facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 21, 2010, 01:20 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib
Default Is Bangladesh the fastest growing Cricket Nation in the world?

I believe Bangladesh is the fastest growing cricket nation in the world. I am curious to learn how many people disagree with it and what their reasons are. This thread is not about calling each other ignorant (stupid) rather just a mapping on where your gut stands and why do you take a certain stand. More often I have seen lately in bangla cricket that people get on each others case just on the basis of differences in opinions. Please note two important points, 1) "Fastest" growing has something to do with rate of growth and 2) By "growth" I am specifically interested in success and not just fan following and popularity of the sport.

Old February 21, 2010, 01:26 PM
BD-SL Test Fantasy Winner 2017

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Well if your interested in success then the answer would be no as we haven't won this year.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:37 PM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Shouldn't we be, if we are that is??
After all, we got our test status primarily based on the popularity of the game in the country.
As the newest entrant of the big league, we need to be the fastest growing.
But the growth would have been astronomical if the boys could put a better performance on the field.
Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old February 21, 2010, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Afghanistan is. They are growing at lightning speed. From division 5 to number 6 in the ICC trophy and now making a mockery out of Ireland in FC cricket.
Old February 21, 2010, 01:56 PM
Cricket Guru

I don't intend to pick another fight here, and my advance apology to anyone who finds my arguments too bitter to swallow - if you judge by team results, Bangladesh team have not made any improvement since 2007 (I know most of you rather judge the team's progress by individual performances, but not me).

Going by results, Afghanistan is currently the fastest growing country. Infrastructure of the country is still too poor for ICC to consider the country an associate member, thus they are still an affiliate member. But that has not stopped Afghanistan from coming all the down from level 5 to level 1 among non-Test playing countries in last two years. If ICC have not decreased the number of countries participating in WC'11, Afghanistan would be there too. Don't know if they will be able to sustain their current growth with their poor infrastructure, but if they do, they should be top non-Test playing country in a year or two in all formats of the game (they are already the champion in T20). Counting from 2003/04 - since they become member of ACC/ICC, that will mean they won the associate world in 7/8 years, less than half of the time it took Bangladesh team to do so.

Last edited by Eshen; February 21, 2010 at 02:01 PM..
Old February 21, 2010, 02:08 PM
Club Cricketer

BD was from 1996-2001... we stopped...
Ireland was 2006-2009... they stopped...
Afganistan from 2010 - NOW!
Old February 21, 2010, 02:13 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

No apologies needed Eshen. You clearly think Siddons is a bad coach. I think otherwise. I think he has done monumental work since his hiring. I like reading your opinions, even when I disagree with the small matter of Siddons, but you do not need to apologize for your opinion.
Old February 21, 2010, 02:19 PM
Cricket Legend

I think the team has improve prodigiously. , but still we lost due to player like aftab ash if we can find 2 class batsman we will be a very competitive team

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old February 21, 2010, 02:20 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Ryder,Tamim,shakib,warner

We need win
competition doesn't count
no body rememers how competitive we r
we need paper result
how long we will ignore our best form players for the sake of future prospect

when we will stop talking abt building future?

We need immediate result
we have been playing long enough
Old February 21, 2010, 02:46 PM
ODI Cricketer

Asif and Eshen - you guys do have a point about Afghanistan but Bangladesh interestingly had an equal or better run right around the time they won the ICC championship. Let's not take the result of the immediate past or recent past. Reading your comments I am assuming you are at the disagreement end.
Old February 21, 2010, 02:55 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quasimodo - good insight. However, comparing that with other test nations would probably give a better picture for Bangladesh.
Old February 21, 2010, 03:03 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: $hakib Al Ha$an

what i think is happening is Bangladesh is becoming better as a team, rather than the individual it used to be, except for the 3rd and 4th spot (ashraful!),,, we saw up to the bowlers were doing some good batting as well, we saw the team not giving up wen they had to face huge totals in tests,,,
Old February 21, 2010, 03:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZunaidH
Asif and Eshen - you guys do have a point about Afghanistan but Bangladesh interestingly had an equal or better run right around the time they won the ICC championship. Let's not take the result of the immediate past or recent past. Reading your comments I am assuming you are at the disagreement end.
Not sure what you meant to say there.

If you look at our progress from 1979, since we became an ICC member, Bangladesh's team's progress is long winded with plenty of ups and downs. In 1995-2001, we had a surge in our cricket, but still lost more matches to Kenya than we won. Then again we had another surge under Whatmore in 2003-07 (then again we stopped).

Comparing to us, Afghanistan's development is much more rapid with a clear direction.
Old February 21, 2010, 05:05 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nannu, Ash, Mash

Considering the birth rate of BD and number population we have, you can surely say that we are the fastest growing cricketing nation on earth. LOL
Old February 21, 2010, 05:23 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kana-Baba
Considering the birth rate of BD and number population we have, you can surely say that we are the fastest growing cricketing nation on earth. LOL
Lol. You trip me out with you LSDesque hallucinogenic avy man...

Haven't followed Afghanistan, but Bangladesh has more cumulative experiences being grilled and baptized by the fire. Imo Bangladesh should arrange more matches with these so called minnows Canada, Afghanistan, Ireland and see if they can score world records against them. Then they might end up on a positive high note and will better for the mental confidence.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:41 PM
Banned

well, bangladesh is growing preety quickly, it took india i think over 20 years to win their 1st test, it took nz i think over 50 to win their 1st one.

but watch out for afghanistan, i feel they are a really talented side
Old February 21, 2010, 06:57 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

in terms of results afghanistan is on an incredible rise, if they keep improving at the rate they have been they will be on the level of the full ICC member teams in not too long.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eshen
Not sure what you meant to say there.

If you look at our progress from 1979, since we became an ICC member, Bangladesh's team's progress is long winded with plenty of ups and downs. In 1995-2001, we had a surge in our cricket, but still lost more matches to Kenya than we won. Then again we had another surge under Whatmore in 2003-07 (then again we stopped).

Comparing to us, Afghanistan's development is much more rapid with a clear direction.
That might be because ICC has a better cricket structure now. There were no Division cricket nor were there any inter continental 4 day cricket tournament for BD. Our boys learnt mainly from the opposition in the early 80's. Afghanistan however, benefits from a much more systematic structure. Though there's no denying the Afghan spirit, comparing them to BD is ill judged.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

But we are Bangladesh Tigers!! Or maybe BD King Cobras or Crocodiles!! Yeah?
We are invincible!
Old February 21, 2010, 08:30 PM
Banned

About 30 yeras back, the afghan ambassadors son and I were in the same class in Dhaka. The boy came to love cricket and had vowed on the last day of class before his father was shipped to E Germany - that he would one day spread Cricket from mountain top to mountain top in his country - that he said standing on the mini mountain of gear that he had pursuaded his dad to take with them back home.

I don't know where Walasi is now, but the Afghans are people of determination, grit and strength. But we all knew that.

As long as Cricket spreads in Afganistan faster than Baseball - we know they are heading in the right direction and we are on our course to truly regionalize Cricket in SAARC.

Now why Afganistan's success is our failure, as some writers are inkling to - I don't know.

Bangladesh has been steaming forward in cricket over the past 15 years, regardless of who was the coach, captain or best player.

The only problem is, our focus has now shifted towards proving palpable gains vs...ok, they know how to play cricket,as was the case 10 years back.
Old February 21, 2010, 08:35 PM
Banned

On a slightly different topic, for the sake of comparison, India's economy is so under leveraged. That's why there rate of growth is so high.

Same thing w/ Afganistan.

We are well on our way to the mountain top, where the air is thineer, and the view is scarier. Those who take every opportunity to play down our effort, risk hurting us more, as the higher up you are, the harder you fall.

Shame on those who make constant critisism their own ball game, with no clock to end it.
Old February 21, 2010, 09:09 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

^^NKVD bhai, are you our dear CholCholBD bhai?
Old February 21, 2010, 09:16 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Curtly Ambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodo
BD was from 1996-2001... we stopped...
Ireland was 2006-2009... they stopped...
Afganistan from 2010 - NOW!
kenya and zimbabwe also had their time and they have stopped