facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 16, 2011, 04:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhakablues
Okay. Please check your PM. I sent the contribution via Paypal. I accidently saw the ad the other day and was so surprised.. I wonder whether there has been any new member spike since the ad appeared..

While I am infusing ideas: Can BanglaCricket also have tiered patrons? like the NPR model? For a donation of $25, you get a T-shirt, for a generous gift of $50, you get a 'beautiful' china made mug, for a contribution of $75, you get a DVD of great screen savers, wall papers, for $100, you get autographed pictures of Bangladesh national players,,,,,
Thanks for the donation. But aren't we being greedy? Donation should be devoid of all wants and needs in return.

As far as the increase of new members, I don't know. Zunaid bhai should be able to tell us if that really had any affect.
Old March 16, 2011, 06:04 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Dhakablues bhai we had a t-shirt design contest in BC few years back. Hatebreed bhai won that contest. He came up with a ridiculous design. I'm sure a ton of people from BC would have loved to get a hold of one. Maybe someone can take the iniative and finish off this project.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (iPhone)
Old March 16, 2011, 06:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

Betaar: I don't think of it that way. Even charity organizations do it that way and it is a win-win proposition. It isnt only about making money always but also letting people wear their interests. Selling merchandise is not BC's primary focus anyways. I have seen other Forums doing it too like DeviantArt.com, Mozzilla, 2600 etc. Its a matter of showing someone's interest and promoting a brand as well... my 2 cents.

Bangladesh_sy: I have personally done this for raising funds for cyclone victims where we designed and sold T-shirts. Being Bangladeshis, we thought we will be not be able to sell these 300 Hanes T-shirts. But to our surprise, we were not only sold out, folks wanted to get more,, even when they knew that the $19.99 t-shirt actually cost us $3.95. People just loved the T-shirts and wanted to donate for the cause..
Old March 16, 2011, 10:07 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

http://www.banglacricket.com/alochon...hlight=contest

this is the thread I was talking about. I looked into this previously, I wanted to get one for myself, I thought let see if how it works out for me. And if it does work out maybe we can do this to raise money so we can do something as a community. Dhakablues bhai where did you guys have the shirts printed out? I don't really know much about this stuff, but if someone can look into it or give me some pointers, I'd love to help out in whatever way I can.
Old March 16, 2011, 11:11 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
While I am infusing ideas: Can BanglaCricket also have tiered patrons? like the NPR model? For a donation of $25, you get a T-shirt, for a generous gift of $50, you get a 'beautiful' china made mug, for a contribution of $75, you get a DVD of great screen savers, wall papers, for $100, you get autographed pictures of Bangladesh national players,,,,,
I should hope not.

First, unlike say, NPR, BC does not need donations from members in order to function. At least, I hope not (Zunaid and mods, correct me if I am mistaken).

Second, having tiered patrons runs the risk of creating class distinctions between members, those who are donators, and those who aren't, and even among those who donate based on the size of donations. Right now, no such class distinctions exist; members' comments are judged solely on the basis of their merit, and I for one would not like to see this change. And do keep in mind that not all of our members are wealthy -- some of them are young, and/or students, and/or on scholarships or working to pay their own way through college. Making them feel left out by not being able to pay as much as these hypothetical top-ranked patrons runs counter to the spirit of BC in my opinion.

Third, the donations that were made by some of us here, were proffered after we had discussed the issue and knew what the money was to be used for -- the Prothom Alo ad. Now, I have no doubts whatsoever about the motivations of the moderators and members of BC -- they are indeed good people; but there is a qualitative difference between donating money for a specific goal, and putting it into a nebulous fund whose specific uses we have not yet decided upon. Frankly, I myself am more inclined to have matters handled the way they were this time, with interested members donating money into specific causes that they feel worthwhile.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafee

@Shaad: Its a thought only. Forum privileges doesn't have to be tied to the T-shirt or mug we buy with the BC logo on it..I am sure the money Zunaid gather from the ad that we click on the Xoom.com or Nordstrom is plenty to cover the server charges each month.

@Bangladesh_sy: These days many companies does it. VistaPrint.com is one of them, they charge 4.75 each. You upload a photo and the rest is pretty easy. I did the one at a local Seattle shop. They charged 3.95 for each T-shirt but had to be a minimum of 300 per order.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:37 AM
Administrator

Quote:
@Shaad: Its a thought only. Forum privileges doesn't have to be tied to the T-shirt or mug we buy with the BC logo on it..I am sure the money Zunaid gather from the ad that we click on the Xoom.com or Nordstrom is plenty to cover the server charges each month.
Dhakablues - I do not own BC, I am just a volunteer as the other mods and staff. As such, I gather no money from any advertisement revenues on BC. However, it is true that BC revenues are sufficient to cover current operational costs - hosting. NO revenue accrues to the founders/owners and also to the volunteer admins, mods or staff. Yup, no business lunches or expenses. The time I give to BC is my own.

@Shaad - I generally agree with you. Whenever money has been collected under the aegis of a particular initiative, that money should be used solely for that purpose.

I will reiterate just in case this misconception is widespread. I am NOT a owner of BC. I am just a volunteer out of my deep love for Bangladesh cricket and also because I agree 100% with the current mission and vision of Banglaricket.

I pay my own bills (and often some BC bills) on my own.
Old March 17, 2011, 06:52 AM
Cricket Legend

@Dhakablues - Sorry if I came on sounding too strong. It's not a bad idea per se, and I didn't for a moment think that forum privileges would be tied to patron donations. It's just that our primate streak tends to encourage braggadocio, class consciousness, and hierarchies with even the subtlest of cues, and I'd rather BC not fall victim to it (For what it's worth, and without mentioning names, I've seen it happen in a a smattering of other forums, both virtual and real, and in all cases starting with the best of intentions).
Old March 17, 2011, 01:07 PM
Cricket Legend

Good discussions guys, keep it going.

I would have to agree with Shaad in terms of not having a tiered system and having a set goal for any donation collection initiative. That way people would be more interested in making that goal a reality.

There's also a direct relationship with a goal and the timing of achieving that goal. As we have just learned, we missed out on gettin the PA ad out on the day Bangladesh played Eng and there were a lot of people questioning the necessity in publishing it the day after. We got lucky; Bangladesh won and we all looked like geniuses when the advert showed up on PA along with Bangladesh's match winning reports. Since the timing worked out in our favor, quite a few more people donated without making a pladge earlier in the process. So I think what ever we want to do where donation is a must, timing is of essense.
Old March 18, 2011, 09:53 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
@Shaad - I generally agree with you. Whenever money has been collected under the aegis of a particular initiative, that money should be used solely for that purpose.
I agree, but have a couple of additional comments.
  1. We should try to raise about $500 in emergency funds, to be held on one of the BC admins. When a need arises that needs the money quickly, this fund can be deployed.
  2. If we collect funds for a specific purpose and do not spend the entire amount, the remaining funds can go to this account.
  3. Any money raised from the BC members should be spent on BC initiative that has the general support of the members (if it is not spent entirely on the specific project for which it was raised). A breakdown of the expenditure should be posted on the forum. Accountability and transparency are very important.
Old March 18, 2011, 01:33 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
I agree, but have a couple of additional comments.
  1. We should try to raise about $500 in emergency funds, to be held on one of the BC admins. When a need arises that needs the money quickly, this fund can be deployed.
  2. If we collect funds for a specific purpose and do not spend the entire amount, the remaining funds can go to this account.
  3. Any money raised from the BC members should be spent on BC initiative that has the general support of the members (if it is not spent entirely on the specific project for which it was raised). A breakdown of the expenditure should be posted on the forum. Accountability and transparency are very important.
Shuja bhai,
These are good ideas as we both agreed during our phone conversation. One thing we also talked about was the need for BC to be a non-profit organization. I am not sure if it already is, may be Zunaid bhai can enlighten us.
Old March 21, 2011, 05:47 PM
Banned

Cholo Bangladesh
Old March 25, 2011, 08:36 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

The total raised for the ad campaign was USD 1,156.85. After paying for the PA ad, we still have well over USD 150 left. I propose to keep the money for safekeeping with one of the BC admins. When this money is needed, we should ask for the opinion of the members. If there is support for that specific project, we could go ahead.

Alternatively, we could return the unspent money (pro-rated according to their contributions) to the contributors. Some money will be lost due to transaction fees. I have found that the fees vary widely based on accounts, so predicting transaction loss will be difficult. But, if we go that route, I'll try to make sure that we minimize the loss.
Old March 28, 2011, 03:06 PM
Street Cricketer

I agree with keeping it for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
The total raised for the ad campaign was USD 1,156.85. After paying for the PA ad, we still have well over USD 150 left. I propose to keep the money for safekeeping with one of the BC admins. When this money is needed, we should ask for the opinion of the members. If there is support for that specific project, we could go ahead.

Alternatively, we could return the unspent money (pro-rated according to their contributions) to the contributors. Some money will be lost due to transaction fees. I have found that the fees vary widely based on accounts, so predicting transaction loss will be difficult. But, if we go that route, I'll try to make sure that we minimize the loss.