facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 24, 2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
I got mine delivered on Friday. Extremely fast and extremely light!
Got mine Saturday. What Nasif said. I like the speed. Played with the Galaxy III before I decided. For a while I wasn't sure I will upgrade from a 4 but the speed sold me. I like the form factor of the 5 over the Samsung. In terms if features, the 4 gave me everything I needed so upgrading wasn't really a necessity. I like it.
Old September 24, 2012, 05:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
For me ... These windows based OS s have taken so much of my time in the form of Virus guards, checking files for virus etc etc disruptions... That my one year experience with MAC OS has made me almost forget about the word VIRUS.. Forever..as such the time is saved...I need nothing else to be happy with MAC...
Simple analogy bro, if you eat McDonalds all the time you will get fat. But if someone locks you up in a jail and doesnt feed you big macs than you will stay lean.

I love my Mac OS, but for any real work that is not multimedia based, I cannot imagine another OS beside Windows...
Old September 24, 2012, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGo
Simple analogy bro, if you eat McDonalds all the time you will get fat. But if someone locks you up in a jail and doesnt feed you big macs than you will stay lean.

I love my Mac OS, but for any real work that is not multimedia based, I cannot imagine another OS beside Windows...
I think this OS argument is rather old. You can do real work in any of the major OSs. It's what you are familiar with. I use all three of OSX, Windows and various Linux flavored - sticking with open source really does not crimp my style.

But that's out of topic for this thread.

I'm a bit bummed about the lightning connector and did not go the USB direction. I'm also concerned about global availability of the nano SIMs, say when I go to Bangladesh.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:21 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I think this OS argument is rather old. You can do real work in any of the major OSs. It's what you are familiar with. I use all three of OSX, Windows and various Linux flavored - sticking with open source really does not crimp my style.

But that's out of topic for this thread.

I'm a bit bummed about the lightning connector and did not go the USB direction. I'm also concerned about global availability of the nano SIMs, say when I go to Bangladesh.
There are already videos out there for sim cutting into nano sim. I am sure there will be clippers available soon.

Lightning connector was created for milking the customer.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old September 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Quote:
There are already videos out there for sim cutting into nano sim. I am sure there will be clippers available soon.

Lightning connector was created for milking the customer.
Cutting is fine, if that was all that is needed. I do have a SIM cutter and have been taking it all over the world to convert standard SIMs to micro SIMs. The problem with the nano SIMs are that they are not only smaller but that they are also thinner. Not only do I have to cut it (and that's no issue) but, for now, I'll have to sand paper the plastic side to thin it. Now that is inviting all sort of trouble.

I agree with you about the Lightning connector.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:05 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Yea, the guy who did the nano cutting; did the sanding as well. The whole process is quite risky. Very easy to screw up the whole sim. I hope by the time i go to bd one of the providers will have nano offering.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old September 24, 2012, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Yea, the guy who did the nano cutting; did the sanding as well. The whole process is quite risky. Very easy to screw up the whole sim. I hope by the time i go to bd one of the providers will have nano offering.
That's why I am keeping my 4 - until nano SIMs are ubiquitous. And then one of my nephews/nieces will get it. Upgraded my daughter too from an indestructible Nokia basic feature phone. We are now a triPhone 5 family.
Old September 25, 2012, 04:44 PM
ODI Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nadim 98
Any1 got iphone 5 yet?

Posted via BC Mobile Edition (Blackberry)
Got mine today! 3g vs LTE speed alone would sell i5. 3G - > was getting 1.5-2mbs, LTE-18-27 mbps from the same location over ATT network!!
Old September 26, 2012, 09:51 AM
Cricket Legend

just came to know of someone visiting Canada who grabbed 3 iphone 5 on launch day... took them back with him to dhaka and apparently the profit from selling all 3 in dhaka will cover a big chunk of his airfare to Canada....

if there are ppl willing to pay 80K-100K taka for a jailbroken iphone in dhaka... i wonder why apple isnt trying to sell it genuinely back there. Samsung sells S3 through their own distributors in dhaka.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:25 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Tamim, Mash

Galaxy S4 or iPhone5? My contract is expiring soon. Can't decide which one to get
Old March 15, 2013, 12:03 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Originally Posted by roman
Galaxy S4 or iPhone5? My contract is expiring soon. Can't decide which one to get
If you want -- more customization/flash capability (watching games from phone)/bigger screen then go for Galaxy. But I will stick with my iPhone. I just don't like Android ecosystem. iOS experience is much better and the phone design/built/performance is amazing.
Old March 15, 2013, 01:35 PM
BC T20 WC 2012 Fantasy League Winner

Before Galaxy S2, all the phones were catching up to Iphone. S2 started started to catch up Iphone 4. S3 took the lead in mobile technology even iphone5 couldn't overtake S3 tech.
Now Samsung realeases S4. Should be easy pick as Iphone 6 wont be released until at leaset 8 months.
True story.
Old March 15, 2013, 02:11 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Any leg break bowler

^^ so they gonna tease us until we die... i bet i phone already have the final design of 8 or 9, it is just their market strategy and trapping us beneath it.... thats why i say nokia 1200 is the best..
Old March 15, 2013, 02:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Nirala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
If you want -- more customization/flash capability (watching games from phone)/bigger screen then go for Galaxy. But I will stick with my iPhone. I just don't like Android ecosystem. iOS experience is much better and the phone design/built/performance is amazing.
Ekbar use kore dekhen you won't go back. You have to try it before you get a feel for it. S4 kicks butt
Old March 15, 2013, 02:48 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anher
Before Galaxy S2, all the phones were catching up to Iphone. S2 started started to catch up Iphone 4. S3 took the lead in mobile technology even iphone5 couldn't overtake S3 tech.
Now Samsung realeases S4. Should be easy pick as Iphone 6 wont be released until at leaset 8 months.
True story.
iPhone 6 in 8 months did you say. Good news for me. My contract runs out on Feb 2014.
Old March 15, 2013, 04:59 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Mohammad Rafique

Was a HTC fan, recently jumped to iPhone5. Should have jumped ship earlier.
Old March 15, 2013, 05:25 PM
Test Cricketer

Two words - iPhone 5
Old March 15, 2013, 05:38 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Favorite Player: bhujee kom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miraz
Was a HTC fan, recently jumped to iPhone5. Should have jumped ship earlier.
Welcome. I have jumped long back. Well from Blackberry to iPhone 3 and now 4.5.

I am wondering whether Apple will pull a fast one by bringing in iPhone 5S because it looks cool.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:50 PM
Test Cricketer

Galaxy S4 is ok. But my S3 already does everything I need it to do, so don't see why I need to change it. Unless I break mine or give it away to a cousin I don't see myself upgrading. HTC One looks like a solid phone though, would have been better if their camera was better instead of pre-processing image they should have gone for a higher resolution.

As someone who have used every iphones in the market since the beginning and extensively used iPhone 5 (my brother uses it), I just can't see the appeal of iphone over a premium android phone other than "Oh look its an iphone".

To name some of the things that you can do with android phone but can't with iphone:

- Changing battery. Bad battery or during long off-the-grid journey doesn't mean dead phone or taking your phone to apple store, you just swipe your battery. Many people might not know this but lithium polymer based battery self-life starts to drop after 12 months, meaning your batter can hold charge for shorter period of time.

- Depending on the android phone, you can actually add a larger battery with custom casing, the battery fits inside the shell as opposed to outer body expensive battery chargers for iphone.

- Micro SD. With higher resolution camera and ever growing apps size (because of higher resolution displays) its a crime to not be able to increase your storage size. Its almost a scam to pay for a larger flash sized phone with premium price for more space. Built-in flash storage will almost always will be more expensive than micro-SD. Imagine your iphone is broken/died everything is lost. With MIcroSD, you can retrieve it (if you store everything there, which I do) and just pop it on another phone.

- How many of you actually do physical backup, which can take an insane amount of time if you have many files. Iphone5 proprietary cord (lightning connector) has a slower transfer rate than a usb3 cable which all android phone support/uses. Its easier faster to backup/transfer from an android phone than from an iphone.

- NFC tags. A god send for power-users. Basically you can program your phone to automatically do custom things, depending your location or where or how you place your phone without any manual input. To give an example, you can put an NFC tag by your bed side table, so when you go to bed and put your phone on the bedside table it will automatically (pre-programmed) non-distracting un-necessary items like turning off notification, turn on alarm etc etc. There are like a million way you can set it up, like in your car, in your office.

- App updated for the same app will almost always come to android app-store eco system than on iphone. because iphone has a very large set of restrictions on what kind of apps your can install, and what your apps can or can-not do. And not all of these restriction are security related, they are control related. So lets say tomorrow, they don't like the recent changes you made on your app (which is used by many) they can totally ban you from the app store and users can't install it on their iphone, without seriously breaking it (jailbreak is far from perfect and doesn't work on all versions). With android you can download the apk from the developer and side load it if google play store decides to block it (which happens but rare)

- Android OS is frequently updated, with large features added in every major changes.

- Skinning your android OS means every android doesn't have to look and work the same way. There are literally 100s of ways you skin customize the way your android looks. In an iphone world every phone looks and works exactly the same way, to top it off the OS pretty much looks the same since it was first released 5 years ago.

- Better notification center and no its not a question of having subjective taste/opinion. Its just better in every way.

- Wireless charging. While a little gimmicky feature. Its an example of individual android manufacturing adding features unique to their hardware, and differentiating them from others.

- True multi-tasking with Galaxy phones.

- For powerusers, rooting for android phone and using custom ROMs, for more options, choices and customizations. to give some examples; you can increase your processor clock speed or decrease it for even better battery life, use custom kernels, or even use it as a passive wireless sniffer to crack wifi passwords and all kind of crazy stuff...

On the other hand there are very few things an iphone can do that an android can't. I really can't think of any major feature, so feel free to help me out.

Last edited by Blah; March 16, 2013 at 01:45 AM..
Old March 16, 2013, 05:56 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

If you are having tough time deciding whether to get GS4 or not, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgDmGjOz9ZI watch from 2:53. (or dont, then I end up with a better phone and you get a iphone which's been old news since Jobs died...)
Old March 16, 2013, 11:02 PM
Test Cricketer

^that does look pretty cool. However, reasons I like my iPhone over android phones--
a) look and feel is much better (for me at least)
b) size and dimensions of the iPhone suits my needs - i'm one of those users who prefer to hold and type with one hand...used to have difficulty doing that with Droid X.
c) never seen my iPhone get any bugs. with my Droid X on the other hand there was this bug where the phone would suddenly make random calls and even if you notice it was difficult to stop the call. (not sure if that's been resolved in GS3/GS4). naturally android phones are more susceptible to bugs.
d) not a big fan of big screens on phones. unless i really have to (texting/writing short emails), i prefer reading/watching live streams on tablet/laptop.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:08 PM
Administrator

What Zman said applies for me too. Can't comment about c. It just has the right form factor for my hands, meets my esthetics, and has all the features and apps I need as a techie. And I'm not a fanboy no sirree. The best phone is the one that meets your needs.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:06 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman
c) never seen my iPhone get any bugs. with my Droid X on the other hand there was this bug where the phone would suddenly make random calls and even if you notice it was difficult to stop the call. (not sure if that's been resolved in GS3/GS4). naturally android phones are more susceptible to bugs.
wat?

https://www.google.com/search?q=iphone+bugs

not sure where this, "naturally android phones are more susceptible to bugs." meme comes from but here is a list of recent iOS 6.x bugs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_ver...tory#iOS_6.x_3
Old March 17, 2013, 06:20 AM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

iphone 4S
really happy with it too
Old March 17, 2013, 09:35 AM
Test Cricketer

My assessment of the android is more based on personal experience and that of many of my colleagues. We adopted android early and stuck with it for a long time resisting the apple hype all the way until iPhone 4S came out.

Two common issues many of us complained about-
1) Phone calling people automatically (as I mentioned already)
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...matically.html

2) Phone freezing up randomly-
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/a200760b19

As Doc said, it's more a matter of personal choice and experience than anything else. I'm sure OS6.x has lots of bugs, but what matters is how frequently users get affected by them.

I've traveled to both West coast and the East since getting my iPhone 4S almost 18 months ago and iPhone 5 three months ago and haven't faced any MS exchange server related issues (although it does sound serious)...if I did and apple didn't come up with a fix soon or provide me a workaround I'm sure I'd be pretty pissed too...

One other thing that could be added to the list of superior android features, they have the best GPS. It was infact so good I used to be tempted to use it over the latest Garmin GPS...ever since I switched to iPhone that urge is definitely gone.