facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 20, 2011, 05:41 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387
Default My personal review about Bangladesh team and its players in world cup 2011

Bangladesh, one of the co-hosts of world cup 2011 failed to qualify for the quarter final, after getting thrashed by the powerhouse South Africa. It was a disappointing end to the Bangladeshi campaign after they put up a spirited performance against England.


Now let's look at the team performance of the team as well as individual performance of every player in this world cup:


Team performance:


Bangladesh have played 6 games, won 3 and lost 3. West Indies had similar records yet they made it to the quarter final. With 3 victories, Bangladesh also could have been in the quarter final but that did not happen. So what went wrong?


They lost the 3 games in humiliating manners, that was what went wrong. Had they lost those 3 games with more dignity, they could have edged out West Indies in net run rate. In the end, West Indies and Bangladesh had equal points but West Indies qualified because of the more superior net run rate.


Bangladesh's bowling was outstanding I feel, because of bowling strength they managed to win those 3 games. I have to say batting wise they did very poor, barring the first game against India. Fielding was average, there were fumbles and missed run out opportunities and also some brilliant catches.


Individual Performances:


Tamim Iqbal (my rating: 5/10): He had a very disappointing tournament, considering he is one of the best batsmen for the last 4 years. He scored a fifty in the opening game against India, but he was clearly struggling to score runs. It was not a fluent innings. If you take away that innings, you can see he had a very quiet tournament.


Imrul Kayes (my rating: 8/10): Contrary to his opening partner, Imrul Kayes was clearly the best batsman of Bangladesh in this world cup. He had 2 fifties, both of those fifties resulted in Bangladeshi victories. He was also decent in the first 2 games, where openers put up partnerships of at least 50 runs.


Junaid Siddique (my rating: 3/10)
: I think he was very disappointing, he did not play his role in an efficient manner. He did not get any fifty which was horrible, considering he comes to bat at one down position.


Raqibul Hasan (my rating: 4/10)
: Although replaced by Shahriar Nafees in the last 2 games, he played most of the games in this world cup. Out of all those games he did fine against Ireland. Without his innings, Bangladesh might not have posted enough runs on the board and could have lost against Ireland. He was okay, but was nothing special.


Shahriar Nafees (my rating: 4/10): He played 2 games, was not exceptional at any of them. In one game he scored 37 runs while playing 60 balls, in other game he scored under 10. He needed to contribute more against South Africa, as a #4 batsman.


Mushfiqur Rahim (my rating: 4/10): He was a big let down with the bat, but was decent with the keeping gloves. He deserves a low rating because his batting was simply atrocious. I think he deserves to be dropped from the ODI squad for a while.


Shakib Al Hasan (my rating: 6/10): Shakib did not do very good with the bat, but took wickets with the ball. As the number one all rounder in ODI ratings, I think he was a bit under par.


Naeem Islam (my rating: 5/10)
: I think he did an excellent job with ball, but was equally horrible with the bat. His bowling was really effective in this world cup, he dried up runs and also took wickets. His batting needs more improvement though, considering he has a reputation of a good hitter.


Mahmudullah (my rating: 4/10): He was good with the bat against England and also good with ball against South Africa, but if you remove those two achievements he had a below par tournament. He was very ordinary at times, I feel.


Suhrawadi Shuvo (my rating: 5/10): He played only 1 game, however he did a decent job in that one game he played. He also played as a substitute fielder in certain games, where he made his presences felt.


Abdur Razzak (my rating: 7/10): He was clearly the best spinner for me in this world cup. He was among the wicket takers and he took wickets when it was needed. I think he did enough with the ball, although could have been a bit better as a tail ender batsman.


Shafiul Islam (my rating: 6/10): He was simply way too expensive in most of the games. He did good against minnows (Ireland and Netherlands) and England, but other than that he was horrible. He took a lot of wickets which was good, however he should try to leak less runs.


Rubel Hossain (my rating: 7/10): I think Rubel could have achieved more than what he achieved in this world cup. To me, he bowled way better than Shafiul but got less wickets. I think his performance was decent with the ball, considering he is a Bangladeshi pacer.


Mohammed Ashraful (my rating: 2/10): He was good with the ball against Ireland, but he was selected as a batsman in the team in which he failed miserably. He was one of the most horrible batsmen of Bangladesh, without a question.


Nazmul Hossain (my rating: N/A)
: He did not play.

Last edited by wasi90lkv1; March 20, 2011 at 08:47 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old March 20, 2011, 05:58 PM
Alvi Alvi is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: April 10, 2006
Posts: 249

I agree with most of your ratings except Rubel. I think he is just terrible, his bowling has nothing special that batsman are afraid of. He just tries to bowl fast, but just bowling fast isn't enough. His ball barely swings and most of the wickets he took were by-chance wickets where the batsmen made stupid mistakes. Shafiul has more potential than Rubel, but he needs to vary his bowling more often so its not so predictable.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old March 20, 2011, 06:09 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvi
I agree with most of your ratings except Rubel. I think he is just terrible, his bowling has nothing special that batsman are afraid of. He just tries to bowl fast, but just bowling fast isn't enough. His ball barely swings and most of the wickets he took were by-chance wickets where the batsmen made stupid mistakes. Shafiul has more potential than Rubel, but he needs to vary his bowling more often so its not so predictable.
compare rubel's economy rate with shafiul's, you may understand what i was trying to say. shafiul's career economy is ridiculously high, he needs to work on that.

keep in mind, rubel was playing on bangladeshi pitches where pacers hardly get rewards. i think he was decent in all games, barring the last game (still he got 3 wickets).
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old March 20, 2011, 06:20 PM
dolcevita dolcevita is offline
Cricket Legend
 
Join Date: November 3, 2009
Favorite Player: Shakib
Posts: 3,122

I still don't understand why people thinks Ashfool is talented ?
Back in 2005 when he scores 100 vs australia , 94 against eng his batting average was just 21...

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old March 20, 2011, 06:22 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolcevita
I still don't understand why people thinks Ashfool is talented ?
Back in 2005 when he scores 100 vs australia , 94 against eng his batting average was just 21...

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
he is talented no doubt, but he is not using the talent. he needs to see a psychiatric i think.

by the way, in this thread no one called him talented.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old March 20, 2011, 06:42 PM
Avik's Avatar
Avik Avik is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 15, 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ, USA
Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim
Posts: 743

I agree with all of ur ratings, except for 2.

Mahmudullah shud get a 5. he got drafted in for his bowling and batting. his bowling was decent against India. though he gave away runs at his later overs, he did choke them a bit. his bowling shud be more worked on, then it can be used more often in tests.

Shafiul shud get more. he was devastating against Holland, unluckily didnt get a wicket. this kid is strong, and can come back at any point of the game.

i agree with ur assessment of Rubel. how far he has come! he has been bowling consistently unnoticed for a long time now. hopefully, he picks up a very good haul soon and gets some credit.

I was in the bandwagon that all Rubel does is bowl fast. but I saw him in the NZ test series. (when they came a couple years back to play 2 tests and 3 ODIs, we won the first ODI) it was then I understood he bowls to a plan. he consistently bowled the same line, making it hard for the batsmen to score runs. the thing is, he still is not up to the mark for some reason, something is missing. that is exactly why he is not getting enough wickets at the top level. but he is genuinely fast, and if he continues to bowl like this, we can have a world class fast (not medium fast!) bowler!
__________________
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old March 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by avik-e-mam
I agree with all of ur ratings, except for 2.

Mahmudullah shud get a 5. he got drafted in for his bowling and batting. his bowling was decent against India. though he gave away runs at his later overs, he did choke them a bit. his bowling shud be more worked on, then it can be used more often in tests.

Shafiul shud get more. he was devastating against Holland, unluckily didnt get a wicket. this kid is strong, and can come back at any point of the game.

i agree with ur assessment of Rubel. how far he has come! he has been bowling consistently unnoticed for a long time now. hopefully, he picks up a very good haul soon and gets some credit.

I was in the bandwagon that all Rubel does is bowl fast. but I saw him in the NZ test series. (when they came a couple years back to play 2 tests and 3 ODIs, we won the first ODI) it was then I understood he bowls to a plan. he consistently bowled the same line, making it hard for the batsmen to score runs. the thing is, he still is not up to the mark for some reason, something is missing. that is exactly why he is not getting enough wickets at the top level. but he is genuinely fast, and if he continues to bowl like this, we can have a world class fast (not medium fast!) bowler!
being devastating against netherlands means very little, if you can not be devastating against top teams. shafiul needs to improve more in the opening spell.

i think mahmudullah should bowl a few overs in every ODI game, but not 10 overs. he should bowl between 20th and 35th over, i think.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old March 20, 2011, 07:53 PM
Ananna's Avatar
Ananna Ananna is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 22, 2009
Location: Oregon, USA
Favorite Player: Lara, Tamim
Posts: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasi90lkv1
being devastating against netherlands means very little, if you can not be devastating against top teams. shafiul needs to improve more in the opening spell.

i think mahmudullah should bowl a few overs in every ODI game, but not 10 overs. he should bowl between 20th and 35th over, i think.
Then you should make two sets of ratings. One against good teams and one against bad teams.

I dont agree with your rating of 3 for mushy. Although he didnt do well in batting, his wicketkeeping was good. He deserves more than 3.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old March 20, 2011, 08:17 PM
Avik's Avatar
Avik Avik is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 15, 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ, USA
Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim
Posts: 743

i disagree. it does mean something. netherlands batsmen hammered the english team in nagpur, some of the english bowlers were part of the ashes campaign. the netherlands is a pretty strong batting unit. their batting might even be stronger than ours.

thats why a bangladeshi pacer dominating the netherlands batting is significant.
__________________
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old March 20, 2011, 08:38 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by avik-e-mam
i disagree. it does mean something. netherlands batsmen hammered the english team in nagpur, some of the english bowlers were part of the ashes campaign. the netherlands is a pretty strong batting unit. their batting might even be stronger than ours.

thats why a bangladeshi pacer dominating the netherlands batting is significant.
netherlands played against england on a flat indian track, where both teams scored 290+. keep in mind, england were rusty in this entire tournament, even canada gave them a run for their money in the warm up game.

playing in bangladesh is a lot harder. besides, netherlands never played in bangladesh before if i am not wrong.

their batting is better than ours? really? they lost 6 games out of 6. they are the 2nd worst team in this world cup, even kenya scored 240+ against australia that does not mean they are good.

we can not be satisfied with performances against netherlands, they are an associate nation. bottom line is, shafiul failed miserably with the ball against top oppositions. only thing i am impressed about shafiul is his slogging ability.

Last edited by wasi90lkv1; March 20, 2011 at 08:45 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old March 20, 2011, 08:43 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ananna
Then you should make two sets of ratings. One against good teams and one against bad teams.

I dont agree with your rating of 3 for mushy. Although he didnt do well in batting, his wicketkeeping was good. He deserves more than 3.
if i make 2 sets of ratings, most of the bangladeshi players will get below 5 (out of 10) against top oppositions and over 6 against associates. are you sure you really want to brag about the victories with the associates?

regarding mushfiqur, ok i have given him 4/10.

mushfiqur is one of the experienced players in bangladesh team, his batting performance was below par. i did give credits to mushfiqur for his keeping. without the decent keeping, i would have given him 2/10.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old March 20, 2011, 09:46 PM
Jadukor's Avatar
Jadukor Jadukor is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: October 17, 2010
Location: Bangkok
Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara
Posts: 7,174

I agree with you entirely on this assessment. Rubel gets a good grade because Rubel was very good with the old ball and he stuck to his role. Shafiul gets less points because He hasn't given us breakthroughs with the new ball which is essential against the big teams.

I think we were terribly incosistent because of the Tamim-Shakib factor over the last couple of years. This entire team is dependent on those two guys to perform. NZ series was a Shakib show with the Bat... the alarm bell about our batting should have rung after that series to try new batsman and develop a middle order... but we were too carried away with the whitewash and didn't bring in a single change for the next series. In the end we went with a very ordinary batting lineup made up of batsman who can neither stay at the wicket nor score runs quickly.

For our team of the future i think we have the following positives:
1. We have a settled opening pair with two quality batsman
2. We have a worldclass player in the allrounder slot
3. We have a settled bowling unit which with the inclusion of Mash/Nazmul would be more penetrative with the new ball
__________________
রিয়াদ ফ্যান রা মানুষ হিসেবে উত্তম কারণ তারা অল্পতেই খুশি থাকে - জাদুকর ২০১৪
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old March 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

i think lack of late order power hitting cost bangladesh.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old March 21, 2011, 12:28 PM
mhj007's Avatar
mhj007 mhj007 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 12, 2007
Location: Dhaka
Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan
Posts: 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasi90lkv1
i think lack of late order power hitting cost bangladesh.
if u are 36-5, 40-5, 151-6, 169-8 - u can't say "late order" hitting cost anything..it is the top and middle order collapsing that cost bangaldesh in this world cup sadly..
__________________
cricket is a fight between bat and ball,any inequality between them will make the fight inappropiate.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old March 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
sujon sujon is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 5, 2004
Location: Ontario, Canada
Favorite Player: Sachin, Nannu, Tamim
Posts: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasi90lkv1
i think lack of late order power hitting cost bangladesh.
Lol. Late order power hitting? In which match man? You are 50/6 in 15 overs and want power hitting? Are you in sense? Or are you talking about some other team...hm...say India?
__________________
GO BANGLADESH GO!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old March 21, 2011, 12:48 PM
Murad's Avatar
Murad Murad is offline
Cricket Sage
 
Join Date: July 30, 2006
Favorite Player: MAM & MBM
Posts: 19,751

Tamim deserves no more than 3 for the two golden s.
__________________
~*Islam is the only way to attain peace in life, be it personal, family or political.*~
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old March 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
Rubu's Avatar
Rubu Rubu is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: February 15, 2004
Location: Michigan
Favorite Player: Tamim Iqbal
Posts: 8,198

I would not say bowling was outstanding. Leave the spinners aside, they did OK consistently throughout the tournament. Its the two pacers that was weird. When they did well, they did pretty well, when they sucked, they sucked like a toddler and his thumb.

To start with, in India game, their line and length was the worst I have ever seen in any international game of cricket. In 2 of the 3 games we lost, they contributed significantly with their miserable line and length. Batting track or what (actually specially on a batting track), they need to at least keep their line and length, but they were consistently doing the opposite.

Along with all other shortcomings, we must not forget this as well.
__________________
সন্মানজনক পরাজয়ের চিন্তাটাই অসন্মানজনক
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old March 21, 2011, 01:14 PM
AsifTheManRahman's Avatar
AsifTheManRahman AsifTheManRahman is offline
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team
 
Join Date: February 12, 2004
Location: Canada
Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box
Posts: 27,675

The bowling attack - including the spinners - seems to lack tooth and run out of ideas fast. When the opponent attacks, we seem to be clueless and start relying on the batsmen to make mistakes, which in turn makes us look utterly hopeless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubu
I would not say bowling was outstanding. Leave the spinners aside, they did OK consistently throughout the tournament. Its the two pacers that was weird. When they did well, they did pretty well, when they sucked, they sucked like a toddler and his thumb.

To start with, in India game, their line and length was the worst I have ever seen in any international game of cricket. In 2 of the 3 games we lost, they contributed significantly with their miserable line and length. Batting track or what (actually specially on a batting track), they need to at least keep their line and length, but they were consistently doing the opposite.

Along with all other shortcomings, we must not forget this as well.
__________________
Screw the IPL, I'm going to the MLC!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old March 21, 2011, 01:17 PM
Avik's Avatar
Avik Avik is offline
ODI Cricketer
 
Join Date: September 15, 2008
Location: Piscataway, NJ, USA
Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim
Posts: 743

golod bhai batting e, middle order batting e. we had that late order hitting problem from way back, maybe since world T20. (remember our strategy then? our strategy was scoring 100 runs in 10 overs, with the loss of 2 wickets, caus we knew our later order batsman cant hit).

but that is an accessory problem if u consider the bigger problem being our middle order cannot hold their own against a decent bowling attack. we need some responsibility in the middle order. before trying with the completely new lot, we shud throw in the current players, and try all of them in the middle order. mahmudullah, naeem islam shud be given chance there. they both have decent list A average, and they shud be tried out. maybe jahurul islam can be given a chance against the aussies. he did decent against the english in tough conditions, he might do well against the aussie pace.

i know ashraful is not the best pick to go back to, but i think he shud be given a chance as the later order player.

tamim
imrul
shahriar nafees
mahmudullah/jahurul
shakib
mushfiq/mithun ali/dhiman ghosh
ashraful/mahmudullah
razzak
shafiul
rubel
shuvo/naeem

problem is, bowling will be fine against the aussies, i am quite sure of that. but the batting will probably fail again. we need to try out our best with the current lot, because bringing in new players against the aussies will not be a good idea at all.
__________________
It is good to let Shakib off captaincy, it will relieve some pressure. He will be offered captaincy again in a few years when he will be more than ready, Bangladesh will voyage into a new horizon then
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old March 21, 2011, 04:41 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhj007
if u are 36-5, 40-5, 151-6, 169-8 - u can't say "late order" hitting cost anything..it is the top and middle order collapsing that cost bangaldesh in this world cup sadly..
36-5, 40-5 do not happen always. if you have been following bangladesh for the last 4 years, you will see our top order and higher middle order tend to do a decent job. we lose the plot during the final 10 overs most of the times, where we often fail to score 60 runs (forget about 80-90 runs).

i think players felt the pressure, which is why we got out for 58 and 78. this type of performance does not happen normally.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old March 21, 2011, 04:44 PM
wasi90lkv1 wasi90lkv1 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: February 3, 2010
Posts: 387

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujon
Lol. Late order power hitting? In which match man? You are 50/6 in 15 overs and want power hitting? Are you in sense? Or are you talking about some other team...hm...say India?
personally i think only way our late order batsmen can score runs is by slogging. they can barely rotate the strike. when a batsman can not rotate the strike, it is better to go for hitting.

when i mean late order, i mean naeem islam, shafiul islam, abdur razzak and rubel hossain. there is no point of wasting 20 balls to score 4-5 runs, instead you should go for shots and those four can add 40 runs.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket