View Single Post
Old October 21, 2012, 08:16 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

my problem with naeem isn't what he's doing, it's the structure of the test team and positions available. imo the only batting spots available are #2 and #3 and mominul imo deserves the #3 spot, he's been the best A team batsman, just scored a ton and is probably more talented than naeem. spots 4-7 are filled by shakib, nasir and mushy. you could bat mushy at #7 (even though he's shown to be a very capable test match batsman), and i guess you could also move shakib and nasir down the order to allow naeem to bat at #4 or #5 but shakib has to bat in the top 5, #6 is to low for your best batsman which means nasir is left at #6 which imo is to low for him. nasir can play a similar innings to naeem, he has a cool head on his shoulders and can pull out big scores, we know he can be successful at the international level because he's already proved it in ODIs and he's been solid to-date in tests.

given that nasir and shakib are much more proven than naeem internationally, and even mushy (check his stats of the last 3 or so years). why take the gamble on naeem? nasir, shakib and mushy all have as good as or better test match records as naeem. 'don't fix what ain't broke' we're trying to fix something that doesn't need fixing. our test middle order should clearly be nasir, shakib and mushy in the 4-6 spots. #7 should go to a keeper or an allrounder. mominul deserves the #3 spot so if you're comfortable with naeem opening then fine he can be in the team as opener but otherwise i don't see a spot for him.

he should be the next in line middle order batsman though (unless shuvagata puts in some good performances), so he gets a spot in the squad as a back-up batsman but i think the playing XI doesn't have a spot for him at this point. for openers i'd either stick with nazimuddin or debut anamul. you could attempt naeem as opener, but he's made his batting success as a middle order batsman so it's a gamble, i realise the same can be said of nazimuddin but in his international career he's been an opener or #3 so he has more experience there at this point than naeem and he's done no worse than naeem in tests so far.