facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 22, 2011, 04:05 PM
Street Cricketer

Default Basic Cricketing Facilities

Hello! This is Niaz, as you might have guessed from my nick. I am a final year student of Dhaka University, but I am not 32 years old like most other final year students of Dhaka University. (using this opportunity to introduce myself as well as raise this issue :P)

So, we sometimes go to the Fazle Rabbi Hall Field (the hall is for Dhaka Medical College students) to play and on one of those occasions I had the opportunity to have a chat with the Bangladesh opener Javed Omer Belim there. He happens to live very close to that field and he practices there on a regular basis. I haven't written ex-Bangladesh opener because I was surprised to find out from him that he hasn't retired yet. And as a matter of fact he is still trying hard to get into the Test side. Came as a bit of a shock to me, thought he had retired and all.

Anyways, that is besides the point. So as an ardent Bangladesh cricket fan, I was having a chat with him about the overall situation of cricket in Bangladesh. He brought up a number of issues, mostly issues that are already discussed on a regular basis in the media and among fans.

However, he did bring up one very interesting point, and in my modest knowing I haven't seen people discussing this anywhere. Javed Bhai was saying that, we have domestic cricket going on for around 6-8 months every year. So the national league players are 'in practice' for around half the year. But after the domestic season is over, these players go back to their home towns/villages.

During these off-seasons, these players do not get the opportunity to practice and build on what they learned during the season. So when they come back next year, they are very rusty and not really an improved player from the previous season.

So, this is where basic facilities comes into the equation. Most of these players do not get the very basic of facilities that a national league cricketer should have. And by very basic facilities I mean, a mere cemented pitch to do some net sessions.

And that is the case not only when it comes to players based outside Dhaka/Chittagong, even Dhaka/Chittagong based players have trouble practicing during off-seasons.

So Javed bhai was telling me, isn't there a way where we can accumulate some funds and help to build basic facilities all around Bangladesh for these deprived cricketers? You wouldn't even need to get the cricket board involved in such a small scale project. A few generous donations from here and there would be good enough to get this thing rolling.

I would like your valuable comments on this

Old September 22, 2011, 05:01 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Welcome to Banglacricket Niaz bhai
Old September 22, 2011, 05:19 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: The big hearted ones

Welcome to BC.
It’s a good initiative that can be implemented. Not sure if you know, BC members are pretty generous when it comes to the improvement of Bangladesh cricket. The last BC fund raiser, that I can think of, was during the WC where we raised around $1100 in matter of days and for a mere news paper commercial to show our trust in our national team. After our successful initiative during WC, I had a plan to start “adopt a struggling cricketer” program which I never got to start. However, this project of providing cement pitch is much more fruitful and can have direct impact to our budding cricketers.

The question is, who is going to oversee the initiative in Bangladesh. This is not just Dhaka based project; we have to have people all over Bangladesh for the initiative to be effective. There’s a lot of logistics to take care off and to do that we will need a team of trusted BC members who are willing to utilize their personal time.

Old September 22, 2011, 05:28 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Jahanara Alam, Zuccarello

A very warm welcome to BC Niaz bhai!
A very good post by Betaar bhai!
I will be right back!
Old September 22, 2011, 05:30 PM
Street Cricketer

Well for one, I am willing to volunteer. I live in Bangladesh and I can manage some time to look after this project.

Also, once the cement practice nets are built, it should be responsibility of the local cricketers to look after it. If some sort of repair work is needed, they are the ones who should get in touch with whoever will take charge of this project.

So, basically you wont be needing people in different parts of Bangladesh to take care of it. If the cricketers themselves take up some responsibility and stay in touch with the project managers based in Dhaka, this whole thing can run quite smoothly.
Old September 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

^^ Then again, the question of 'taka opochoy', etc comes into it if there isn't a rigorous, constant administration of funds. Are you suggesting that you, or a couple of people like you, will take on this responsibility and will go around the villages and mofussil towns of Bangladesh building nets? Or are you suggesting that the funds raised be entrusted in good faith to the national league cricketers? Ideally, one developer could be given the responsibility to do this, but would they consent to work in so many small towns and villages?
Old September 22, 2011, 08:09 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Performing Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiazUnited
Well for one, I am willing to volunteer. I live in Bangladesh and I can manage some time to look after this project.

Also, once the cement practice nets are built, it should be responsibility of the local cricketers to look after it. If some sort of repair work is needed, they are the ones who should get in touch with whoever will take charge of this project.

So, basically you wont be needing people in different parts of Bangladesh to take care of it. If the cricketers themselves take up some responsibility and stay in touch with the project managers based in Dhaka, this whole thing can run quite smoothly.
Nice initiative...okey, im in iA!
Old September 23, 2011, 02:19 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navo
^^ Then again, the question of 'taka opochoy', etc comes into it if there isn't a rigorous, constant administration of funds. Are you suggesting that you, or a couple of people like you, will take on this responsibility and will go around the villages and mofussil towns of Bangladesh building nets? Or are you suggesting that the funds raised be entrusted in good faith to the national league cricketers? Ideally, one developer could be given the responsibility to do this, but would they consent to work in so many small towns and villages?
If this project is pursued, then of course the funds and the operation will not be in the hands of just one or two people 'like me'. A proper team needs to be set up with assigned roles for each.

Now when it comes to building these nets, someone from the team has to be present at least during the initiation of a building project. The workload ain't as heavy as it sounds. We won't be building nets everyday. If it is properly planned, going outside Dhaka once in a week or fortnight would be more than good enough. And of course the same person or team wont be going every time.

And all this is a very very rough idea, I haven't given much thought to the details. I thought that once I share the idea, a lot of stuff will come up through discussion. And if this idea seems feasible and if you people think that this is actually something worth doing, then we can build on the initial concept and transform it into a proper plan.

But of course, as you realise this whole thing is not as simple as getting hold of funds and then going to Potuwakhali and start building a net. A lot of things need to be taken care of if this project needs to implemented. Even if you take care of a relatively harder part, that is accumulating funds; you have to do some research and find out who actually needs these practice facilities. Once you spot the players, there is a small matter of finding a place to build these nets in his home town/village. You can't just go there and start building a net on someone else's property.
Old September 23, 2011, 12:42 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

welcome to BC niaz!
Old September 24, 2011, 06:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Welcome to BC Niaz bhai
I think that's an excellent idea. I hope it works out. If there are more people like you, then one day there will be no problem to BD Cricket at all.....but the thing is, amra onek kichui boli kintu kajer belai kichui kintu hoina...
Old September 24, 2011, 02:33 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Valuable first post! Welcome to BC.

This is a good idea and if I can do anything within my limited ability, I am willing to lend my hands.
Old September 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinatf
but the thing is, amra onek kichui boli kintu kajer belai kichui kintu hoina...
Haha very true! But hey, I at least cared enough to go up to a cricketer, talk about Bangladesh cricket and extract something of worth out of him. That ain't bad for a start :P

Anyways, I see that a few of you like the idea and a few more feedbacks would be of great help.

So if you folks think that this idea is worth giving a shot, is it possible for us to arrange some sort of a meeting to discuss all this? That would be the next step in the process. But by the looks of it, most of the people posting in this thread are based outside the country. That is one big impediment
Old September 25, 2011, 12:03 AM
Banned

it is very unfortunate that we fans need to take initiatives like this even though a financially capable board exists to do this. I think it would be easier and and more effective if we can do something to peruse the cricket board to take the initiative.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old September 25, 2011, 07:36 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, AB De, Amla

Welcome to BC Niaz bro. Wow, I also thought Javed Omar retired by now..!
"And be true to every promise- for, verily you will be called to account for every promise which you have made." - [Al Qur'an - 17:34]