View Single Post
Old March 17, 2009, 05:34 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

rimon, read about the concept and also googled a bit.

I guess some differences in the situations between a baseball club and a cricketing nation need to be emphasised :

a baseball club has to compete with other clubs for the same pool of players
a national cricket team can get the very best of the talent pool.

which means that unless the talent hunt itself doesn't throw up good players, there isn't much a selection body can do, be it club level or national.
and due to the competition, a club with a smaller budget has to go for cost-effective players, NOT SO for a national team, they can get the VERY BEST the country has to offer.

The ONLY part that I feel is relevant to BD cricket is the part about prediction of future talents.
however I think cricket with all its statistics and analysis already does that reasonably well.
it would be interesting to know what new parameters this concept uses and the cricketing parallels. may be this can be improved.

for a country to come up with a good talent pool it is essential that the sports is seen as viable livelihood, evn if he is not a regular in the national side.
what is the current situation in bangladesh ?
can a good first class player who plays regularly for his side but can't break into the national team make enough money over his career to justify it ?