View Single Post
Old April 27, 2007, 07:25 AM
Test Cricketer

Default ten Doeschate... the next Tikolo, the next Ponting, the next Bradman?

Well, maybe not the next Bradman, but as I posted in a similar topic about ten Doeschate a few months ago, the guy has some serious talent.

He had a decent World Cup, with 128 runs at 64.00, Netherlands leading run scorer by a long margin. He has an ODI average of 56.90. I watched his 70* against Scotland, and from what I can remember, technically he is very good.

But his First Class average is what is most impressive, 1476 runs at 67.09, including 7 centuries and 3 fifties. Many of which were at Intercontinental Cup level, including a 259*, but now he's ripping it up at county level too. Just smashed 148 for Essex against Glamorgan.

For so long, Tikolo has been regarded the best batsman outside Test cricket. And he probably still is, considering he has sustained an average of over 50 in First Class cricket for over 10 years (currently he averages 55.82). I tell you though, ten Doeschate is a gun, and really is the next big thing at associate level. Like Tikolo, he's also a handy bowler... an average of 26.95 at ODI level is pretty decent. High economy rate lets him down though.

He was born in South Africa, so it will be interesting to see if he ever returns to have a crack at Test level.