facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old January 13, 2010, 01:39 PM
Tiger Manc's Avatar
Tiger Manc Tiger Manc is offline
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
Posts: 4,951

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I am not sure whether he would be as effective as an opener. A better approach might be to elevate both Naeem and Mahmudullah one spot and see whether that works. If it does, keep elevating one spot until it fails. Then we will know the highest batting positions that these two are suited for.
Yeah I agree. I would do it after the NZ series though because I want to see how Mushy does with the bat. If Mahmudullah outperforms him then I would bump Mahmudullah up the order. I would wait for the England series to finish and then do the same to Naeem Islam. It would be interesting to see if Mahmudullah keeps his batting performances and srtrike rate up because then we may have to start discussing a top 5 batting position for him.
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old January 13, 2010, 01:51 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 6,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger manc
india and sri lanka didn't even field a full strength line up against us and yet they still won with relative ease.
dew!!!!!!

it was impossibly for any team to win, bowling second with a wet ball, wet outfield and damp pitch, especially when your best bowlers are spinners
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old January 13, 2010, 02:26 PM
Russell2k7 Russell2k7 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: March 18, 2007
Location: Garden State
Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Posts: 5,500

^then how come Indian mediocre spinners did good with the wet balls?
Yes Tigermanc we should first try to get to 7 or 8 spot. #5 is unrealistic.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old January 13, 2010, 03:00 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 12,045

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Shouldn't the title say road to top 8? There's a huge gap between and #9 and #8. Once we get to #8, then we can say we have acheived something and we can start talking about #5, but with our pace department, we won't be getting to #8 very soon. We put too much pressure on the spinners to take wickets and be economical. We have to wait for batsman to throw away their wickets rather than bowl good deliveries. I think batting and spin department we certainly have potential. Even Shuvo and M. Hasan will be top class in the future and we have R. Talukder, but pace bowling wise we don't have anyone at the moment other than Rubel Hossain, but he's got a long long way to go before he becomes the finished article.
there are a number of pacers with a good amount of talent other than rubel i.e. subashis roy, sajidul islam, shafiul, emon ahmed, robin, shahadat. aside from those we also have mash, nazmul and rasel. rubel certainly isn't the only pacer prospect we have.
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old January 13, 2010, 03:03 PM
_Rafi_'s Avatar
_Rafi_ _Rafi_ is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: June 17, 2007
Location: UK
Favorite Player: Sakib,KP,Steyn
Posts: 4,073

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell2k7
^then how come Indian mediocre spinners did good with the wet balls?
Yes Tigermanc we should first try to get to 7 or 8 spot. #5 is unrealistic.
there was not much dew in the final. And Harvi is a very good spinner.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old January 13, 2010, 03:40 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 6,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell2k7
^then how come Indian mediocre spinners did good with the wet balls?
the final had the least dew, and did they win? (no)
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old January 13, 2010, 04:59 PM
RazabQ's Avatar
RazabQ RazabQ is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 25, 2004
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 11,850

To answer Miraz's question on how to get to the top 5. We need to do a pacer hunt - in the UK and Australia. Seriously - we should scout anyone who could get a BD passport through parentage and grab some promising players. Let's face it - if you are on the County 2nd XI on a regular basis, you have a better chance of playing Test cricket for BD than for England. It's even harder in Australia where there could be many a promising Bangladeshi-Australian playing Grade Cricket who'd never even make it to Sheffield Shield (or Pura Cup or whatever it is these days). We should grab them. I seem to recall Nafi's cousing was already bowling 80Mph + and he was a teen. Why shouldn't he play for BD?
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old January 13, 2010, 05:14 PM
SS SS is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: February 24, 2004
Posts: 9,943

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
To answer Miraz's question on how to get to the top 5. We need to do a pacer hunt - in the UK and Australia. Seriously - we should scout anyone who could get a BD passport through parentage and grab some promising players. Let's face it - if you are on the County 2nd XI on a regular basis, you have a better chance of playing Test cricket for BD than for England. It's even harder in Australia where there could be many a promising Bangladeshi-Australian playing Grade Cricket who'd never even make it to Sheffield Shield (or Pura Cup or whatever it is these days). We should grab them. I seem to recall Nafi's cousing was already bowling 80Mph + and he was a teen. Why shouldn't he play for BD?
Great suggestion and totally agree if we can allow players of BD-Aus or BD-Eng origin who are fast bowlers it will help us get good pacers. I am not saying that BD pacers should not be selected but looking at our history and overall pacer grooming program I doubt we will get world class pacer. Irish players perfect example who stay in England but play for Ireland. But the question is will BD-Aus or BD-Eng players can get into pacer hunt or national team selection process?
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old January 13, 2010, 05:17 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 6,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
We should grab them. I seem to recall Nafi's cousing was already bowling 80Mph + and he was a teen. Why shouldn't he play for BD?
Oh hold it there, just because I played a few junior minor country matches, and hit 80mph (once!) when I was 16, doesnt mean anything. My average bowls were 75mph. Fast for my age, yes, but nothing special

I wasnt bowling 80-90mph at 16! (though if i got myself into exercise routine for a few months, I reckon I could do that now at 18)

A lot of guys around my age, who play in the under-19 country circuit, aren't that great.

Yes most of us have pace, but thats because we were brought up different diets and a lot of the pacers I know are either 6ft 2+ or built like tanks. I myself, I'm a modest height, 5ft 10 (178cm). Quite a few bowl even 85 mph, but they have horrible line and length, no real understanding of bowling to your field, and doesnt even understand the proper techniques of swing bowling.

Tbh I have only met one other bengali pacer as well, who has played county, forgot his name, think it was jamal sumthin. Reality is Bangladeshi-British kids, dont bother playing cricket beyond tape ball. I dont think there's even more than two pacers of Bangladesh origin who is playing for a first class team atm in England. They are either from London and too poor or dont have the opportunities to take up the sport. And those more privelaged kids such as myself are pressured by our parents to take up academics rather than sports. (asian mentality) Cricket isnt a high paying, unless you have a central contract fro ECB themselves.

But none of the other guys from minor county sides or even major county 2nd XI, are worth anything.

Besides kids like me, are more interested in academics than sport, there's hardly any money in cricket

My cricket plans, are just joining my University cricket side (loughborough) and playing first class cricket for them. Get my name on cricinfo lol. And after my undergraduate studies, I'll realistically leave any semi-professional cricket.
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''

Last edited by Nafi; January 13, 2010 at 06:29 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old January 13, 2010, 06:22 PM
RazabQ's Avatar
RazabQ RazabQ is offline
Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 25, 2004
Location: Fremont CA
Posts: 11,850

Nafi - time for you to change your goals!
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old January 13, 2010, 06:32 PM
al Furqaan's Avatar
al Furqaan al Furqaan is online now
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: February 18, 2004
Location: New York City
Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Posts: 24,235

one of my third cousins had a contract with a county second XI (my guess), he described himself as a playing "semi-pro" cricket...but he hurt his knee - was hobbling around the house when i met him - and then lost his contract before he got called up for Middlesex's main squad.

he told me that before his injury he was clocking 90 mph - which a lot of medium pacers can do in england, btw - and that in his reckoning the fastest BD bowler ever was talha jubair. growing up in chittagong, but being from sylhet orignally, he had played with the likes of tapash baisya, etc.

i tried looking him up on cricinfo, but i didn't find anything, but perhaps anyone who is familiar with the chittagong or sylhet cricket circles might recall a teen-age all-rounder by the name of Syed Monirul Islam.
__________________
Bangladesh: Our Dream, Our Joy, Our Team

#OneTeam1Dream
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old January 13, 2010, 06:38 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 6,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
i tried looking him up on cricinfo, but i didn't find anything, but perhaps anyone who is familiar with the chittagong or sylhet cricket circles might recall a teen-age all-rounder by the name of Syed Monirul Islam.
You only get on cricinfo, if you played list A/FC/ T20 qualified domestic games.

Even County 2nd XI teams dont play matches qualified as first class matches, they have the to be the first team of any institution.

The institution I want to play for is the Loughborough UCCE team, which have first class status, and one of the top university teams. They have given me offer to study there for economics, and given me an invitation for trials for the cricket teams.
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old January 13, 2010, 08:07 PM
Gowza Gowza is offline
Cricket Guru
 
Join Date: July 15, 2007
Location: Australia
Favorite Player: Mike Procter
Posts: 12,045

it's not like BD has no players with decent pace: sajidul, shafiul, rubel, old shahadat, mash when he gets going and is fit, emon ahmed, abul hasan, alauddin babu and sumon saha, subashis roy, robiul are supposed to be reasonable pace. ok there is a lack of 140+ bowlers but 130+ is good enough pace at the international level as long as the other skills are up to par. BD just need to hold lots of workshops for their 130+ bowlers working on line, length and variations.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old January 15, 2010, 02:12 PM
Tiger Manc's Avatar
Tiger Manc Tiger Manc is offline
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
Posts: 4,951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
You only get on cricinfo, if you played list A/FC/ T20 qualified domestic games.

Even County 2nd XI teams dont play matches qualified as first class matches, they have the to be the first team of any institution.

The institution I want to play for is the Loughborough UCCE team, which have first class status, and one of the top university teams. They have given me offer to study there for economics, and given me an invitation for trials for the cricket teams.
Wow Nafi you must be really good to play for Loughborough. Don't they have the best cricket facilities in UK? Also isn't that where the England Academy train or something like that?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old January 15, 2010, 04:56 PM
nahaz's Avatar
nahaz nahaz is offline
Test Cricketer
 
Join Date: June 27, 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Favorite Player: An honest player; a trier
Posts: 1,881

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
You only get on cricinfo, if you played list A/FC/ T20 qualified domestic games.

Even County 2nd XI teams dont play matches qualified as first class matches, they have the to be the first team of any institution.

The institution I want to play for is the Loughborough UCCE team, which have first class status, and one of the top university teams. They have given me offer to study there for economics, and given me an invitation for trials for the cricket teams.
Congrats on getting the offer! Even if you only play for Scarborough, maybe u can roughen up a few future English stars. They'd remember your bouncers when they go play for England.

Btw, if u bowl at 90 mph, that's more than adequate for international cricket. How good is your line and length? I think more than the pace, the line and length of the better overseas players should bec muh better. Otherwise we already have ppl bowling at 83 mph.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old January 15, 2010, 07:16 PM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 6,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Wow Nafi you must be really good to play for Loughborough. Don't they have the best cricket facilities in UK? Also isn't that where the England Academy train or something like that?
Yes it is actually the National Cricket Centre, though the MCC at Lords also have astounding cricket facilities, I would put the two at par.

where the England nationals such as KP also do net practice and the likes.

Quote:
Btw, if u bowl at 90 mph, that's more than adequate for international cricket. How good is your line and length?
Well I certainly don't bowl at 90 mph. I played a for minor junior county side, when I was 16-17, and I was recorded to hit 80mph with the speed gun, I admit it impressive for my age at the time, but what if it was a fluke or the camera was broken.

I would say I have good line and length, when Im in good rhythm, most people when bat against me liken my action to malinga, because I have a slingy action, but other than the slingy action, everything else is different. I would say that I liken my action to waqar younis with front load arm of Dale Steyn.

I hope that I remain healthy, and someday make my First Class Debut, which is my goal.
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''

Last edited by Nafi; January 15, 2010 at 07:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old January 15, 2010, 08:59 PM
chol_bd123 chol_bd123 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: July 30, 2009
Location: ALbany, NY
Favorite Player: TAmim + Ash
Posts: 1,638

Quote:
Well I certainly don't bowl at 90 mph. I played a for minor junior county side, when I was 16-17, and I was recorded to hit 80mph with the speed gun, I admit it impressive for my age at the time, but what if it was a fluke or the camera was broken.

I would say I have good line and length, when Im in good rhythm, most people when bat against me liken my action to malinga, because I have a slingy action, but other than the slingy action, everything else is different. I would say that I liken my action to waqar younis with front load arm of Dale Steyn.

I hope that I remain healthy, and someday make my First Class Debut, which is my goal.
__________________
Dude. That is so freakin awesome. That's why I hate living in the US. THere are no opportunities to play cricket beyond club cricket. I am pretty sure if I lived in England or BD, I would become a really good batsmen. I have been starting to play at a club here in Albany, NY. THere's mostly guys WI and Pakis in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. And I am a pretty good batsmen compared to them. If I just had the opportunity to hone my skills. I
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old January 16, 2010, 10:56 AM
Tiger Manc's Avatar
Tiger Manc Tiger Manc is offline
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
Posts: 4,951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
Yes it is actually the National Cricket Centre, though the MCC at Lords also have astounding cricket facilities, I would put the two at par.

where the England nationals such as KP also do net practice and the likes.



Well I certainly don't bowl at 90 mph. I played a for minor junior county side, when I was 16-17, and I was recorded to hit 80mph with the speed gun, I admit it impressive for my age at the time, but what if it was a fluke or the camera was broken.

I would say I have good line and length, when Im in good rhythm, most people when bat against me liken my action to malinga, because I have a slingy action, but other than the slingy action, everything else is different. I would say that I liken my action to waqar younis with front load arm of Dale Steyn.

I hope that I remain healthy, and someday make my First Class Debut, which is my goal.
Are there any other Bengalis that play county cricket? Do Bengalis play cricket that much in London?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old January 16, 2010, 11:22 AM
Nafi's Avatar
Nafi Nafi is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: March 23, 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad
Posts: 6,060

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Manc
Are there any other Bengalis that play county cricket? Do Bengalis play cricket that much in London?
1/ There are definitely a few playing in 2nd teams and minor county level, Ive know a couple, but there aren't any playing for 1st division county XI, except one guy perhaps (not sure)

2/ No, there is too much wannabe gangsta culture in that society, for there to be any players of any quality. There aren't even many places to play and train to begin with in Inner London. You will find most cricket players come from suburban areas, where playing cricket is much easier.
__________________
BD_Shardul: ''I myself will not go through the troubles of dating. I will offer a prayer that will let me know if my would be bride is compatible with me through a dream''
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old January 18, 2010, 01:36 PM
Tiger Manc's Avatar
Tiger Manc Tiger Manc is offline
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017
 
Join Date: November 2, 2009
Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo
Posts: 4,951

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafi
1/ There are definitely a few playing in 2nd teams and minor county level, Ive know a couple, but there aren't any playing for 1st division county XI, except one guy perhaps (not sure)

2/ No, there is too much wannabe gangsta culture in that society, for there to be any players of any quality. There aren't even many places to play and train to begin with in Inner London. You will find most cricket players come from suburban areas, where playing cricket is much easier.
Thanks for that. Yeah I know most Bengalis aren't into cricket, they're more into football. I know one Bengali who is playing for Dagenham & Redbridge, he is/was the captain of their team. I think they play in league 2. Hopefully as our national team becomes successful, maybe more people will start playing cricket as well.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket