facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old January 29, 2010, 11:40 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Slysaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by asddsa
hay re bangali.....i just cant imagine how some educated people still supporting those killers of Bangabondhu ! more importantly, those are self-claimed killers who even did interview with foreign tv channels proudly (!) telling tht they had killer SK. Mujibur Rahman along with Pregnant woman, kids. and you are showing mercy on them....GOD BLESS YOU ! Even in Islam, it says, no one will go UNPUNISHED ! so in which point of view, you are making such foolish comments defending them ????

Second issue is, I do not know why some people are mixing it with AL and BNP ??? Bangobondhu is not a property of AL. He is not only our father of the nation but more importantly he is an Institution for whom we got independence by all means. The proper justice of his killers are our national duty ! we, bangladeshi, should all be thankful to ALLAH now that we have done it which should have done 34 years before !

you are calling it as CApital Punishment ?! okay, Lets hang all the war criminals, lets hang all the killers of national 4 leaders, lets hang all the killers of Buddhijibi in 1971 and even hang all those who still doing conspiracy against Bangladesh in rapid tribunal then you will know what is called CAPITAL PUNISHMENT ! bhalo kaj korle bangali der shojjo hoy na to....ki r bolbo !

well said

Old January 29, 2010, 12:53 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Niccolo Machiavelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Correction: there is no impunity if you kill an important political figure, as his family members may punish you when they come in power.

I am glad that these killers got their dues, however, lets not pretend that this proves that there is "justice for all", or that it will deter criminals any more. We also need punishment for the Pilkhana killers to give your statements a bit more credence
The due process to punish the Pilkhana massacre will start soon as well as of the 1971 war criminals. We will also see the 2004 August 21 grenade attack and 10 trucks arms cache case go on trial . All these criminals will be dealt with the iron fist of law. Important to note that the very same quarter who opposed our independence, was involved in all these crimes.
Old January 29, 2010, 02:52 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Slysaint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banglatiger84
Lets not kid ourselves. Was it just these executions that was stopping us from becoming a great country?

Some AL members may pretend so, as if Hasina would have gotten rid of all of Bangladesh's ills if only these men were hanged before.
no country can rid itself of all ills. no govt can. what one must understand law is a matter of not just logic and force but its effectiveness lies in perception. before this verdict the perception has been anyone can commit murder and get away with it if you have the right connection. this verdict didnt come from special tribunal nor did it come from special law but it came from law of the land that is applicable to everyone in the country. Only and Only for that reason this is a new promise. now law of the land is on the process of being established as supreme. everyone has the expectation and indeed can demand justice. thats now the perception. a good position to be in. it would be wrong to state that law of the land has been restored. long way to go and we as citizens should help it grow not impede it.
Old January 29, 2010, 05:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The venerated one on BC.

Quote:
hay re bangali.....i just cant imagine how some educated people still supporting those killers of Bangabondhu ! more importantly, those are self-claimed killers who even did interview with foreign tv channels proudly (!) telling tht they had killer SK. Mujibur Rahman along with Pregnant woman, kids. and you are showing mercy on them....GOD BLESS YOU ! Even in Islam, it says, no one will go UNPUNISHED ! so in which point of view, you are making such foolish comments defending them ????

Second issue is, I do not know why some people are mixing it with AL and BNP ??? Bangobondhu is not a property of AL. He is not only our father of the nation but more importantly he is an Institution for whom we got independence by all means. The proper justice of his killers are our national duty ! we, bangladeshi, should all be thankful to ALLAH now that we have done it which should have done 34 years before !

you are calling it as CApital Punishment ?! okay, Lets hang all the war criminals, lets hang all the killers of national 4 leaders, lets hang all the killers of Buddhijibi in 1971 and even hang all those who still doing conspiracy against Bangladesh in rapid tribunal then you will know what is called CAPITAL PUNISHMENT ! bhalo kaj korle bangali der shojjo hoy na to....ki r bolbo !
I don't know who here has defended or SUPPORTED the killers of Mujib. Enlighten me?
Old January 29, 2010, 08:55 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

asddsa, I would like to clarify a few points.

Quote:
hay re bangali.....i just cant imagine how some educated people still supporting those killers of Bangabondhu
No one here is supporting the killers. If anything people are sceptic about death penalty which is nothing new. When Saddam got hanged nearly half the world protested even though the guy killed far more people by far more lethal means than these bunch.

So I cant imagine that you dont expect this will raise a few eyebrows.

Those who are against death penalty are against it no matter how heinous the crime is.

Quote:
so in which point of view, you are making such foolish comments defending them ????
Again no one is defending.

Quote:
Second issue is, I do not know why some people are mixing it with AL and BNP ???
This has everything to do with BAL/BNP politics. It was BNP who put a hold to it else they would have been executed long ago. These guys were sentenced in 1998 and in 2010 they got hanged.

So please explain what took so long if it wasnt for the big span of BNP rule in between starting 2001.

Quote:
Bangobondhu is not a property of AL. He is not only our father of the nation but more importantly he is an Institution for whom we got independence by all means.
Excuse me, we got our independence from the freedom fighters through their sacrifice. Mujib played an important role so did many other people including Zia and India's intervention towards the end. Its was collective effort with same purpose- freedom for Bangladesh for mukti bahini, and break up Pakistan for India.

I dont want to get into the argument of who gave BD independence, but end of the day every time someone says Mujib/BAL or Zia/BNP gave BD independence, they are nothing but a moron. Period.

Quote:
The proper justice of his killers are our national duty ! we, bangladeshi, should all be thankful to ALLAH now that we have done it which should have done 34 years before !
Better late than never.

Quote:
you are calling it as CApital Punishment ?
Hanging is a capital punishment if you havent realised it by now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanging

Quote:
! okay, Lets hang all the war criminals, lets hang all the killers of national 4 leaders, lets hang all the killers of Buddhijibi in 1971 and even hang all those who still doing conspiracy against Bangladesh in rapid tribunal then you will know what is called CAPITAL PUNISHMENT ! bhalo kaj korle bangali der shojjo hoy na to....ki r bolbo !
Oh I get it now. So if you hang Rajakars and conspirators its capital punishment but not if you hang killers of Mujib?

I dont get the logic behind it but I'll add that to the wikipedia defintion of capital punishment lets see how long it lasts there.
Old January 29, 2010, 10:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roni_uk
Finally. Justice indeed.

I must say I do not know a lot about this? Anyone has a good link for me to see who killed who and the fate of all these people. Five as we all know just got hanged, how about the rest? Who killed the poor little boy?
Anybody? No?
Old January 30, 2010, 03:40 AM
Forever Bangy

Quote:
Anybody? No?
This is the closest I could find, but not exactly comprehensive.

Old January 30, 2010, 08:16 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mona
This is the closest I could find, but not exactly comprehensive.

thanks Mona bhai... I saw it on TV but you are right doesn't tell me much.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sakib Al Hasan

Quote:
thanks Mona bhai...
Old January 31, 2010, 08:46 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Quote:
Anybody? No?
you may check out this thread - unfortunately it got locked few months back!!

" Appeal Rejected (12 to die for killing Bangabandhu, family)" - link

if you go through this thread you would find few news links, video link of those killer's interview etc. That might help!

ps- mona apu hobe!!
Old January 31, 2010, 11:49 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrequiem
I don't know who here has defended or SUPPORTED the killers of Mujib. Enlighten me?
Not DEFENDED or SUPPORTED, Electrequiem; but we did have a fairly mature and non-contentious discussion (with many of the participants being individuals who lived through that era) about the coup and why it might have been looked upon favourably in this thread before it became sidetracked into a discussion on Iran.

I will also suggest that there's the slightest whiff of double jeopardy about hanging the killers, given that the Indemnity Ordinance of 1975 passed by Khondaker Mostaq Ahmad, later ratified into the Indemnity Act by a BNP-majority Parliament in 1979, and inserted into our Constitution by the 5th Amendment in 1986, effectively gave them legal immunity, only to have that taken away by an AL-majority Parliament scrapping the Indemnity Act in 1996. It would have been much better if they had been tried immediately after the assassination; now, the issue will always be muddied by people claiming partisan politics.
Old January 31, 2010, 12:03 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Rafiq and Tendulkar

Thank you, thank you BD, at last you showed the world that justice still exists in BD.
We never condone the killers.

But at the same time, I wonder what might or could have happened in BD had Mujib not been assassinated.
Old January 31, 2010, 06:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Sorry to digress or distract.

I can understand killing Bangabandhu, but why exterminate his family/relatives/associates? Why was the coup not restricted or limited to taking out the President?

In that context, i fail to understand the stand taken by Zia post coup. What was his position on those who executed the coup? What rationale did he offer for not punishing the perpetrators? I hear that Zia is an honored leader in BD history with similar adulation as Bangabandhu.

I can understand AL's stand since those who planned the coup had gone out to wipe out the entire gene-pool of the family that heads AL today, but what was BNP's stand on those killings? How did it rationalise not punishing the perpetrators?

Also, i find Rashid missing from the list. Where is he?
Old January 31, 2010, 06:52 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturnal
you may check out this thread - unfortunately it got locked few months back!!

" Appeal Rejected (12 to die for killing Bangabandhu, family)" - link

if you go through this thread you would find few news links, video link of those killer's interview etc. That might help!

ps- mona apu hobe!!
Thanks and sorry about the "Mona Bhai" incident. I used to know a guy called Mona, I used to call him Mona Bhai. In any case, I did try to look at the gendar before replying to her mail. Thanks Mona apa!
Old January 31, 2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Sahastra
Sorry to digress or distract.

I can understand killing Bangabandhu, but why exterminate his family/relatives/associates? Why was the coup not restricted or limited to taking out the President?

In that context, i fail to understand the stand taken by Zia post coup. What was his position on those who executed the coup? What rationale did he offer for not punishing the perpetrators? I hear that Zia is an honored leader in BD history with similar adulation as Bangabandhu.

I can understand AL's stand since those who planned the coup had gone out to wipe out the entire gene-pool of the family that heads AL today, but what was BNP's stand on those killings? How did it rationalise not punishing the perpetrators?

Also, i find Rashid missing from the list. Where is he?
I think there was some foreign pressure not to prosecute them at that time. The inability not to prosecute was exacerbated by the fact that Bangladesh heavily depended on foreign donations to help rebuilding the country and also Zia possibly had complied to keep his power (speculation). This was also evident when Hasina came into power in 90’s and again her inability to prosecute them.
I think they have managed to prosecute them now because there may have been some sort of deal with foreign government in exchange of cooperation to fight “religious terrorists”.
Old January 31, 2010, 07:13 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Mash,Shakib,Tamim

This incident has highlighted one thing: People can't change their fate. I mean could they have imagined that they would walk to the gallows after 35 years? No one knows about pre-destination except Allah, the knower of unseen, no one can change it either, except for Him.

As per the newspaper report, one of the killers, who was executed at the end, had to be taken to the gallows by "আড়কোলা". Three of the five killers recited prayer with the hujur before execution, one said it himself, and the other refused to do tawbah and insisted to hujur that Allah would forgive him anyway. It seemed appalling to me.

While the killers have received the justice, I didn't like throwing shoes towards ambulances carrying their dead bodies, protesting by AL committees and supporters of respective killer's home district to not allow them to bury and distributing sweets. The killers had received their due, and once gone to the other world, people should be respectful to the corpse and fear Allah, for the dead is now in a place where Allah, the best and supreme of all judges, recompense for the acts in this world.

Apart from justice, this hanging was also a political victory of AL over BNP, for it was BNP who passed the indemnity act. That is probably the reason BNP didn't make any statement after execution. It shows another thing: This worldly power is very fickle. It is Allah who gives power to people and than takes it. People however forget that once they get the power and act as if they have been and will be in power forever. They abuse the power and act boastfully. Allah brought them to ground to make it a lesson for others. Hitlar, Pharaoh, Musolini........so many powerful leaders....all crushed. Yet humans have not learned.

Last edited by BD-Shardul; January 31, 2010 at 07:23 PM..
Old February 1, 2010, 05:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

^^ Agreed Shardul Vai. It is good to applaud justice, and feel vindicated. But nevertheless, celebrating death, any death, shows a fundamental lack of understanding of justice.
Old February 1, 2010, 03:41 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Niccolo Machiavelli

Now, it is time to execute the remaining absconding convicts . We would highly appreciate and encourage any assistance from our patriotic Bangladeshi community in updating the " real time whereabouts" of those killers. Please contact your nearest Bangladesh mission if you have any information that can help updating the real time locations of those killers. There is no better intel than HUMINT.
Old February 4, 2010, 06:34 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Not DEFENDED or SUPPORTED, Electrequiem; but we did have a fairly mature and non-contentious discussion (with many of the participants being individuals who lived through that era) about the coup and why it might have been looked upon favourably in this thread before it became sidetracked into a discussion on Iran.

I will also suggest that there's the slightest whiff of double jeopardy about hanging the killers, given that the Indemnity Ordinance of 1975 passed by Khondaker Mostaq Ahmad, later ratified into the Indemnity Act by a BNP-majority Parliament in 1979, and inserted into our Constitution by the 5th Amendment in 1986, effectively gave them legal immunity, only to have that taken away by an AL-majority Parliament scrapping the Indemnity Act in 1996. It would have been much better if they had been tried immediately after the assassination; now, the issue will always be muddied by people claiming partisan politics.
I'm sorry, but this is load of cow dung.

First of all Double jeopardy is a case where some cannot be tried for the same crime twice. It doesn't apply in this case. The coup perpetrators where never tried before '96

what you are implying is that the the murderers can indemnify themselves by changing the constitution. Its like Nazis declaring they should be pardoned for starting WWII and the holocaust beocs they have passed a constitutional amendment.

You also conveniently ignore the BNP's conflict of interest here, given their cozy relation with the coup perpetrators and supporters.

I'm sure it also sheer coincidence many of the coup leaders have made sure never to return to bangladesh as they left the country 6 months after the coup and many of them snuck into the USA as soon as Sheikh Hasina came to power?

How close are you to this coup matter? Becos, your post has all the makings of "Astroturfing"
Old February 6, 2010, 01:31 PM
Cricket Legend

Always nice to see the first post by a newbie (or is it an alias?) be an attempt at a flame. On the faint hope that you aren't simply a party flack (your first post being this, not something on cricket or any other thread, does tend to raise one's suspicions), could I bother you to exhibit a touch more reading comprehension? I'll try to highlight relevant words and phrases to help you out.

You said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketrul
First of all Double jeopardy is a case where some cannot be tried for the same crime twice. It doesn't apply in this case. The coup perpetrators where never tried before '96

what you are implying is that the the murderers can indemnify themselves by changing the constitution. Its like Nazis declaring they should be pardoned for starting WWII and the holocaust beocs they have passed a constitutional amendment.
I wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaad
Let's leave aside your attempt to Godwin-ize this thread by a reductio ad Hitlerum fallacy. The reason I mentioned the "slightest whiff of double jeopardy" and elaborated on it in the last sentence of that paragraph, is because the passing of the Indemnity Ordinance and the subsequent trial and hanging can and will be interpreted by some non-lawyers and laypeople (sometimes, but not always, of a particular political bent) as the killers being first effectively pardoned and later being judged guilty. In their minds, that is double jeopardy, and why I believe the killers should have been tried immediately after assassination.

Quote:
You also conveniently ignore the BNP's conflict of interest here, given their cozy relation with the coup perpetrators and supporters.
Look at my paragraph again. I've bolded and underlined a few words to help you out. Do you see me mentioning the Indemnity Act being ratified by a BNP-majority Parliament (though, mind you, in its first form, the Indemnity Ordinance, it was passed by Khondaker Mostaq, who was an Awami Leaguer, a member of Mujib's cabinet, and a member of the BAKSAL executive committee)? That it was scrapped later by an AL-majority Parliament? Did you stop to think that there was a reason why I mentioned the makeup of the relevant parliaments? I think anyone above the age of six could have made out the conflict of interest here, but after your post I might revise that estimate. It might surprise you to realize that I think highly enough of the intelligence of BC members, even those I disagree with, not to have to write down to them in the form of a basic English primer, as in "See my dog Spot. See Spot run."

Quote:
I'm sure it also sheer coincidence many of the coup leaders have made sure never to return to bangladesh as they left the country 6 months after the coup and many of them snuck into the USA as soon as Sheikh Hasina came to power?
You are aware that the coup by these killers was followed by Khaled Mosharraf's coup, which in turn was overturned by Abu Taher's coup which brought Zia to power, aren't you? Zia's attempt at consolidating power involved exiling the killers abroad by force (albeit often in cushy ambassadorships) where they would not have undue influence over local Bangladeshi politics (Zia did have to contend later with an abortive coup attempt by Farooq for example, and he [Zia] had Abu Taher tried via court-martial and executed when the latter threatened him with more unrest and did not accept the offer of an ambassadorship abroad). This is not to say that the killers did not fear retribution when Hasina finally came in to power, but to suggest that they left entirely of their own will initially (particularly given that they were effectively in power before Khaled Mosharraf's coup) is a gross and simplistic misstatement of facts.

Quote:
How close are you to this coup matter? Becos, your post has all the makings of "Astroturfing"
And, finally, you stoop to a false ad hominem argument, trying to smear me as someone close to the killers. Unlike you, I don't hide behind a handle, and my profile identifies me quite well. I am a Bangladeshi citizen, somewhat older than his country, and like most of that age, with relatives and close acquaintances who fought, were imprisoned, tortured, and killed by the Pakistani army. The closest I am to "this coup matter" is simply being old enough to remember Mujib's glorious and instrumental role in our gaining independence as well as the mismanagement that led to the Famine of 1974, Mujib's banning and outlawing of all opposition political parties, declaration of himself as president for life, installation of one-party BAKSAL rule, requirement of all civilian government personnel to join BAKSAL, and the coup and counter-coups that followed. Unlike some, I don't have any particular blind allegiance to any specific political party (having voted for AL as the lesser of the two evils in our most recent election, for instance) or political figure, but I am old enough, and cynical enough, to view politics, and the acts of individuals involved therein as different shades of grey, motivated far too often by self-interest, instead of simple black-and-white. For instance, I am not naive enough to imagine that the coup masterminded by the killers was done solely to achieve altruistic or patriotic goals -- clearly, they wanted to be in power, and until Khaled Mosharraf's counter-coup, they effectively were; but, as we discussed in the thread I mentioned earlier, in the absence of democracy, what would have been your suggestion for replacing a government that had become tyrannical?
Old February 6, 2010, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

My take on the military coup aligns with that of Shaad bhai's: http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...oup#post972895

Note how I believe the coup was necessary but not the assassinations, so hold your horses before you accuse me of opposing the issuance of the death sentence to the killers.