View Single Post
Old September 18, 2014, 03:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Great post. Million dollar question now for every Bangladeshi cricket fan. We all wish we could get the correct answer so that we could resolve, but its not so easy.

I guess both parties are to blame.

Honestly if we played Zimbabwe in Zimbabwe at this point, we would lose there as well. Who knows we might even struggle against Ireland in their conditions. I dont think our guys are at all prepared to play in foreign conditions, especially in the longer format. Coach after coach from Gordon Greenidge have told BCB to restructure domestic cricket, prepare lively, sporting wickets. Even now our domestic team captains wont hesitate to give the new ball to spinners. So whatever first class cricket we play at home, it simply doesnt count as it lacks the competitiveness, good players, and poor wickets which never tests the batsmen. Must also mention a lot of the things we used to do well are ceasing. Those days all age group teams used to be coached by experienced Sri Lankans. We had two top Under 19 coaches in McIness, De Winter. Now after McIness's resignation the academy is leaderless, not to mention BCB never paid heed to the projects recommended by the Australian. Selection too always debatable. Why pick Elias Sunny for example who wasnt in the top 25? What logic? How are we expecting such a young guy like Taijul Islam to lead our attack?

Players also need to be held accountable. True they dont have the right platform to hone their skills. But an Irish or Zimbabwean player with lesser talent would perform a lot better than most of our guys simply because of better application, thinking, general attitude towards work, discipline etc. Why does Tamim need to be spoon fed so much? Why did Sohag Gazi need Saqlain Mushtaq around to bowl well? Its as if they are kindergarten children not willing to work hard or learn on their own. What saddens me is the repeated mistakes they make, and their unwillingness to learn from experience-even the best of them.