View Single Post
Old September 13, 2017, 11:39 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: A few

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar
On the one hand, I feel that the timing of this sabbatical is very wrong. SAF are a very strong team, and all teams in the world.would field their strongest side. Shakib is no doubt an important cog, a vital cog. So on the surface the decision seems selfish and leads one to believe he is saving himself for T20 leagues (i.e. $$)

On the other hand, this might be a master stroke, and I wouldn't be surprised if the BCB/Hathuri have had a hand in it. SAF offer seamING pitches, so as good as Shakib is as a bowler he is unlikely to collect 5-fers or match 10-fers. The seam bowlers led by Fizz are going to get most of the wickets. Fizz's return to form in the second Aussie test is timely in that regard. So Shakib's bowling may not be missed, especially with Miraz and Taijul bowling well (the team may decide to bowl only one of Miraz/Taijul if pitches are seaming). Furthermore, the batting has become too dependent on Shakib. He is also often fatigued in the second innings, as indicated by his woeful second innings batting average. So the team needs to find another go to guy, and having Shakib out will force guys to step up. Someone outside of the "Big 5" (if you include Mullah) needs to step up, preferably a young gun. With Mossadek out, I'm pinning my hopes on Sabbir, Liton and/ or Soumya.

There is always a silver lining.
Ditto. I see more good than harm in this. It's high time other players learn to step up instead of relying on Shakib to do all the work, especially the junior players.