facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old September 21, 2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator
Operations & Administrations

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza
Default Alok And Asharaful going to India for spin training

Ittefaq report....

Cricket Club of India (CCI) has invited national leg spinners Mohammad Ashraful and Alok Kapali. CCI president, Raj Sing Durgapur made the offer to Mahbub Anam who was attending the ICC Cricket Committee meeting in India. Australian coach, Peter Filtop will train them. The training will start on 30th September and end on 12th October. Since Bangladesh team has no world class leg spinner, Filtop is keen to train the leggies. CCI will bear all expenses for these 2 players.

Old September 21, 2003, 02:49 PM
Street Cricketer

Very generous of CCI to bear their expenses.
Old September 21, 2003, 03:08 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

So good of CCI, there must be no amit there. :P
Old September 21, 2003, 05:39 PM
ODI Cricketer

As long a Bedi stays away from these two eighteen years olds. No need to fill their head full of the same mush that's in his, these days.
Old September 21, 2003, 06:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Yep, If you have neighbors with long traditions in this game, I say it is an asset. Use them wisely and prosper.
Old September 22, 2003, 11:57 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

Which means that Ashrafu (I don't think Kapali needs to play in practice matches)l won't be playing in these practice matches against England:

12-14 Oct v BCB President XI Dhaka
16-18 Oct v Bangladesh A Dhaka
Old September 22, 2003, 12:57 PM
Administrator

He will be back on the 12th. Why cant he play the 16th match???
Old September 22, 2003, 01:43 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

What is more important ? Missing one of the two practice matches of getting some useful training so he can surprise the english bats with some explosive turns ??? This way, if we pick Ash and he fials with the bat, he can atleast make it up by taking a few wickets.

Besides, time away from the national team and players may do well for the boys ego - don't you think ?

As for Alok, he does need to find tune is strategy for the test batting challenges, so, he could take part in the second pratice match. No one is above a practice match. Look at Tendulkar or Lara, why do they play this practice matches ?
Old September 26, 2003, 08:55 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Why didn't we send Saleh as well? He seemed to bowl reasonably well in the ODIs and test too. We are lacking a quality off-spinner no? Saleh could be our ideal all-rounder no?!
Old September 29, 2003, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Guess what? BCB changed their mind and only send Mosaddek Hossain Rubel.

They also wanted to send Kapali, but decided not to risk his sholder injury(!).
Old September 29, 2003, 05:45 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Founder

Favorite Player: তামীম, শা

I was going to write - it took guts to drop Ashraful - then I realized that ummmmm, no one's really going to cry a river over dropping Ashraful. The boy has simply not shown any sign of improvement.

Hopefully, time off from the national team will strenghthen his WILL and make him work harder to EARN his place in the team. The sooner he gets stardom out of his head and focuses on cricket, the better.
Old September 30, 2003, 04:11 PM
Club Cricketer

I read in yesterday's Ajkerkagoj that Ash is back to Pollima Cricket Academy. Where he is working on his defense-technique with his mentor Wahid Gani. Gani is a bit upset about ignoring Ash even for the other elevens. I pray and hope that he takes the lesson this time and enjoys an uniterrupted future in BD team.
Old September 30, 2003, 04:16 PM
First Class Cricketer

Some reports in Prothom-alo sounded sympathetic to Ash and Rokon saying they weren't given enough chances.

In my opinion, they were both given ENOUGH chances. Rokon thinks he's got it made, and doesn't need to perform, and Ash wants to perform but just can't. I would rather see someone new at least TRYING to perform
Old September 30, 2003, 04:21 PM
Administrator

BD media is like that. They will always find a point of view to attack BCB management.

When BCB play Rokon, Ashraful, the media will say, what does the management see in them! When BCB drops Ash, Rokon, then media will say, they didnt get enough chances.
Old September 30, 2003, 04:29 PM
Club Cricketer

Prothom-Alo reporter is a Rokon fan. But u cannot blame him. When Rokon gets going, it's so pleasant to eyes.
Sumon is very consistent but some of his shots look really ugly. Only problem with Rokon is that these days he is not able to play any kind of shots: ugly or exquisite.

As for Ash, (sigh).

[Edited on 30-9-2003 by tnb]
Old September 30, 2003, 07:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Default Yeah

Tnb is right, Rokon is just a classy looking player when he gets going. Those cover drives, what a treat to watch. And yes, Sumon is a really awkward batsman. The thing is, he never plays with a perfectly vertical bat, even when he is driving, his bat is half horizontal, which makes him look weird. But it works for him I guess, while Rokon just is not consistent enough for the national side right now.

I really want to see Rokon back, I really do. But he just has to work hard on his game and get mentally tougher, same with Ash. I know I'm gonna be hated for this next comment, but Ashraful and Rokon are the two most naturally talented BD batsmen I have seen. I am serious. They just have devils lurking in their head. I don't know what the problem really is, but they have to come to terms with their own talent. They should learn a thing or two from Kapali and Saleh, who while not as naturally gifted, have shown that raw talent is not everything. At this point, Ashraful and Rokon are going in the same direction as Kambli, one of the most naturally gifted batsman India has produced but he just couldnt deal with it.
Old September 30, 2003, 07:29 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Michael Slater

Bravo!! Very well said Sham
Old September 30, 2003, 10:40 PM
First BC Member

Rokon had many chances than Ashraful had. Rokon is also more experienced and so should have grabbed the opportunity to perform - but he hasn't.

On the other hand, Ashraful also had a few chances over the years, but his age had let him down - he also did not play many matches in the domestic level too. I say that if Ashraful gets to play for Abahani or Mohammdean for a couple of seasons, then he will understand how to cope with pressure.

And I agree on Rokon with paco that
Quote:
Rokon thinks he's got it made, and doesn't need to perform

Come to think of it, personally I don't think staying in the academy of Wahidul Gani will help Ashraful big time. He needs to find a teacher who will teach him the mental things as well as the physical things.

I was hoping that Ashraful may become a better spinner than he is now in the short-course in India. In that case, he could be a valuable all-rounder.

But seems like he will have to learn it the hard way - by playing in the domestic cricket. In this season, the domestic cricket of Bangladesh is going to be a little more exciting - with all the national players playing for the club teams as well as the regional teams. This is because there is not much International cricket from mid-November to at least 1st week of February 2004.
Old September 30, 2003, 11:48 PM
ODI Cricketer

Looks like Ashraful is completely out. If no one is going to cry a river for him, I will (for the talent he is).

I don't like the selectors decision to completely deprive him from all the chances. Another 'toghlaki' style thinking by the selectors. I guess since he is young, people just thought he should go back to the school. If he has it in him (I'm sure he does), he will comeback. If I had a chance to wager some conditions with the selectors - I'd bet their seats with Ashraful's return.

But he has to work hard to get back. There's no other way. And performing well won't be enough this time around. These days the team looks strong and players solid. Replacing someone won't be as easy as it has been in our history.

He is a real talent. If he is wasted, it's a shame.
Old September 30, 2003, 11:57 PM
Administrator

They should have let Ash, Rokon, Bidyut and Opee play the practice matches.

They deserved it. Also, if they performed, good for the team, if they didn't, excluding them would be supported by all.

Bad call from the Selectors.
Old October 1, 2003, 10:42 AM
BanglaCricket Staff

Default The hard way in the best way!

and performance is the key! performance under pressure is what separates men from boys, not Talent! International Cricket is a men's game and Ashraful needs to grow up! He has to learn the hard way. Some time off from International cricket isn't all that bad. he is not gonna starve to death. Heck! he probably lives at home with his parents who take care of him and feed him n' all. Some time off might just help him put things in perspective and make him realise how bad he wants to be in the team, increase his hunger! I think the selectors are sending the right message. Consistent performance is the only guarantee of your spot on the team and nothing else. Besides everyone knows what Ash is capable of, I am guessing an obvious motive for the selectors and coach to go for all newish practice teams is to get maximum exposure to the maximum number of prospective talents. Ashraful will probably make a comeback sometime in the future once he gets some mental stamina to go with his physical game. No need to cry rivers for him really. He doesn't need to be told its a shame he was not given more chances, rather he should to be told to shape up and turn it on, coz the competition is getting hot. Thats what will help him.
Old October 1, 2003, 06:36 PM
ODI Cricketer

I guess that's how the selectors think in Bangladesh.

But did anyone realize that taking all the chances away from him might hinder his opportunities to play at a better level? No. The only solution that BCB officials can find is to throw him out of international cricket completely. Isn't this equivalent to the age old punishment of sending someone to the forests? What an effective solution to a problem?? They can push over a guy and expect him to grow up without any nurturing.

There are many other underperforming people in the side without any real talent. Why can't the selectors let them go completely or shut them off from any chances? Because they can do this kind of behavior with Ashraful and not others who have some 'khutir-jor'.

I hope Whatmore has the right vision and bring him back overriding the selectors whims.

[Edited on 1-10-2003 by say]
Old October 1, 2003, 11:29 PM
BanglaCricket Staff

Dropping someone because of poor performance is not the same as sending them to the forest! If thats the case then Aussies are the worst culprits. Look at the players they have dropped! Besides they haven't banned him from all cricket, have they?! He can and should play in the domestic league, get some runs under his belt and then stake him claim. I don't think any one has a grudge against him!
Old October 2, 2003, 05:54 AM
First BC Member

Default What I want is for my prediction to come true

My prediction:

Mohammad Ashraful, the youngest debutante to score a maiden test hundred in his first test against Sri Lanka, is also the youngest player in Bangladesh's domestic cricket history to (either of the following) -

1) score over 1000 runs in first class competition
2) score more than 5 centuries in first class cricket competition of Bangladesh at the same season
3) score over 500 runs in limited Over 'A' matches
4) be the man of the match for Abahani or Mohammedan team in a crunch 50-over match
5) be the best all-rounder in a season in first class and limited overs A matches
6) be the best leg spinner in a season in frist class matches
7) be the first batsman in a season in first class or limited over matches

(Need I go on? There can be countless number of domestic records that Ashraful can break. All he needs is some motivation to go for all those records.)

And thus, Mohammad Ashraful has forced the selectors to admit him into the Bangladesh National Team WITH A BANG.