facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old December 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al Furqaan
I am afraid we don't have any such players. I hope and pray that the new generation will be that way and fulfill its promises, but...
very well thought out and nicely expressed.

Old December 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
One of the reasons our alleged batsmen demonstrate poor footwork is the propensity to play premeditated shots.........
Quote:
I am afraid we don't have any such players. I hope and pray that the new generation will be that way and fulfill its promises, but........

two excellent posts
Old December 13, 2011, 07:30 PM
Club Cricketer

Problem is in the root..if someone scores multiple douple tripple centuries in national league and regularly plays big innings, their head is already stable and footwork is probably effective...these are player who survive under pressure and who has great mental strength..but we bring kids to test cricket to teach them how to play test cricket..so what you expect? like musfiq said..there will be odd centuries here and there but overall cricket will not develop unless ...
Old December 13, 2011, 08:19 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Tam,Sak,Nasa,Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerEz
maybe give those boys some dancing lessons?
he can help http://www.thedailystar.net/photo/20...-14__cul12.jpg
Old December 13, 2011, 09:10 PM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
he can help http://www.thedailystar.net/photo/20...-14__cul12.jpg
Who are they? Nazim and Tamim?
Old December 14, 2011, 10:28 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: tamim,shafiul,mushy

so ian, please tell us, players like tamim and imrul have ben playing international cricket for a while. they are watching batsmen in the opposite team who have good footwork. why do they sem to not fathom the neeed and neccessity to acquire that skill?
Old December 14, 2011, 12:20 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Coach, what speed is the machine set to in that video? It looks like my medium pacers which I'd estimate to be 40-50 mph (I'd guesstimate my top speed is around 65-70 mph).
40-50 mph is not medium pace, bro. Spinners bowl faster!

Seriously, some players have excellent hand-eye coordination, such as Sehwag, but generally feet movement sets apart the great batsmen. A little-known batsman named Sir Donald Bradman was said to have lightening feet. He could get to the pitch of the fastest of deliveries. He "murdered" Harold Larwood, easily one of the best pacers of all time, in 1928-29 and 1930, before being brought back to earth during the 1932-33 bodyline series. (Suddenly mortal Bradman averaged only 56+.)

Forget Bradman. Check out any great batsman of any era, save for the outlier like Sehwag, and you'll find one common theme. Great footwork. I have to say that it is a combination of temperament (or lack thereof), training, and practice. What is the solution?
Old December 14, 2011, 12:22 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel NR
One of the reasons our alleged batsmen demonstrate poor footwork is the propensity to play premeditated shots. Hence all the premeditated sweeps and blocks (including blocking half-volleys and full tosses out there) with predictable results at this level of international cricket. Not everyone's a Sehwag, Gayle (neither premeditate BTW) or Shakib for that matter, and they tend to fail a helluva lot more than they're even likely to "succeed", whatever that means in our pitiful context. Playing a ball according to its merit means nothing when you swing by the numbers.

Comments from our "seniors" meaning former players and even more laughably, "organizers" now playing with our national passion and screwing it in the process, are absurd. They sucked as players and won't be able to hold a bat or grip a ball next to Shakib and now Nasir's generation of players. They're the problem, not the solution.

The solution is obviously a less allegorical version of the ATMR Treatment once they're guilty of premeditation. The national team isn't the place to learn anything. Selectors shouldn't select anyone who has to, and the board must ensure that they do all the way from organized school, through the NCL to Academy cricket. Sadly, both groups of *ankers must understand the game first.
Old December 14, 2011, 02:19 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamisa
so ian, please tell us, players like tamim and imrul have ben playing international cricket for a while. they are watching batsmen in the opposite team who have good footwork. why do they sem to not fathom the neeed and neccessity to acquire that skill?
The problem is that you cannot learn by watching, but only doing. Understanding what to do, then practice doing it, is the way to develop skill.

If you spend your entire net sessions trying to slog the ball into the next field, then I don't see how anyone is going to learn anything worthwhile.
Old December 14, 2011, 02:48 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

^ To had to that, is it too late for them to change their techniques? I always hear people say that "oh it's too late for me." So when is it too late?

And please ans my previous Q. It would be very helpful.
Old December 14, 2011, 02:53 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo

Forget Bradman. Check out any great batsman of any era, save for the outlier like Sehwag, and you'll find one common theme. Great footwork. I have to say that it is a combination of temperament (or lack thereof), training, and practice. What is the solution?
I don't think Sehwag is a great batsman of all time. He's a great in his era, but not of all time. I think he's taken advantage of flat pitches in subcontinent conditions. 50+ average means you're a class batsman, but it doesn't qualify one as a great. Because then Inzy would be a great without doubt (most Indians don't consider him a great and with decent reason), Chanderpaul would be considered a great, Graeme Smith, Mike Hussey, Younis Khan, and Jayawardene/Sangakkara too. They all have 50+ averages and are thus elite batsman. But are they great (ie legendary)? Certainly not. Further Laxman doesn't have even close to a 50+ avg but I rate him higher than all those batsman above. Laxman is a great no matter what his average might say.

Kallis, Laxman, Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid are greats from the recent era and in that order , btw (in my opinion at least). Ponting and perhaps a few others are just under that rung.

#OneTeam1Dream
Old December 15, 2011, 12:40 PM
Ex Bangladesh National Bowling Coach
Dhaka Gladiators Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilscoop
How can one improve their balance while playing these drives and not tip over or having to readjust after playing the drive?
The reason people 'tip over' is either their head is too far outside the line of the ball (off side fall) or their base is not solid enough due to under striding (fall over when they play forward).

Solution is to take a good step towards the ball and ensure the head is right over the front foot, so base and head are together as ONE.

With regard to your other question about being too old to learn, that happens when you are dead. It is a cop out to say you cannot change things. Darren Gough changed his bowling action with me, when he was 34 and played an extra 4 seasons due to being more efficient and having less stress. So anyone who can understand, has a brain and is willing to want to change - can change.

ANYONE... but they have got to want to
Old December 16, 2011, 12:30 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
I don't think Sehwag is a great batsman of all time. He's a great in his era, but not of all time. I think he's taken advantage of flat pitches in subcontinent conditions. 50+ average means you're a class batsman, but it doesn't qualify one as a great. Because then Inzy would be a great without doubt (most Indians don't consider him a great and with decent reason), Chanderpaul would be considered a great, Graeme Smith, Mike Hussey, Younis Khan, and Jayawardene/Sangakkara too. They all have 50+ averages and are thus elite batsman. But are they great (ie legendary)? Certainly not. Further Laxman doesn't have even close to a 50+ avg but I rate him higher than all those batsman above. Laxman is a great no matter what his average might say.

Kallis, Laxman, Tendulkar, Lara, Dravid are greats from the recent era and in that order , btw (in my opinion at least). Ponting and perhaps a few others are just under that rung.
Wouldn't you consider Gilchrist an all-time great batsman (and the all time best in #7 position)? For the same reasons, Sehwag is an all time great batsman and opener.
Old December 16, 2011, 01:23 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire_x86
Wouldn't you consider Gilchrist an all-time great batsman (and the all time best in #7 position)? For the same reasons, Sehwag is an all time great batsman and opener.
Disagree after carefully weighing the possibilities of Sehwag's track record vs. Asaad's subjective arm-chair opinion.