facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

View Poll Results: Who Will Win the Stanley Cup in 2012-2013?
Detroit Red Wings 1 11.11%
Pittsburgh Penguins 4 44.44%
Los Angeles Kings 2 22.22%
New York Rangers 0 0%
Minnesota Wild 0 0%
Boston Bruins 1 11.11%
Chicago Black Hawks 2 22.22%
Philadelphia Flyers 1 11.11%
St. Louis Blues 1 11.11%
Random Canada based team (Please name your favorite fantasy) 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 28, 2013, 09:40 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Its still sinking in. I thought we were done with major trades. I was watching the Habs-Bruins last night ( and what a game it was ), and it was all but a foregone conclusion that Iggy was going to be a Bruin. Iggy was scratched. Bruins did the same to their prospects. But, I guess it all came down to players choice. When you have a NTC, you can do that. Morrow did the same. Bruins had a much better offer for him too. Its great to know that these guys want to come to Steel City. Pressure is on big time now. It was there already. But, we like it. We gave nothing for Iggy. The first rd and two prospects in Agostino and Hanowski ( both in college ) and none rated in top ten within the organization. Joe Morrow was rated no.4 and we gave him for Brenden Morrow. We did not have to give Depres, Bennet, Matta, Pouliot, Harrington etc for Iggy. Its a terrible deal for Calgary. Bruins offer was much much better than what we could have ever given. But again, player wants to come here, and keeping him off the Bruins roster is better for us. The whole TSN, NHLNetwork, Aron Ward got eggs on their face last night. You don't break news without being certain just to win the twitter kudos for being the first to report it.

We have more than 23 men on roster now. I expect a quick trade or two by deadline to ship some players away for draft picks. Don't be surprised if Tyler Kennedy/Dustin Jefferey and a player is given back to Calgary for nothing. After April 3 you can keep more than 23 on roster. Right now letang on IR gives us some flexibility. Somebody that don't have to clear waivers will be sent down to W-B/S. Its gonna be difficult for DB to fit in new players in lines. But, its a good problem. We have a month to figure it out. I would drop Morrow to third line with Sutter and Cooke.

Playing the Jets tonight. By far my second fav team in all of NHL. Love everything about 'Peg and what their fans bring to the table every night.
Old March 28, 2013, 10:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Looking to get two tkts for Sat afternoon vs Isles. Iggy home debut is a must see.
Old March 28, 2013, 01:41 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram,Shakib,Mushy

How much are tickets over there? Middle section ones in Toronto are like $100.
Old March 28, 2013, 08:51 PM
Test Cricketer

Huge come from behind victory after blowing a 2-0 lead. The leaders led today - Phaneuf (C) with the game tying goal, and King Joffrey (A) with the game winning goal. Kulemin looks to be back to his 15 goal, defensive stud self. Guy is playing with confidence again, using his size really well, and is one of the reasons why we have a top 5 PK this year. He's chipping in offensively from time to time as hell. Had 1 G and 1 A tonight - both empty netters though lol
Old March 29, 2013, 09:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Yup..pricing is about same here. $100 and up for middle to low middle. I usually go to our co. suites when its my turn ! But, none there this weekend or next week. Its expensive here. Always sold out. No big deal. He might not debut this Sat I am hearing. But, Iggy jersies are everywhere on store displays !

Your Leafs are good now. Stay at six. I was not impressed with the Jets last night. Maybe they had a off night. They basically stood and watched us skate in circle all night. Malkin coming back completely changed things. He is such a horse. Streak at 14 now ! It is kinds impressive. If you are winnning that many games in a row, you are doing something right. I don't recognize our commitment to defense. 9 goals given up in last 10 games is very un-Penguin like..

Chiarelli was whining yesterday about Iginla. Who arranges a press conf. to announce they didn't get a player? Too bad for you he chose us. He has the NTC. Get over it. I don't know about them anymore. This year has me soured on Bruins a lot. First their owner and his role in the lockout ( perhaps players dont want to play for you Jacobs ), then Juilen whining about Habs 'diving' while he has the biggest embellisher in all of hockey in Marchand, and now Chiarelli bitching about us and indicating that perhaps we had something to do with his Iginla's decision. Not to mention Boston has the most annoying fan base in all of sports. Yea..Phrak them..lol
Old March 30, 2013, 05:16 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Nazimuddin

Quote:
DeKeyser, an unrestricted free agent out of Western Michigan, agreed to contract terms Friday and will join a defensive unit of the future that already includes promising rookies Brendan Smith and Brian Lashoff and well as prospects Xavier Ouellet and Ryan Sproul, who will both turn pro next season.

"That's one of the things that's exciting for us," said Jim Nill, the Red Wings assistant general manager. "We've got kind of a young corps that's growing up together. That's how you become a really good team.

"You go back over the years when there was (Nicklas) Lidstrom, (Sergei) Fedorov, (Steve) Yzerman, all these young kids coming together. That's how you build championship teams. We're excited about the opportunity of these guys coming together."
FINALLY some news we in the RWN can get TOTALLY psyched about! Detroit native Danny DeKeyser, a 23YO Western Michigan University defenseman has decided to sign with us. For those who haven't seen him play, he plays like Weber minus the super heavy shot. Don't get me wrong, his shot is plenty heavy though not quite Weber's class. Welcome to the Big Red Machine 5.0,Danny.

Yes I watch college, AHL, SEL and KHL hockey. I'm a total junkie.

Quote:
"He's 6-foot-3, he's got great mobility, and he's got a very nice defensive presence," Nashville Predators assistant general manager Paul Fenton told The Tennessean on Thursday. "He uses his size, his reach, his mobility to fend guys off. He's a guy that's going to stop you defensively and he can make a first pass, so he's the kind of defenseman that we are attracted to here.- NHL.com
He's practicing with the team now and we all hope he can transition quickly and smoothly into the big time. Since 5 is scheduled to be retired next year and Junior has 55, we should give him 6 we reserved for Weber before he gave Kenny the finger. The future of our D looks nothing short of incredible with Smith (D with immense and I mean IMMENSE offensive potential), Kindl, Ericsson, Lashoff and now DeKeyser being led by Kronwall. To add to that, we have Xavier Ouellet coming and Ryan Sproul turning pro next year.

"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 30, 2013 at 03:00 PM.. Reason: Danny DeKeyser
Old March 30, 2013, 10:29 PM
Cricket Savant

Now it's 15 straight for the Pens. What an excellent demonstration of team chemistry and solid defense against the Isles. Cooke had a great game. Some of the best, most relentless PK I've seen ever since Draper called it quits. Cooke's PK reminded me of Drapes in his prime.

Any news on Crosby? Praying for his speedy recovery.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; March 30, 2013 at 11:14 PM..
Old March 31, 2013, 06:00 AM
Cricket Savant

Lidstrom on Danny DeKeyser:

Quote:
"He's a very good skater," said Lidstrom, who also helps the Red Wings as a scout in Sweden. "He looked confident out there. I'm sure he was nervous on the inside coming out and skating for the first time with the guys. He looked confident … … looks like he's a good puck-moving defenseman."

READ MORE
Old March 31, 2013, 09:04 AM
Cricket Guru

I think #87 will be ok. It was a vicious deflected slap shot from the point that hit him flush on the mouth. yikes...Obviously lost a lot of tooth. Pain must be intolerable. There are no reports of broken jaw or anything else at this point. But, you never know. I think he will be ok. Maybe they will sit him for a few games. Playoffs are almost assured. Injury bug is beginning to bite us again. Letang out still. Malkin back after a while. Now, Paul Martin is gone for over a month. Fleury still on shelf though Vokoun has done amazing.

15 is still a great feat. We are playing defense like I have never seen before. Something changed. Three shut outs in a row. We have given up nine goals in last eleven games. Thats a three games worth for earlier Pens teams.

Iginla is gonna be great here. Once he got it going in third, he was cycling the puck beautifully with Malkin.

Cooke is a good PK guy. He is good player when he is not being a knucklehead. To his credit, he has changed his game since the ultimatum given to him by the team and the league. Since that long suspension in the playoffs two years ago, he doesn't even have a major penalty.
Old March 31, 2013, 12:15 PM
Cricket Savant

Down 0-3 after 1 to a team that PLAYS the way we USED TO play. Unforced defensive lapses cost us 2 goals. Luckily there's still plenty of hockey left.

Gotta claw back one shift at a time and only a sense of personal responsibility and EFFING PRIDE can make that happen. Someone has to lead and inspire everyone to show character. Can we show such championship intensity without Hank & Helm and with a group of AHLers?

Enjoying the NBC commentary. Spot on analysis by true doctors of the sport. Spotted Franzen just once so far. Two more to go over the remaining two periods.

Last edited by Sohel; March 31, 2013 at 02:12 PM..
Old March 31, 2013, 02:08 PM
Cricket Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohel
Down 0-3 after 1 to a team that PLAYS the way we USED TO play. Unforced defensive lapses cost us 2 goals. Luckily there's still plenty of hockey left.

Gotta claw back one shift at a time and only a sense of personal responsibility and EFFING PRIDE can make that happen. Someone has to lead and inspire everyone to show character. Can we show such championship intensity without Hank & Helm and with a group of AHLers?

Enjoying the NBC commentary. Spot on analysis by true doctors of the sport. Spotted Franzen just once so far. Two more to go over the remaining two periods.

AND on Gordie Howe's birthday at the Joe!
Old March 31, 2013, 11:59 PM
Cricket Savant

Saad continues to impress. Love his speed, control over the puck in full stride, accuracy of his shots and passes, and the almost Forsberg-like balance under physical pressure. He's only 20 now and will go VERY far. Kane is having the season we all anticipated from him since day one and he'll sustain this success if healthy.

Great to see so many skilled, LaFontaine type American players like Kane, Saad, Van Riemsdyk and others nowadays. We still have typically American hustlers like Parise, Stastny and in the not too distant future Abdel Kader in the JR and Tkachuk mold, but the number of quality finesse players seems be increasing as are the number of exceptional American goalies. It won't be long before the USA starts winning gold. Weber, Crosby and Stamkos should be concerned.

Anyway, very sorry to hear about Crosby and I hope he returns soon. Sad to see him away from the ice when he has been on such a mission again. Second time an injury mitigated what could have been.

Last edited by Sohel; April 1, 2013 at 03:44 AM..
Old April 1, 2013, 08:14 AM
Test Cricketer

Too many finese players for my liking. I prefer the Dustin Brown/Joffrey Lupul/Milan Lucic types more than the Kessel's, JVR's and such. More entertaining to physical hockey, mixed with some nice playmaking and sniping.

The Sochi games are just a year away! If Crosby remains healthy, I think we'd be the favorites by a slight edge. Still the best skilled players in all 3 departments (Crosby, Price, Weber). The Americans are pretty close to us, given their mix of skill and grit, along with great goaltending (Quick, Howard, Milller). I would put the Swedes at #3, due to their defense and goaltending. They are still really good up front, but I like the Canadian, American and Russian offence a lot more. What do you guys think team USA roster is gonna look like?

My predcition for Canada would be this:

C - Crosby, Getzlaf, Toews, Bergeron
R - Stamkos, Perry, St. Louis, Giroux
L - Tavares, Nash, E Staal, Sharp
Extra - Lucic

D - Weber, Doughty, Keith, Seabrook, Subban, Pietrangelo/Letang
Extra - Pietrangelo/Letang

G - Price, Fleury, Luongo
Old April 1, 2013, 09:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Crosby has the worst luck, doesn't he? Yet another amazing season interrupted ( not ruined like last time thankfully ) by unfortunate incident. Its a broken jaw indeed. But, not the worst kind. Not wired shut. Still on liquid diet perhaps for two weeks. So strength will be compromised, which is his strong suit. Be back right around the playoffs. Personally its sucks for him because its the second time in his career his pursuit of Art Ross and Hart has been derailed. He was a lock two years ago. I think same goes this year.

Geno steps up when Sid goes out. I have a feeling this streak is beginning to be a burden a bit. I have noticed it from players post game. Its time to lose a game or two. I mean, the only team that remains in front of us is '92 Pens. So, its in house, so to speak. Injuries are piling up too at the worst time.
Old April 1, 2013, 10:26 AM
Cricket Guru

I don't know if Martin St.Louis makes the squad. Its a pretty good squad though. I think the Canadian team you proposed will be pretty much the team as they go forward. I would in fact like a few of those Blues players like Backus, Oshie or one of the Avs young studs instead of St.Louis. Its a new team. I think Yzerman will do away with the older members from the 2010 team. P.K Subban is a must. He amazes me. He is such a special talent. If possible the fourth line ( if there is such a thing ) should be made of tough gritty players instead of likes of Sharp or St,Louis. Anyway, US will give Canada a run for their money. Canada will be the overwhelming favorite.
Old April 2, 2013, 07:20 AM
Test Cricketer

I will never understand why hockey players don't wear cages/full face helmets. I get that there is a "macho" aspect to it, to go with tradition, but its past the point of stupid now. You're seeing people lose out on money, and teams losing out on star players due to a lot of facial injuries (Marc Staal, Crosby). The NHL needs to get its **** together and start addressing problems from the root levels. Get the players to wear full face masks, and allow the fighters to remove their helmets/cage during a fight. This way easily preventable injuries can stop taking out our star players for extending periods of time.

I think MSL will make it to play with Stammer. Him and Stamkos are the dynamic duo of the NHL. I think Yzerman will try to keep that intact. As far as young players go, I think he might take a young guy like Piet and maybe Eberle as the extra's just to give them the olympic experience. They could get a game or two against the weaker opponents.

I agree with using someone like Backers/Oshie as a 4th line guy. They're all really good all-round players, and can be used in any role basically. We could take out one of the centers (Getzlaf probably) to make room. A 4th line of Whoever - Bergeron - Backes would be an amazing two-way line, capable of shutting down pretty much any line on a good day.

Kipper to Leafs picking up some major steam:

Quote:
The Calgary Flames have granted the Toronto Maple Leafs permission to talk to goaltender Miikka Kiprusoff's representatives.

Maple Leafs general manager Dave Nonis has been vocal about his interest in adding a veteran goaltender to play alongside James Reimer and Kiprusoff's name has been front and centre. According to TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger, the Leafs have discussed a contract extension with Kiprusoff's agent.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419626

Nonis has been vocal about his search for a veteran goalie (with playoff experience) on a shortish term deal (~ 3 years) to mentor Reimer. Can't get any better than Kiprussof in that regards. He might have **** numbers this year, but we need to realize that's behind the worst defense in the NHL. With us, I see his numbers jumping up to the .910 -.915 range, which is perfectly fine for a backup/1B goalie.

Bouwmeester went a little cheaper than I expected. I thought it would take 1st + B Prospect or 1st + 2nd to get him. He's overpaid by about 1.5 M, but he's a very good defenceman. A solid #2 I'd say. I'm not getting why Feaster is pulling the trigger on marginal deals so far ahead of the deadline. At this price, I've got to wonder why Detroit didn't do more to get him. He is the type of guy they need.

I'm very surprised by the activity this year. Lots of big trades leading up to the deadline. It's been pretty exciting!
Old April 2, 2013, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator
BC Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Ice Man, Chatter Box

Probably missed this, but are the NHL players cleared to play in Sochi?
Old April 2, 2013, 10:08 AM
Cricket Guru

http://www.thepensblog.com/2013-arch...a-message.html

Looks like Randy Carlyle has joined the new hater club that obsesses over Crosby and anything Pens. Bravo ! Do not want to disparage any franchise, which is not I am all about, but one wonders why he is not pissed at the hockey Gods for not being so kind for 40+ years towards his own club. I am sure, if asked, Bylsma would have a different answer if someone asked him about Lupul getting hurt by his own teammates shot. Anyway, what's another new hater among many ? eh? life goes on for us..
Old April 2, 2013, 10:24 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsifTheManRahman
Probably missed this, but are the NHL players cleared to play in Sochi?
Not yet.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=659944

That's the most recent news I could find. It'll happen though. 2018 is what we should worry about IMO.
Old April 2, 2013, 01:13 PM
Test Cricketer

Jagr to Boston, and Roy to Vancouver. Boy, is deadline day gonna suck

I prefer this though. A couple big trades everyday is better than a day with too many trades. Seeing how the flood gates are now open, I wonder who the next big trade will be.

My guess is Kipper and Robidas get moved by tonight.
Old April 2, 2013, 01:35 PM
Cricket Guru

Pitt media tried to get some response today regarding RC comment from players and coaches. Most rolled their eyes and laughed. Bylsma only would say " He doesn't know what Carlyle is talking about"..zing ! Right approach and frankly its beneath us.

Vanek is a scratch tonight vs Pens ! hmm..
Old April 2, 2013, 01:53 PM
Test Cricketer

Vanek to the Pens

Maybe Kenny finally steps it up and Gets Vanek to play with Datsyuk. Both Vanek and Pomminville seem to be available.
Old April 2, 2013, 02:00 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs PWN
Vanek to the Pens

Maybe Kenny finally steps it up and Gets Vanek to play with Datsyuk. Both Vanek and Pomminville seem to be available.
Nahh...We are done with forwards. Maybe a bottom six Pk guy tomorrow. Whatever we do, we will run it by Carlyle first to get his OK since he has a hotline with God.
Old April 3, 2013, 07:32 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamer
Nahh...We are done with forwards. Maybe a bottom six Pk guy tomorrow. Whatever we do, we will run it by Carlyle first to get his OK since he has a hotline with God.
Make sure to ask about letting the Leafs win a cup sometime soon

It's CHRISTMAS MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol I'm overly excited for today's TDD. Brought my charger with me to work. Will be tuned in to TSN radio all day.

I know there won't be much movement, but this is the first time in years the Leafs are in the position of a buyer. I wanna see if anything comes out of it. As long as we don't get Luongo and his albatross, I'll be fine.

I think the Pens still want a 4th line C to add. One of the TSN guys said it recently. Boyd Gordon seems like good fit for that. We'll see if anything comes out of it.

Personally, my ideal deadline would be acquiring a guy like Morris/Robidas and Kipper, and dealing Clarke Mac for a late 1st/early 2nd.
Old April 3, 2013, 08:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Mercifully the streak has ended with a thud. It was a terrible effort by everyone. Looked lost without Crosby last night. Vokoun came back to earth. I think we will lose again tonight. I could see it coming. Sadly, Kuntiz and Dupuis looked like third line to border line second line player last night with Kennedy centering ..Lol. Last night alone should validate Crosby's MVP candidacy. At least Iginla got his first goal.

Yes, it is like Christmas, except my Pens have done early shopping. Still, gotta keep an eye on a fourth line player coming in, if any.

Do you have a link for the TSN radio online? Maybe I can listen here and there. I think Leafs will land Kiprusoff. Jagr has become a rental nowadays. What a way to tarnish your legacy ! Maybe, we will meet in playoffs. Can't wait to meet those bums from Boston. They have been talking and chirping a lot. They don't scare me one bit. Its the Habs that scare the daylights out of me. That speed..