in england..these are very tough tours we are playing in..people have to remember how young our team is also..most of the players are 22-23..i believe it will take time before we started to taste success..i say it will take 3-4 more years before we start to taste series victories..as Peace bhai said we can't just throw players out left and right..these are our core players and our future.. as i said in my other posts we need our players to go and play in county cricket for england which would make them more experienced and give them exposure to different pitches.. with time we will turn out to be a dangerous team..we the fans will have to be patient which is very very hard..but i know we can do it and we have to keep on believing..