facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Other Sports > Other Sports

Other Sports Talk about other Bangladeshi and International sports.

View Poll Results: Who Will Win the Stanley Cup in 2012-2013?
Detroit Red Wings 1 11.11%
Pittsburgh Penguins 4 44.44%
Los Angeles Kings 2 22.22%
New York Rangers 0 0%
Minnesota Wild 0 0%
Boston Bruins 1 11.11%
Chicago Black Hawks 2 22.22%
Philadelphia Flyers 1 11.11%
St. Louis Blues 1 11.11%
Random Canada based team (Please name your favorite fantasy) 1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 22, 2013, 12:00 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wasim Akram,Shakib,Mushy

I too think the 8 Eastern teams in the playoff picture now will be the ones making it. The Jets have dug themselves too big a hole to climb out of. I think the only changes in standings we could see are the Habs/Bruins interchanging, the Rangers climbing up to 7th (Sens to 8th) and/or the Isles taking 5th away from the Leafs.
Old April 22, 2013, 09:56 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Shakib-BIjoy-Rumman

Important 4-0 win against Phoenix still keeps us in contention to make the playoffs. Nobody wants to be in the team that failed to do so after a run of 21 straight years and they responded to the pressure well. Franzen's on a hot streak and it was great to see both Filppula and Brunner get on the score sheet as well. Howard's in playoff form. He needs to be because we won't advance deep unless he steals a few games there.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)
Old April 23, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Sid Crosby.

Bad loss for Sens against basically our JV squad. Looked like our bench players that haven't played in a while looked very motivated to play. Morrow, Iginla, Jokinnen has really played well for us in recent weeks as they did last night. In absence of Sid-Malkin-Neal-Letang-Fleury-Martin-Bennet, those guys really stepped up. Vokoun contnues to play well, maybe better than Fleury. If Fleury falters again in playoffs, DB won't hesitate to yank him in favor of Vokoun, something we couldn't do last year for a lack of a quality backup.

Jets-Caps tonight is the game I will be watching. It is a playoff game. Jets win and they leapfrog Caps to no.3. If they lose, they are probably out. Sens have fallen all the way to no.8 and are in real danger. Rangers have a nice easy schedule. They can move up to six easily.

OT sucks. I don't think the loser should get a point. But, thats just me. I hate those three pts games, especially late in the season. We have more wins than Blackhawks, but thanks to their five OT losses, those five extra points have them ahead in terms of overall points. A loss should be a loss. It really makes a difference for bubble teams.

Today should be a great night for hockey. So many crucial games.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Unfortunately I couldn't watch any of the games last night due to an arrangement with my friends. Should have looked at the schedule before arranging it!

There is a real chance the Sens miss the playoffs given their schedule now - WSH, PHI, BOS. If they don't get at least 2/6 pts, and Winnipeg wins their only remaining game, Winnipeg is in, and Ottawa is out. Same goes for the Rangers, but they have an easy schedule to finish off the year - CAR, NJ. Who knows, NYR lost to the Panthers tonight lol.

Aside from the NYI getting a point, last night was literally perfect for the Leafs. All the teams chasing us lost, and the Habs/Bruins both lost. NE is still possible, but I don't think that's the best outcome for us (Don't see Ottawa remaining in 7th). Best is to face the Habs. If the Bruins can get 3/6 remaining pts, all we have to do is win the Tampa and Florida games and beat the Habs (in Regulation) in the last game for home ice advantage. So we need to go 3-0 for home ice, but just 2-1 to get the Habs. Things are going exactly as the Leafs would have wanted
Old April 24, 2013, 10:15 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

Rangers need 2 pts to clinch or for the Jets to lose a game in regulation.

The East is all but set except for seeding.

The Cup goes through Pittsburgh, the difference between the 7 and 8 seed is playing Pitt in the 1st or 2nd round. If you have aspirations to win the cup, you have to beat them doesn't matter when.
12.6 Syed Rasel to Sangakkara, OUT: What a delivery, completely fooled Sangakkara, first five delivery were the outswingers and now, this one comes in sharply, Sangakkara tries to left it and ball hits the off stump, top class bowling!
Old April 24, 2013, 10:50 AM
Cricket Guru

Rangers are the last team we want to face in 1st rd. No question about that. I know we have had some success against them in recent years, but that defense, and that goalie is capable of winning a series by himself. Plus, the new additions in deadline has made the Rangers more tougher. I think Ottawa will fall to no.8. They have three games left. Jets are done. Only one game left and losing last night basically sealed the deal.

Looked like all the playoff bound teams in East lost last night. Saw some of our game vs Sabres, and Miller just simply won it for them. Didn't like the game winning goal given to Ott with two mins left. It was clearly a highstick. I don't know what refs were watchin.. Dude is 6ft 3 and his stick was above his shoulder when he batted the puck. No big deal. OT was avoided. No need to play extra five mins for a meaningless game. But, no excuse for the refs to get it wrong even after video replay. Maybe, they don't want OT either !! lol..
Old April 24, 2013, 09:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Strong overall performance led to a 3-1 regulation win against the Kings at the Joe tonight. Gotta take care of business tomorrow against Nashville before finishing this season in Dallas. Then have the chips fall where they may.

I like our defense in front of an in-the-zone Howard. Other than the grossly overrated and overpaid Kyle Quincey, lost the puck at least 7 times tonight, our guys look great. Future Norris winners (GOD willing) Brendan Smith and Danny DeKeyser looked like a veteran pair already. They have ANSWERED THE CALL already! BTW guys, PLEASE check them out as hockey fans. 2 Smith (24, b. Toronto) has played only 46 NHL games while 65 DeKeyser (23, b. Detroit) only 9, both are exceptional skaters and handle the puck better than most D in the NHL. Danny's also defensively solid with great hockey sense, while Brendan's development in areas outside his natural offensive abilities have been pretty amazing this year. At the current rate of development, I'm almost scared to imagine how good each will be with about 250 NHL games under his belt. Of course Kronwall, Ericsson and Kindl looked to be in command of their responsibilities. Ericsson made a couple of highly skillful technical moves in their zone. Didn't expect that ability from the Big E.

Offensively, Franzen's hot streak has been immensely valuable and we hope and pray it continues deep into the playoffs and GOD willing, beyond. Well, even a non-contender can always fantasize about being one once the playoffs start, right?

Filppula didn't looked threatening today but Brunner looked good. Hank and Pasha did great as did Abdel Kader with his solid power forward performance in every shift under every situation. Not dead yet, folks.
"And do not curse those who call on other than GOD, lest they blaspheme and curse GOD, out of ignorance. We have adorned the works of every group in their eyes. Ultimately, they return to their Lord, then He informs them of everything they had done." (Qur'an 6:108)

Last edited by Sohel; April 25, 2013 at 02:09 AM..
Old April 25, 2013, 06:51 AM
Test Cricketer

I saw a Wings game a couple nights ago, and I wasn't really sure who I saw between Smith/Kindl, but whoever it was, was moving the puck flawlessly from one end to the other. It was the Wings vs Sharks game. If it was Kindl, then you guys have 3 real good puck movers coming up. If it was Smith, I know exactly why you praise him so highly. Filppula looks to have come down to earth this year after his uncharateristically good year performance last year. I wonder what you guys will re-sign him for. Seems like a 4M/YR player at best.

We played like crap again, but lost this time, as Reimer had just a "good" performance. Seems like we can only win when Reimer is "godly" these days. The team has been on a slump for 5 or so games. Thankfully due to our great play 15 games before those 5, we could afford it. We can't afford to lose any more games now, otherwise the NYI will catch us. Need the Jets to beat the Habs tonight in regulation, and we need to beat the Panthers, then Habs in regulation as well to get home ice. If they get 1 pt in the next 2 games, home ice is theirs.

Many interesting games tonight - Habs/Jets, Preds/Wings, Rangers/Canes, Stars/Jackets, Sens/Caps. The most interesting will be the Detroit and Columbus games, as a CBJ win, and Det regulation loss puts Columbus in 8th, and Detroit in 9th with both teams having one game remaining.
Old April 25, 2013, 10:04 AM
Cricket Guru

I think no.4-5 matchup will be Habs vs TO. Can TO get the no.4? Possible but not likely. I saw the Kessel goal on the far post. What a goal scorers goal. I don't know why people around the league trash him so much. He is such a gifted goal scorer. If Jets lose, they are done tonight, if they are not already.

Huge win by Wings last night. Saw quite a bit of the game last night. If Wings stay at no.8, that is the worst possible news for Hawks. Chi will be a favorite, but right off the bat, you don't wanna face Wings. They have playoff pedigree. Datsyuk..man can he pass the puck. Stars-CBJ is the game of the night like the Habs-Jets.

We are playing Devils tonight. I doubt I watch it. Draft is on tonight and I gotta focus on my other beloved- Steelers. Somebody finally caught Crosby in pts race 25 days after he played his last game! That is insane.
Old April 26, 2013, 05:43 AM
Cricket Savant

Another important win for us. Now gotta beat Dallas in their own building. Filppula showed up to play tonight. Better late than never. Gotta get Helm back for the playoffs.
Old April 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Cricket Guru

Second bad loss in a row now for us. Hopefully, they get out of this funk soon. You don't wanna go into playoffs on a losing streak and playing bad. If we get bounced again in first rd, all hell will break loose here..lol

Looking more and more like Pens-Isles in first rd. But, it still could be Rangers or Ott. We gotta wait the last day to sort out seeding.

Only positive this morning is Crosby back to practice with team.
Old April 26, 2013, 11:25 PM
Cricket Savant

Minny lost 6-1 to Edmonton. That means we'll take 7th and play the Ducks in the playoffs if we beat Dallas tonight. Minny will take 8th if both they and the BJs win their last game. More regulation wins. Dallas, Colorado and Nashville will all be playing for pride and it won't be easy for all 3 of us to win.
Old April 27, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

West will be decided tonight. East too, but may not, and we may have to wait for OTT last game tomorrow.
Old April 28, 2013, 12:38 AM
Cricket Savant

We're in at #7 and will face the Ducks. This has been an unusually challenging season for us and that had its own benefits. AHLers and rookies, at least 3 years away from the NHL under normal circumstances, took the challenge head on and developed quickly under the able and exemplary leadership of Kronwall, Hank and Pasha.

VERY proud of our young players. Defensively, we have gold in Ericsson, Kindl, Smith and DeKeyser with Lashoff and others in the wings. If anyone had told me that Quincey would turn out to be the only defensive liability we'd have at this moment, I'd have SERIOUSLY questioned his or her sanity.

Brunner, Nyquist, Abdel Kader, Andersson and Emmerton also evolved into playing their respective roles to the T. Filppula remains the only unproductive player after Franzen's current hot streak suspended him from my $hitlist. Hope he gets hot in the playoffs. Our third and fourth lines are quality, and that quality will be greatly enhanced once Helm returns. 22 has been a perfect fit into our organization. Finally we have Howard, who kept us in many closely contested games and has just turned it up a notch as have Hank and Pasha.

Last but not least, a lot of credit goes to Coach Babcock for doing the very best he could with what he has this year. Kenny can go ef himself for spending nothing on the offensive spark we clearly need, and spending way too much on Franzen, Quincey, Sammy, Bert, Cola, Gustavsson etc. There should be a reckoning after our run comes to an end. That being said, we're kinda grateful that he didn't trade away our great prospects, or spent the money Suters and Parises, never the top D or Forward in their previous teams (Weber and Kovalchuk were the top in their respective positions), aren't worth compared what better players are being paid at the moment.

We're peaking at the right time and carrying enough momentum, experience and pride into the playoffs to compete all 60 minutes against anyone other than Chicago and Pittsburgh to be honest. Maybe San Jose and Boston too. For now, the RWN will take things one shift at a time, one period at a time and one Duck at a time.

SoCal here we come.

Last edited by Sohel; April 29, 2013 at 01:10 PM..
Old April 28, 2013, 09:12 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Dubya

The East is gonna be a blast.

This is where the NHL failed, Habs/Sens, Rangers/Caps, Tor/Bos & Pens/Isles and its gonna be on some obscure channel that nobody has.

Taveras coming party
Old April 29, 2013, 11:05 AM
Cricket Guru

On paper, the West match ups are very delightful. But, we have more fans of East teams here sans Sohel, who BTW will migrate to the East next year. Habs-Sens intrigue me. They both overachieved, especially Sens with all their injuries. Both play very structured defensive game. Tor-Bos could be as close to West match up in East as possible. Both bigger hard hitting teams. But, Bos is experienced and first time team in a playoff usually ( such as Tor ) struggle in first year of playoffs. Caps-NYR seems to be happening every year. Caps are suddenly hot but I am not sure if they are defensively good enough to win a seven game series. Pens-Isles should be fun with a lot of goal scoring. JT is a legit superstar. They have tons of speed. Matt Moulson is some one we regret letting go. It was a mistake. He was drafted by Pens but Craig Patrick was not patient enough. But, things like that happen. Isles have a great young nucleus moving forward but I am not sure if they have the right defensive pairings to win a seven game series. But, stranger things have happened in past.

St.Loius- Kings : Great great matchup. Kings should come out but could go either way.
Van-Sharks : Its gonna be Van.
Hawks-Minny : Hawks in five. Minny just doesn't score enough.
Ana-Wings : This is my upset in West. Ana has tailed off a bit. They play physical and surely will do that vs Wings. But, I see Wings in an upset in six.
Old April 29, 2013, 11:03 PM
Test Cricketer

I knew we'd end up getting the Bruins somehow

Gonna be interesting to see how the team approaches a series against a team which usually eats them alive. This year we played the B's well though, so I think we do stand a chance. Reimer is gonna have to be extra good now, meaning he needs to continue his recent godmode.

First series in 9 years, so my expectations are low. Just win a game and I'll be happy.

GO LEAFS GO!!
Old April 30, 2013, 12:27 AM
Cricket Savant

It's Tuesday here in Dhaka and I have a dinner meeting tonight. Gotta find a way to fall asleep right away so that I can wake up well rested by 5AM. Great to be able to watch every NHL game live sitting in Bangladesh. My predictions for the playoffs:

I. EAST

- Pens-Isles. I'd go with the Pens in 6 and that's only because the assumption that Crosby, as fierce a competitor as he is, and Malkin won't be 100 in this series. But I see others stepping up, Fleury coming up huge and the Pens superior speed, overall application and puck handling prevailing in the end. Pens also have the X-factor going for them being a recent Cup Champion.

- Habs-Sens. Pretty much a toss up with the Habs prevailing in 7.

- Caps-Rangers. Rangers in 7 with Lundquivst and the D in front of him doing it for New York. Ovechkin's goals and Holtby's goaltending would keep things close but that won't be enough in the end.

- Bruins-Leafs. Bruins in 6. Bruins have superior goaltending and a suffocating style that compliments their underrated but highly effective dump-and-chase game. They also have the X-factor going for them being a recent Cup Champion.

II. WEST

- Hawks-Wild. Hawks in 5. Simply too strong. I think Minny would simply fall apart in the series because Chicago has what it takes to untie their tight defensive game. They also have the X-factor going for them being a recent Cup Champion.

- Ducks-Wings. A toss up with the Wings prevailing in 7. We play well against the Ducks and are coming into the playoffs with great momentum and a solid defense in front of an in-the-zone Howard. Howard will steal at least one in Southern Cal. We also have Pasha, Hank, Franzen and our third and fourth lines in form, AND the X-factor going for us being a recent Cup Champion.

- Canucks-Sharks. Sharks in 5. Niemi and Thorton will crush Vancouver as the Sedin Sisters are forced to book early tickets to Stockholm.

- Blues-Kings. Kings in 7. Kings have the X-factor going for them being the current Cup holders. Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, Richards, Carter and company will turn it up a notch with Quick ensuring series victory.

Let the games begin.

Last edited by Sohel; April 30, 2013 at 02:02 AM..
Old April 30, 2013, 10:00 AM
Cricket Guru

Yes, let the games begin. I am thinking along your line with predictions. However, I think Van will win over Sharks. This is it for Sharks if they lose this series. Their window is closing somewhat. They already got rid of some players, and if they lose again, you will see more leaving. Kings-Blues gonna be an hard fought series. It really could go either way. Three games on the sced tonight. NBC has some games on CNBC ! I mean what the heck!! As if watching their ticker and bulletin all day at work isn't enough that I have to come home and tune in to that channel. Oh, how I wish we had TSN, CBC and RDS coverage during the playoffs in US.
Old May 1, 2013, 12:45 AM
Cricket Savant

THREE PPGs and an ENG reflects just how tough it was during even strength situations. The Ducks pretty much took the middle of the ice away from us, outplayed us in the second period, and thanks to the HUGELY underrated Jonas Hiller (because he's Swiss and plays better in postseason) and Beauchemin (because he's a traditional defenseman), took the series opener 3-1. Fittingly, Beauchemin's ENG just a few feet away from Hiller sealed it for the Disneylanders.

But I thought we played well enough to hope for a split before heading back to Detroit. We must find a way to play the way we did during the first and the latter third of the third period FOR ALL THREE PERIODS for that to happen.

Other than Ericsson repeatedly losing possession, our young D performed well in front of a confident Howard, and the offense led by the relentless Hank and Pasha also forced Hiller to make some tough and timely saves. Abdel Kader in particular looked good with Nyquist executing some sweet and skillful moves. Franzen and Filppula didn't take quality shots but created good opportunities. Filppula was also good carrying the puck during D to O transition. The Fs and Brunner need to take more quality shots on goal and being bogged down at the boards won't make that happen.

I expected Chicago to win as they did but kudos to Minny for pushing them to OT. That being said, the Hawks never looked like they were going to let this one get away because the Wild simply don't have threatening goalscorers up front. Not the type the Hawks team D cannot handle.

LA came back strong in the final seconds of regulation but lost it in the end. Don't be surprised if Quick steals the next one.

I'll miss following the West as closely next year.

Last edited by Sohel; May 1, 2013 at 12:20 PM..
Old May 1, 2013, 08:57 AM
Cricket Guru

Saw bits and pieces last night and highlights. Wow, Quick is gonna see that goal over and over again in his nightmares. What a mistake. KIngs deserved to win. They completely outplayed Blues in second and third. Minny played Chicago tough and after their goalie went down in warm ups. But, scoring one goal will not do it against Chicago. They played great though. Gotta give it to Minny. Didn't see much of the Ducks-Wings game. It was late. So, reading Sohel's account is good enough.
Old May 2, 2013, 12:26 AM
Cricket Savant

I for one am not at all surprised by tonight's results. Both Canada-based teams looked lacking in playoff intensity and paid the price. Boston and San Jose will advance without too much difficulty.

Pens just blew away the Isles. Loved the way Letang handled Tavares and rendered him useless. He used his superior speed to win body position on JT and his shoulders to the big guy's chest did the rest. The fact that the big man kept getting hit by others as well didn't help his cause. Lidstrom handled Lindros just like that in our '97 Cup sweep against Cup favorite Flyers. I smell the broom already despite Crosby not being there. Malkin looked good and both Iginla and Morrow showed their playoff pedigree and value. Only Chicago can stop this team in theory.

We need to win tonight and go back to Detroit with the split. Expect Quick to make amends and steal one from St. Louis. Lundqvist will win one for NY tonight. A night of upsets to look forward to.

Last edited by Sohel; May 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM..
Old May 2, 2013, 10:05 AM
Cricket Guru

I guess not at all surprised by last night except SJ winning. Good for them. VAN should have stopped their goalie fiasco a long time ago.

Solid first win by us. Lets see what game 2 brings. Can't imagine Isles playing like that again. JT was neutralized by Morrow and Letang . They hit him at every opportunity. Solid defensive game by us. JT had not shots on goals. We had to step it up minus defensive leader Orpik who is still nursing an injury. Only bad outcome was Neal getting slashed by Hamonic. He never came back. I hope he didn't break his wrist. Also, Reasoner stuck out his knee to Jusi which should get a look from Shanahan. Beau Bennet continues to impress me. He is exceptional in his defensive game for a 20 yr old rookie from SoCal. We gotta play the same way again on Friday, more so if we are going without Crosby, Neal and Orpik.

Reimer had a real shaky outing. I expect TO to be better in game 2. Ference should also get a look from Shanahan.
Old May 2, 2013, 11:46 AM
Cricket Savant

Good read:

Quote:
“As a group we didn’t feel that we played very well,” coach Mike Babcock said. “We didn’t execute very well coming out of our own zone. We didn’t have a lot of speed, therefore we didn’t have attack time. We didn’t have good separation forwards and our D. We didn’t like our game very much.”

Players used the off day prior to Thursday’s Game 2 to clear their heads, choosing to throw footballs and kick soccer balls in the Southern California sunshine outside of the Ducks’ practice facility.

Still, with the Ducks having dominated play in the neutral zone throughout the first game of the Western Conference quarterfinals series, the feeling among the Wings’ players and coaches is that they need to turn up the intensity and do a better job at retrieving pucks and spending more time in the offensive end of the ice.

“I think we need to sustain more pressure in their end,” captain Henrik Zetterberg said. “There was too much one-and-done. They’re playing good defense. They’re clogging up the neutral zone pretty good, so we’ve got to get the pucks deep and go work in their end.”

Part of the issue is that five players made their Stanley Cup playoff debuts for the Red Wings on Tuesday, including a couple of guys still getting acclimated to the NHL level, let alone the fevered pitch of postseason hockey.

“We talked about that this morning for sure. We talked about it before the series started,” Babcock said. “I don’t think you have to get hit by a car to understand that it hurts. I think they’re aware of the fact that there is going to be more intensity, but sometimes just being involved helps you out.”

Veteran defenseman Niklas Kronwall believes that the blue-liners will be fine, and that the young guys like Danny DeKeyser, Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl shouldn’t get caught up in the playoff hype.

“The less they think the better off they'll be,” Kronwall said. “Just go out there and play. If you start thinking out there you end up in trouble. I think they were pretty good yesterday and will get even better tomorrow.”

Too many turnovers at center ice gave the Ducks plenty of scoring opportunities and left the Red Wings scrambling to get back to defuse a few situations in Game 1. But give the Ducks credit, they were opportunistic on the forecheck that forced the Wings’ young defensemen into making low percentage plays.

Some of that responsibility falls on the forwards, Zetterberg said, who used the last four games of the regular season as examples of how the Red Wings have gotten it done recently.

“We have to be in right spots,” he said. “If we’re in the right spots they will give us the puck. At the same time we have to hold up their people. It’s not easy for them to make a good play if they have guys on them right away. So we have to be a little better in all areas.

“We took a step back from the way we’d been playing just before the postseason. We just have to get back to the way we did and do all the little things right.”

Retrievals, neutral zone keys to Game 2 ... READ MORE
Old May 2, 2013, 11:52 PM
Cricket Savant

Our inability to sustain intensity for all 60 minutes cost us all season, and tonight's third period complacency due to a 4-1 lead was consistent with that. Well, it's 4-4 now as we head into OT. I'm DISGUSTED and Babcock must be homicidal by now