facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 26, 2012, 02:44 PM
LateCut's Avatar
LateCut LateCut is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,371
Default Can someone explain what the term "natural game" means?

Can someone explain what the term "natural game" means? I am at a loss to find a meaning of this phrase that makes sense. I am just being awed by the gritty 2nd inning played by SA to save the match. Everybody put a value on their wicket mostly in vain. There was only one player who had the strike rate above 50. It was that of Amla who perished at 17. The man who single handedly forced a draw had a strike rate of 29. Faf Du Plessis was standing unconquered at 110 when the wistle blew. Was it his natural game? I do not think so judging from his stats in ODI and T20s stat (could not find his FC stat). What is striking is that this was his first and only test at the ripe old age of 28. Contrast this with our most succesfull batsman. This stat spans among tests, ODIs and T20Is at 60, 80 and 100 (roughly). Compare that with that of Plessis' (35, 88 and 155). Who is more aggrssive when it counts? Certainly not Tamim. Tamims strike rates are simillart to Graeme Smith's whose test average is close to 50 (as compared to 38. for Tamim). Our state of affirs for other batsmen is more abysmal in this respect. Similar analysis on other BD players shows the Kamikazi mentality even more pronouncedly. Is the natural game means playing on the backfoot irrespective of the length of the ball, trying to hook or pull anything short, charge out of the crease when in doubt, try to blast the ball out of the stadium to punctuate a personal milestone or at nevous nineties? I doubt it. I for one do not believe that we have the talent to play test cricket. I think we play our "natural game" to hide our inadequecy of skill (and talent). It is an excuse that is too easy to invoke (i.e. he got out playing his natural game). We resort to it freely and often at the face of each failure. If a lesson is not learned then it just might be coded in the DNA and cannot be altered. Thus I would wish that the current crop of BD players get out of test cricket and form a Russian Roulette team instead. Test cricket is a vintage to be sipped not gulped.
__________________
"....no victory or loss is final. They will compete again tomorrow and there will be another shot at redemption." Sambit Bal
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,752

I don't know the true definition of the term "natural game". But I can give some examples. Ther term "natural game", came a lot during discussion about Ashraful. So lets take him as an example:

Examples of "natural game": All of Ashraful's innings where he scored 50+.

Example of "un-natural game": All of Ashraful's innings where he failed to score double digit.
__________________
Stop that “chudurbudur”
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
NoName's Avatar
NoName NoName is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 9, 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 2,844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazal
Examples of "natural game": All of Ashraful's innings where he scored 50+.

Example of "un-natural game": All of Ashraful's innings where he failed to score double digit.
Actually its the other way around, 'natural game' is usually the one you keep doing consistently, which in his case is failing to score double digits, or scoring 20s.
__________________
"Life is a dream from which we all must wake."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
BANFAN's Avatar
BANFAN BANFAN is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 26, 2007
Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam
Posts: 16,689

The game Tamim played in this test series....that's his natural Game... And the game JOBG used to play in ODIs that was his natural game...

Example of Two extremes of Natural game.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 26, 2012, 03:12 PM
roman's Avatar
roman roman is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 18, 2004
Location: New York
Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash
Posts: 10,860

Bherry chimpol..Naseral game means I go out there, play some ura dhura shots, get the fans all excited. And then throw my wicket away.

Natural game can also be labelled as killing multiple birds with one stone. For example with quick 20-30 runs guarantees a sport for you and then u can throw your wicket.away so that you don't get exhausted, then look surprised and depressed to make people believe that you were.unlucky and then.comes the best part...You rush back to the dressing room and start stuffing your mouth with biriyani which you started eating before you went to bat..
__________________
The mind is like a parachute, it only works when open.....Thomas Dewey
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
Fazal's Avatar
Fazal Fazal is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: September 16, 2004
Posts: 15,752

To further elaborate roman's explaination, a player's natural game can alter based on natural cause also. For exmaple peshab chaple a player may forget about coach's instruction and start playing his natural game.
__________________
Stop that “chudurbudur”
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 26, 2012, 03:18 PM
oronnya oronnya is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: October 19, 2011
Favorite Player: Shak,TI,Mash,Mushy,Dravid
Posts: 3,711

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateCut
Can someone explain what the term "natural game" means? I am at a loss to find a meaning of this phrase that makes sense. I am just being awed by the gritty 2nd inning played by SA to save the match. Everybody put a value on their wicket mostly in vain. There was only one player who had the strike rate above 50. It was that of Amla who perished at 17. The man who single handedly forced a draw had a strike rate of 29. Faf Du Plessis was standing unconquered at 110 when the wistle blew. Was it his natural game? I do not think so judging from his stats in ODI and T20s stat (could not find his FC stat). What is striking is that this was his first and only test at the ripe old age of 28. Contrast this with our most succesfull batsman. This stat spans among tests, ODIs and T20Is at 60, 80 and 100 (roughly). Compare that with that of Plessis' (35, 88 and 155). Who is more aggrssive when it counts? Certainly not Tamim. Tamims strike rates are simillart to Graeme Smith's whose test average is close to 50 (as compared to 38. for Tamim). Our state of affirs for other batsmen is more abysmal in this respect. Similar analysis on other BD players shows the Kamikazi mentality even more pronouncedly. Is the natural game means playing on the backfoot irrespective of the length of the ball, trying to hook or pull anything short, charge out of the crease when in doubt, try to blast the ball out of the stadium to punctuate a personal milestone or at nevous nineties? I doubt it. I for one do not believe that we have the talent to play test cricket. I think we play our "natural game" to hide our inadequecy of skill (and talent). It is an excuse that is too easy to invoke (i.e. he got out playing his natural game). We resort to it freely and often at the face of each failure. If a lesson is not learned then it just might be coded in the DNA and cannot be altered. Thus I would wish that the current crop of BD players get out of test cricket and form a Russian Roulette team instead. Test cricket is a vintage to be sipped not gulped.

You are right. Sometimes I wonder if we the fans can understand this then how come they being professional cricketer doesn't know that the key to be a successful test batsman is to stay at the crease as long as possible. But I think more than their arrogance it's the lack of good techniques and shot selection which forces them to play extravagant shots. They seriously lacks the techniques to survive for a long period of time. As you've mentioned that they tries to hook and pull going on their backfoot irrespective of the length of the ball which just proves they simply can't judge the ball. Also we have seen them trying to hit a ball outside the off stump and get a thick edge, again the times they want to leave those they gets bowled which just proves either they have no idea where their offstump is or they don't know which ball to play and which one to leave. Like Tamim did during this test and seeing Tamim getting out like that what Naeem did is he started to play every ball and got out by inviting a ball to hit his stumps.

So these stupidity goes on and on and no one is there to take some time and fix this. BD is always thinking about short term result and so are the players. The players thinks ok I don't have time to develop better techniques or fix the shortcomings so why don't I I just charge the bowlers so the opposition goes to a defensive mode and I score some quick runs and secure my place in the team. But now every other team has figured out how we play and how weak we are against short balls and all. So they let us score some quick runs as they know they will eventually deceive the batsman and will get him out. I think there is serious problem in the way these current lot of players were trained from their young age. They simply don't have it in them. May be because in the domestic circuit all they have to do is go for some flashy shots to get quick runs and get selected.

Also I think they are also afraid to change their approach as they think they might not be successful if they change their style. Ash is a great example of that. He is still left as a confused player. Tamim too looks confused when he tries to slow down and play patiently. I don't think you'll see any change in their approach in this generation of players. They will keep scoring with those extravagant shots as that's how they've been successful. May be if we can guide the next generation of player in the proper direction and try to build up a culture of playing patiently with proper cricketing shot only then you might see some changes. For that to happen you have to come through a strict and organized FC system and there comes the same pachal again. So we are stuck in a vicious cycle now and someone will seriously have to take steps to get these players come out of that cycle.
__________________
"Shakib Al Hasan to Azhar Ali, OUT, a beauty from the Bangladeshi Superman! Shakib gets the runs, Shakib gets the wickets. " CI
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 26, 2012, 03:38 PM
Ian Pont's Avatar
Ian Pont Ian Pont is offline
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach
 
Join Date: February 1, 2011
Posts: 1,351

Something is natural and thus becomes natural when you do it often enough.

To change what is natural has to be a result of repetition, for the new action to be felt as natural.

If you always slog, hit out and don"t think when you bat, then this is your natural game. To change it, you would need to start batting responsibly until that became natural.
__________________
"One day I was thinking, 'Thank God Sehwag was not born in Bangladesh'. If he was, he would have forgotten how to play cricket" - Tamim Iqbal
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 26, 2012, 04:39 PM
Zeeshan's Avatar
Zeeshan Zeeshan is offline
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: March 9, 2008
Posts: 25,576

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Pont
Something is natural and thus becomes natural when you do it often enough.

To change what is natural has to be a result of repetition, for the new action to be felt as natural.

If you always slog, hit out and don"t think when you bat, then this is your natural game. To change it, you would need to start batting responsibly until that became natural.
This....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
meazz1's Avatar
meazz1 meazz1 is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 15, 2007
Location: GA, USA
Posts: 1,170

Natural game is to go and hit every ball as you wish.
We see that day in and day out with our sissies.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 26, 2012, 04:42 PM
zsayeed zsayeed is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,912

... bhai if practice can change nature then there would be no divorces...
__________________
I Want to Believe
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
BANFAN's Avatar
BANFAN BANFAN is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: March 26, 2007
Favorite Player: Shak-Ash-Tam
Posts: 16,689

Quote:
Originally Posted by zsayeed
... bhai if practice can change nature then there would be no divorces...
Disagree.... practice is the most effective way to change nature. Because it is someone's practices since the childhood that build his nature....it's a set of behavior that you get so used to, that it becomes your instinctive action/reflex to a set of circumstances.... You you would have been grown up in a different environment practicing different things, your nature would be different....

But yes, hardcore natures are difficult to change and may need harder efforts and prolonged durations of practice.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 26, 2012, 07:17 PM
LateCut's Avatar
LateCut LateCut is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 4, 2005
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,371

I think there is a good point made by coach Pont. A few months ego, I read about an study where they found that in any random sample of population there is a group of people who are genetically predisposed to become alcoholics. But not all of them in this group turn out to become alcoholic. It largely depended on the social climate where they spent their early adult life and the norms that existed at their home. More interestingly, some of those who developed this habbit were actually able to curb it at a later part of their adult life through encouragements, interventions and/or various other influences (religion, mentors, peer group etc.). May be we should emulate this in cricket in some way. Perhaps, our players should be paid by the number of balls they survive or the number of times they rotate the strike (and certianly not by the number of runs they score). We should have a national award for carryng the bat through the end of inning in FC cricket. It may take a few years o produce tangible results. We need to try new approaches to break this nasty urge to hit the ball past the rope no matter what the situation calls for. As a fan we should applaud when a batsman gets off the strike just as loudly when they hit an immaculately timed sqaure drive.,
__________________
"....no victory or loss is final. They will compete again tomorrow and there will be another shot at redemption." Sambit Bal

Last edited by LateCut; November 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 26, 2012, 07:49 PM
zsayeed zsayeed is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: April 19, 2007
Posts: 4,912

....hmmm it appears that this is a classic nature vs. nurture issue... never cut and dried.
__________________
I Want to Believe
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 26, 2012, 09:55 PM
Roey Haque's Avatar
Roey Haque Roey Haque is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 26, 2012
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Posts: 1,778

Ian broke it down perfectly. But the OP might consider "game" to be a metaphor for skills here. For example he has mad game when it comes to fielding. Translation: He is an excellent fielder.

So to have natural game in this regard is a very grand compliment indeed. Because, firstly to have "game" is to already have skills. And then on top of that, you are saying that this "game" comes naturally to you.

So "natural game" in my hood= gifted skills.


Peace out and keep it 100,
Roey
__________________
His excellency, Shere Bangla, descendent of Tipu Sultan, the Uniter of the Two Bengals, the Wily Bengali, the prince of all things cool, I present you Roey Haque the 1st.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket