facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 2, 2012, 12:30 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Nantu Ghotok

Mohammad Ali
Hilary Clinton twice.
Queen Elizabeth.
Chinese president Mao sOmething.
Obama never went to bd.
Rumor was when Clinton went to bd Osama was there too. (not confirmed)
Frasoa metera (France er prsedent. Pardon my spelling)
Arafat.
Louise kan (shangshad bhaban designer)

Old September 2, 2012, 12:31 AM
Cricket Guru

Oh zina the worrier. And one of the scientist from x files
Old September 2, 2012, 12:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by akabir77
Oh zina the worrier. And one of the scientist from x files
What did zina worry about? Aliens?
Old September 2, 2012, 12:36 AM
Administrator

We really shouldn't count random heads of states or governments even if they are leaders of the world's past overlords, current overlords, or future overlords (China). They are dime a dozen.
Old September 2, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
No it was tv series on the same era as Hercules.
3. Rubel Hossain: Corey J A bowled; BB McCullum caught; JDS Neesham caught
Taijul Islam: T Panyangara bowled; J Nyumbu lbw; TL Chatara bowled
Taskin Ahmed: DAS Gunaratne c Soumya; Lakmal c fiz; Pradeep bowled
Old September 2, 2012, 12:38 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

Quote:
Mohammad Ali
Hilary Clinton twice.
Queen Elizabeth.
Chinese president Mao sOmething.
Obama never went to bd.
Rumor was when Clinton went to bd Osama was there too. (not confirmed)
Frasoa metera (France er prsedent. Pardon my spelling)
Arafat.
Louise kan (shangshad bhaban designer)
Am I missing something here?

I've never seen his name butchered this badly, that's almost brilliant.

Francois Mitterrand
Old September 2, 2012, 12:38 AM
Administrator

I will note Noble Prize winner visits with more alacrity - Abdus Salam (Pakistani physicist now in exile at the Trieste Institute for Theoretical Physics, winner in the 80s with Glashow and Weinberg for the Grand Unified Theory) or Amrtya Sen (a son of the soil economics prize winner).
Old September 2, 2012, 12:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
No it was tv series on the same era as Hercules.
I was making a mean dig at you. It was Xena the WArrior princess and Amazonian Lucy Lawless was someone to not forget. That's a fictional character and was there an episode where she visited Gangaridai?
Old September 2, 2012, 12:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
Am I missing something here?

I've never seen his name butchered this badly, that's almost brilliant.

Francois Mitterrand
As someone who speaks French, that's almost the perfect way to pronounce his name sans the nasal 'an'. I also like Kahn's gender change.
Old September 2, 2012, 12:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Sangakkara,Lee

Yes, Jimmy Carter did visit Bangladesh. Wish I could meet Audrey when she visited Bangladesh
Old September 2, 2012, 01:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
I also like Kahn's gender change.

Astute observation. I didn't notice it at first.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:11 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
I also like Kahn's gender change.
Maybe the family Mohel did some extra work during Brit Milah we don't know about? Being exactly 5 letters away from that job, I heard only rumors.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; September 2, 2012 at 02:55 AM..
Old September 2, 2012, 01:15 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Maybe Zina worried about being stoned to death in Saudi Arabia, Iran and Taliban controlled Pakistan and Afghanistan.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old September 2, 2012, 01:23 AM
Administrator

We should stop. We are acting like the male equivalent of 'Mean Girls', me particularly. Let's move on to the topic of this thread.
Old September 2, 2012, 02:53 AM
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Shakib, M. Waugh, Bevan

Zee, who do you consider to be a 'historical' figure? In school syllabi, everything that predates the date of a history exam by 15 years is considered history. (So that would be 1997 now.) Would the visit of now infamous President Fujimori count as a 'historical figure'?

Anyway, on topic,

Josip Broz Tito of Yugoslavia visited Bangladesh to meet Bangabandhu

The famous critic, intellectual and diplomat André Malraux also visited Dhaka to meet Bangabandhu

Old September 2, 2012, 03:23 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Brian Lara

That head of hair on Bangabandhu...wow.

Actually he should be in that top 10 good looking guys thread, definitely a certain presence.
Old September 2, 2012, 03:37 AM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6_Turbo
That head of hair on Bangabandhu...wow.

Actually he should be in that top 10 good looking guys thread, definitely a certain presence.
I remember him well. Tall, powerful, energetic, always smiling and with what I've come to term as a magnificent baritone, there hasn't been another with that kind of presence and charisma since. I'll never forget just how easily approachable he was, or his hearty and booming laughter. Russell (RIP) and I were pretty much the same age and going to the same school at the time, and he knew how to win the hearts of children with a wink. He loved children and children loved him back.

-Personal memories, not political viewpoint.

Last edited by Sohel; September 2, 2012 at 07:48 AM..
Old September 2, 2012, 04:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Emma Watson went to Bangladesh didnt she? LOL i guess she not a historic person but if we take Hermione Granger into perspective, she helped kill Voldemort using her intellect thus she is historic in terms of saving Harry Potter.
Old September 2, 2012, 07:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Aravinda DeSilva, Lara

Quote:
Oh zina the worrier.
eto duschintar ki chilo ?
p.s. no offence intended, I didn't see Z's advisory.

Quote:
I will note Noble Prize winner visits with more alacrity - Abdus Salam (Pakistani physicist now in exile at the Trieste Institute for Theoretical Physics, winner in the 80s with Glashow and Weinberg for the Grand Unified Theory) or Amrtya Sen (a son of the soil economics prize winner).
Doc Z, salam has passed away quite sometime back. also, he got his nobel for the electro-weak theory, not grand unified theory (which hasn't been satisfactorily done yet and is unlikely IMO)

his third world academy of sciences (TWAS) provides fellowship to students to pursue research abroad. I know a bangladeshi student in kolkata who qualified for that scholarship and is pursuing his phd at an institute here.
Old September 2, 2012, 04:43 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel

-Personal memories, not political viewpoint.
He was the best. Just blurt it out. No need to even mention the word politics. Yes, he had headed down the path of dictatorship with BAKSAL, but I always thought Bd needed a benevolent dictator like Bongobondhu to succeed. After Muhammad Ali, I would have to place him as my 2nd hero.

Keep it 100,

Roey
Old September 2, 2012, 11:32 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
He was the best. Just blurt it out. No need to even mention the word politics. Yes, he had headed down the path of dictatorship with BAKSAL, but I always thought Bd needed a benevolent dictator like Bongobondhu to succeed. After Muhammad Ali, I would have to place him as my 2nd hero.

Keep it 100,

Roey
The subject of "benevolent dictatorship" was exhaustively discussed in a couple of threads (HERE and HERE) and I have neither the time nor the desire to repeat those posts. Do read them once you have the time. But I will go ahead and say a couple of things:

1. The term dictatorship by definition denotes the ability to exercise absolute power without being subjected to any regularly scheduled and lawful measure of popular accountability, especially in a civilized society where individual liberty is nurtured and preserved by its popularly mandated Constitution. That sort of absolute power corrupts absolutely. HISTORY rather than half-baked theories and delusions has clearly demonstrated in the modern world where facts are more accurately reported and extrapolated. The concept of a "benevolent dictator" is an oxymoron guaranteed to do more harm than good, period. Real democratic reform is needed when a democratic process such as ours in Bangladesh is subverted by opportunists and tyrants, NOT a dictatorship in any way, shape or form. That would be like throwing the baby out with the dirty bathwater, and therefore not only evil and criminal, but also irretrievably stupid. Real democratic reforms, especially within our challenging context, take time and each one of us can either sit on the fence to bitch and moan and stroke ourselves endlessly, or do whatever we can to become a part of that long and arduous process worth the patience and wisdom we must demonstrate in our work. At least now our people get their voices heard every 5 years as they continue to mature as an electorate.

2. I find the elitist psychology behind the desire to unilaterally exercise power over others without the possibility of role reversal, all too often under the egomaniacal assumption that "it's for their own good" categorically problematic, utterly repugnant, and in serious need of decisive engagement. These folks, in my opinion, need therapy and meds, not a state with an army and police. Such despicable characters have been repeatedly defeated by the Bangladeshi people and will always be InshAllah. We don't do dictatorships here and find the idea that a bunch of deeply delusional mental patients know how to improve the lives WE, not they live, totally asinine and worthy of the proverbial bamboo when necessary.

3. Check the facts, not handed down assumptions and conjectures, and you'll see that there was NOTHING good or justifiable about BAKSAL. It was a time of betraying the Spirit of 1971 as defined by our 1972 Constitution, extrajudicial murder and incarceration of political opponents, censorship, corruption and nepotism. My own family (Shirazul Alam Khan, ASM Abdur Rab, Md Abdur Rahim, Begum Yasmeen Khanam etc) was victimized by the tyranny as were many of our close friends, ALL veteran freedom fighters and pro Independence activists. That being said, we remain loyal to the party because we firmly believe in what it stands for even when many of its leaders clearly don't. We will never abandon those principles and the political party, the party that led us to our independent Bangladesh, responsible for their codification. The party is bigger than any of its leaders, and the country is bigger than any of her political parties.

Last edited by Sohel; September 3, 2012 at 03:08 AM..