facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 13, 2013, 04:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hassan
Default 5 Things to Ponder Heading into the SL ODI Series.

5 Things to Ponder Heading into the SL ODI Series.

5) Ashraful’s Performance
Building up to the upcoming ODI, the lord of inconsistency has been surprisingly consistent. He has done well in the BPL, establishing himself as one of the top batsmen in the 20-20 league. He almost got a double ton in the 1st test match. And now he has been included in the ODI squad by the BCB. So he can blitzkrieg the opposition in the shortest format, and can also outlast the opposition in the longest format (judging by the last test match), but will he find the balance to score a big number in the 50 over version of the game? Someone is this forum said it best, with the Bd side always desperate on the look-out for consistent mainstays, adding Ashraful’s name to the list can tip the scales dramatically and make us a possible batting powerhouse.

Best case scenario: The sky is the limit. 3 back to back centuries. One can dream, right?

4) Should someone else keep besides Mushy?
There is much to be desired with Mushy’s finesse behind the wickets. Even in the last test match, he dropped Sangakara at 13. He would go on to score 105. And it’s not just dropped catches; he is notorious for letting the ball slip by him and run of into the fences. He would go on to score 105. Catches win matches, and Mushy needs to be a way better wicket keeper than he currently is. Should Anamul take over the wicket keeping duties if he has been practicing his keeping regularly? Will it affect the chemistry of the team if he does, with Mushy’s vocal encouragement coming not from behind the stumps, but somewhere else? For all practical purposes, it is certain that the captain will keep.

Best case scenario: Not a single dropped catch or missed stumping! This one is very achievable. Concentrate Mushy.

3) Will Nazmul play?
I’m not a fan of the strategy of trying to get 11 all- rounders. It reduces the accountability of the whole team. I only bring this up because I feel that Abul continues to get his chance in the squad all thanks to his ton in the test series. Rubel seems to be the go to ODI bowler for Bd after Mashrafe and Shafiul. And since those two are out because of injuries, I feel it is going to be either Nazmul or Abul to partner Rubel in a two pronged pace attack. I’m not saying Abul is a bad bowler, but he hasn’t done anything to solidify his place in the team yet, and he was less than average in the West Indies series. To top that, Nazmul has a pretty great record against Sri Lanka.

Best case scenario: Nazmul plays! And takes wickets to ease the pressure of the Bd spinners. In a typical sub-continent spin pitch, the performance of wicket taking pace options might just be the difference between the two teams.

2) Who will shine in place of Shakib?
Shakib almost always shines. That’s why he’s the best all-rounder in the world. But can we win another ODI series without his presence? If we do, it is clear someone has to step up. Last time it was Shohag Gazi with his mesmerizing bowling. Others contributed too, but no one as much as him. Who will it be this time if we are indeed to win? Who is prepared to carry this team on his back?

Best case scenario: I would love a showtime Shohag encore, but it could be anyone really.

1) Rubel’s Death Bowling.
This one is just scary. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. And I guess the shame just keeps piling on the narrator from that point onwards. So what is Rubel going to do to improve his death bowling? Will Mushy trust him with the ball near the end of the match at all, after making the mistake of doing so on more than one occasion? Don’t be surprised if it comes down to just that, with Sri Lanka obtaining 20+ runs in the last or penultimate Rubel over, be it batting first or on the chase. Either ways, that could be the difference between defeat and victory.

Best case scenario: Mushy wises up and simply gives it to someone else. Rubel is a fine bowler, but nerves keep getting the better of him in the end of matches when he's unable to bowl a single meaningful yorker.

Last edited by Roey Haque; March 13, 2013 at 09:29 PM..

Old March 13, 2013, 04:38 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Wow, fp quality bro. What's on my mind is when will the ranking/rating go up? ICC still hasn't updated the ranking it; not sure if the draw will make a difference.
Quote:
This one is just scary. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. And I guess the shame just keeps piling on the narrator from that point onwards.
lol!
Old March 13, 2013, 04:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeeshan
Wow, fp quality bro. What's on my mind is when will the ranking/rating go up? ICC still hasn't updated the ranking it; not sure if the draw will make a difference.
Thanks Z. Well, you know I'm not big on tests. So don't know how we will fare on the rankings. What I do know, is that we have an opportunity here for a back to back ODI series win. If we can achieve that, then we will climb up the ODI rankings for sure. Small baby steps. Inches make champions.
Old March 13, 2013, 04:55 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roey Haque
Thanks Z. Well, you know I'm not big on tests. So don't know how we will fare on the rankings. What I do know, is that we have an opportunity here for a back to back ODI series win. If we can achieve that, then we will climb up the ODI rankings for sure. Small baby steps. Inches make champions.
yeah it suddenly came screaming back to me.....
Old March 13, 2013, 06:21 PM
Banned

OP, you dont have any clue about Nazmul, do you ?

Nazmul > Mashrafe > Rubel > Shafiul > Abul >= Shahadat
Old March 13, 2013, 06:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
not sure if the draw will make a difference.
Yes; draws do make a difference, if BD draws all tests then we get +7 points and SL gets -3.

http://www.icc-cricket.com/match_zon..._predictor.php
Old March 13, 2013, 06:48 PM
Banned

I am worried about Ashraful for odi. But he is a test player. Rubel, I don't think he has any deapth. We never should change Mushy with someone else from keeping. It will affect if he is removed from keeping.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:33 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Nasir Hossain

err I am not a newbie but is that term death bowling or have been calling this thing wrong all along ?

I am quite disappointed at Jurgenson as the bowling coach. I think Abul could be better bowler than he is if he just gets line and lengths right. But I agree his current performance does not warrant his place in the team.
Old March 13, 2013, 08:58 PM
Cricket Legend

death is right
Old March 13, 2013, 09:21 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

the 6th thing to ponder is... What the hell is depth bowling!
Old March 13, 2013, 09:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Oh dayum. Correcting it now.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:30 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Yards
I think Abul could be better bowler than he is if he just gets line and lengths right. But I agree his current performance does not warrant his place in the team.
I'm glad you agree.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:33 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Oh dayum. Correcting it now.
It's ok. Even "I" with capital I misunderstood "dead rubber" as a fancy term for pitch, thinking it refers to rubber sheet mat for practice or something.

Only after I became a Cricket Saint/Scholar/Genius/Omega I found the true meaning. Stick to it bro. BC will reward you.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:40 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Stick to it bro. BC will reward you.
How?

They can start by allowing me to post 3 letter words . Otherwise, I wouldn't need to write this sentence. Just wanted to say "How?" and nothing else. LOL.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:44 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
How?

They can start by allowing me to post 3 letter words only. Otherwise, I wouldn't need to write this sentence. Just wanted to say "How?" and nothing else. LOL.
You are a ODI cricketer. You cannot be a Sage/Savant overnight. Patience is key. Nadim and I built our posting empire, drop by drop.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:48 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Mushfiqur's keeping has improved, but he still is not international class, IMHO. 1st test was very hard on him, long keeping duty, then bat long, then back to keeping. He will probably average 50+ if he gives up his gloves.
Old March 13, 2013, 09:49 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Nasir, Sir Don

Quote:
You are a ODI cricketer. You cannot be a Sage/Savant overnight. Patience is key. Nadim and I built our posting empire, drop by drop.
Drop by drop!
Old March 13, 2013, 09:53 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Change Zeeshan's title to BC Kamran Akmal please
Old March 13, 2013, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuziburo
Drop by drop!
Drip by drip. Like the proverbial Chinese torture. He is like the rash that don't go away and actually makes you feel better when you scratch.
Old March 14, 2013, 03:24 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Love them all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Change Zeeshan's title to BC Kamran Akmal please
Ha ha ha ha.