View Single Post
Old September 11, 2012, 05:20 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
I agree Sohel bhai, Essaouira (or Mogador) is incredible. People there like to say that when Jimi Hendrix went there he fell in love with the place. And who wouldn't? Beautiful buildings, all with a sky blue hue, set against the backdrop of the Atlantic; an ever present fresh, salty breeze from the ocean; religio-ethnic harmony (Jews, Muslims and Christians have cohabited peacefully there for centuries!); Gnawa music festivals and fresh seafood!!

No wonder Orson Welles decided to shoot his take on "Othello" there!
The very first time I went there was with my late father (RIP) in 1984. Both of us being huge Orson Welles fans, it was an impromptu adventure decided over tea in Marrakech during an official visit. I keep going back there every chance I get.

Interesting how more and more locals speak English and German now, no doubt because of the huge number of tourists from Germany and English speaking countries.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)