facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old November 3, 2013, 09:18 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: All the BD players

Didn't realize this but Mushy's average in ODIs this year is only 24.75 with just that 98 being the only significant innings for him. He's been great for us in Tests but he's going to need to push his average up in ODIs. Regardless of what we say, an average of only a 26 with a SR of 68 is still not very good. I know there's lot more than stats we have to judge but it's time to he starts performing better in ODIs.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:27 AM
Cricket Guru

IMO, Mushfiq is taking too much pressure by promoting himself to #4 (besides being the keeper and the captain). He should drop back at #6, letting Shakib and Naeem bat before him.
Old November 3, 2013, 09:39 AM
Cricket Guru

^I agree. He's been batting with great success at 6 in Tests, might as well do it for ODIs
Old November 3, 2013, 09:43 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

now that the middle order is performing consistently mushy if he wants could take some batting responsibility off himself.
Old November 17, 2013, 02:55 AM
Cricket Guru

mushy is likely to become BD's most successful ODI wicket keeper during the up coming SL series.
Old November 19, 2013, 03:10 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

What an interview, surely one of the best interviews by a Bangladeshi cricketer, if not the best. Kudos to both the interviewer and interviewee, some very good questions and even better answers.

Quote:
The Process Man
The Daily Star, November 20, 2013

Over the past five years, Bangladesh cricket has been obsessed with superstars like Shakib Al Hasan and Tamim Iqbal. But there is one man who is as, if not more, integral to the team’s growth. It is perhaps odd that the captain of a team is often relegated to the background, but that is the type of person and cricketer Mushfiqur Rahim is. In an era when Bangladesh’s results have reached unprecedented heights, it is his influence as the most hard-working cricketer of the bunch that has been the main ingredient. His approach has been defined by a focus on processes, with the belief that if those are taken care of the result will take care of itself. Mushfiqur is at the helm of a team that pulls together in one direction under the influence of his philosophy. The little big man of Bangladesh cricket talked to The Daily Star’s Bishwajit Roy after a typically gruelling practice session on Tuesday. The following are excerpts from the interview:

Daily Star Sport (DSS): This must feel like the best time of your career, considering the good times both on the personal and professional front.

Mushfiqur Rahim (MR): Certainly, it feels good when the result is good. There has been a change in the environment, something that comes only after a lot of hard work. The result is not in your hands, but the process is. If you give your hundred per cent and don’t get the result, there is nothing much one can do, but there is a sense of satisfaction. This is what we have tried and this is the reason why everyone’s mentality is slowly changing which has led to a collective change. Now I don’t have to tell them to do certain things; they tell themselves.

DSS: What is the significant change you have seen in your eight-year career?

MR: Earlier, we never played to win matches. Back then we didn’t have many performers and we couldn’t compete against big teams. It’s not that we were at fault; there were many difficulties. This mentality has changed. The number of performers has increased and now if we play to our potential in one-day cricket, on the day we can beat any team. This is a big change.

DSS: Where do you think Bangladesh cricket is at?

MR: You can say that we are in a position where we should have been three to four years ago. The biggest plus point is that young players have come in and performed. In many teams, youngsters take time to perform. But in our case we have to compete with them and that’s good. Also because they are playing well it takes the pressure off the senior players. The maximum credit goes to the youngsters.

DSS: Do you think the team is lagging behind in terms of the rate of progress?

MR: I think we could have been in a better position. But honestly speaking, it is a good position and it’s not that easy to hold on to. There’s a lot of planning and analysis in international cricket, I think it may have started a little late but the improvement graph is really good. I believe not everyone can achieve this graph in international cricket.

DSS: Have the recent successes made cricket more challenging or comfortable for you?

MR: Now it seems that when we win a series, it is almost expected that we will complete a whitewash (laughs). There is a confidence now. Often there is huge expectation and responsibility. But now, not just us, but the public — even rickshaw-pullers — also know that when we are in trouble someone will put his hand up. Not just Shakib or Tamim, but anyone like a (Shohag) Gazi, a Mominul (Haque) or a (Shamsur Rahman) Shuvo can turn up and play a big hand. So I think in this position all the players feel good and comfortable.

DSS: The team seems like a happy family with barely any controversies surrounding it. What is the recipe behind that?

MR: Main recipe, and I have always tried to follow it ever since becoming captain — I just had one motto and that all players are equal. No matter how many match-winners we have, if there are five players who play well one of them may bowl and get a wicket, but someone else has to catch it. So I always tried to create a comfortable zone for the players, so that they feel that they are very important. I think I have managed to achieve this to a large extent. I tried to share this recipe with coach Shane (Jurgensen). Credit goes to him as well.

DSS: How do you rate our achievements at home?

MR: When we can start playing well against India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka consistently at home, then we can say that we are truly a strong home side. To be honest, we have lots of areas to improve in the T20 and Test format, but if we can hold this current position then within three years we can make a big leap.

DSS: Are you satisfied with where you have reached after eight years?

MR: I feel very hurt inside because it’s not that easy to come here and perform, I took some time initially to get into the team — how to process, how to approach the innings — but after that I enjoyed. After eight years, I am really disappointed — the way I worked I think I deserved more. It may have been in my hands; maybe at times I was satisfied with my performance. The current position that I am in now is because of me, and I can improve a lot. If I can gradually improve a bit more I will be happy.

DSS: You average 36 in Tests and 26.33 in ODIs. To what extent do you want to change these figures?

MR: In the last two-three years, from a batting and keeping viewpoint, it’s been good. I am hopeful that the Test average will be at least 40 and in ODIs above 35. Hopefully, that may happen.

DSS: Are you satisfied with your captaincy?

MR: From a technical point of view, everyone wants that their team performs better under them. For me, the important thing is to hold on to the way we are gradually improving in cricket, that we play consistent cricket in all three formats.

DSS: Who are the captains who inspire you?

MR: No it’s not like that. But I see a lot of games, I always try to follow the planning and techniques. I like a few things of many captains — Mahela (Jayawardene), Michael (Vaughan), (Ricky) Ponting, (Mahendra Singh) Dhoni, so the things that I like I pick them.

DSS: Do you agree that in order to make strides in Test cricket, we need to improve our pace department?

MR: If you want to win Tests, you need good pacers. We are lacking in this department. We have to work on this from the age-group levels, so that they can gradually improve from there, because it’s not possible to do so after they come into the national team.
For instance, Rubel (Hossain) and Shafiul (Islam) were discovered in a pacer hunt. I think work should be done at the grassroots level, so you don’t have to learn much after coming into the national team; you have to learn a lot from there and come into the national team.

DSS: Your hard work and dedication has been praised by many. How did you develop it?

MR: From a very young age I have been taught by my family that even if the Almighty gives me everything, I should aspire to be something more. I was always told to take as much as possible. It’s not just about my success; I tried to be an example for everyone, so that through me five more players know that if they take certain steps they can improve. Every day I remind myself that this is a huge responsibility and responsibility doesn’t go to just anyone, so I always hope to work hard and be dedicated mentally.

DSS: Time and again you have stated the importance of being a good human being apart from being a good cricketer. How do you compose yourself?

MR: I try to stay compact as much as possible. Because we get so much exposure, so many people see us, if I do something bad they will think that players talk like this and behave rudely. So I try to present myself in such a way that nobody has a wrong idea about cricket players.

DSS: What irritates you the most?

MR: There are times when we can’t perform to potential. Then some say that we can’t do this or that, which is not true; we hear that there is something going on in the team, which again is not true; these things feel bad. At least the things we are not doing should not be spread. Nobody feels worse than us when we play badly. This is the one thing that feels really bad.

DSS: Do you plan to give up the gloves in the near future?

MR: Maybe in the future I might not be keeping in Tests, but to be honest there are no thoughts that way as my body is currently allowing me. I will keep as long as my body allows me. In the future if I feel that it’s time to concentrate more on batting I will do so, but right now I am enjoying all the roles.

DSS: Do you remember the first time you held a bat?

MR: Before joining BKSP, I used to see my two elder brothers playing and one day I caught the ball. That was the first time I saw and felt it and I started playing with them. But my real cricket began from BKSP.

DSS: How important is it to love the game?

MR: You have to love the game. For instance, when Sachin (Tendulkar) retired, he didn’t ask anyone to stand up and clap — it was respect that he earned for his love for the game. The more you love the game the more you will perform.

DSS: How is Mushfiqur Rahim at home and what do you do aside from cricket?

MR: We are a joint family, whenever I am at home there is a lot of adda, and whenever I get time I go to meet my friends in Bogra. I have a friend circle who I mix with a lot. I am not an introvert but I like to stay in my comfort zone.

DSS: Has living in a joint family helped you to enforce a similar bonding mechanism in the national team?

MR: Yes, the majority of it has come from my familial instincts. I have seen with my own eyes how my parents have shared things with each other. That’s when I realised that if I do these things, I can be a good human being in the future.

DSS: How difficult was it to study alongside cricket?

MR: It was a lot of trouble. There were days when I was returning from tour, and sitting with my books in hand on the plane I broke down in tears because I would have to sit for my exams in two days’ time. But my parents told me that no matter what you do you have to complete your graduation. I have a motto that no matter what I do, I will do it hundred per cent. In this case, my friends have helped me a lot with notes.

DSS: Tell us something about Sri Lanka’s visit in January. What are your expectations?

MR: Against Sri Lanka the challenge has always been big — they are one team who have beaten us by innings at will in and made us work hard. So when we went there and played well (in March 2013), it was ten times more satisfying. They play very well in our conditions. It will not be easy; they have to play their best cricket to beat us.

DSS: How is life as an engaged man?

MR: So far so good. Honestly speaking I wanted everyone to know but because it was during the series (against New Zealand), I had to manage a lot of things. But I didn’t know that everyone would have known. But everything is going good by the grace of the Almighty.
Old November 19, 2013, 09:44 PM
Cricket Legend

very nice interview...but where is the "definitely"??? lol
Old November 19, 2013, 11:52 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Just read this on Daily star this morning. Some nice words from the little one and I must say I an impressed by his attitude.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 19, 2013, 11:54 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Tigers
very nice interview...but where is the "definitely"??? lol
I suppose this interview was done in Bangla but as daily star is an English paper translation was done.

I don't suppose he says : "Hay obosshoi" too often.

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old November 20, 2013, 01:51 PM
ODI Cricketer

Can someone explain me what what is a "joint family" in the context used in the interview.
Old November 20, 2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden
Can someone explain me what what is a "joint family" in the context used in the interview.
Living together with uncles and aunts...
Old November 20, 2013, 05:37 PM
Cricket Guru

Good interview and Mushy as usual spoke very well. Good to see he's staying focused and staying humble. We have improved but still a ways to go. Good that he realizes that. On top of that it's good to see he wants his averages to be higher. I think having an average of a 40 in Tests and 35 in ODIs would be great. If he wants to have such good averages though he needs to continue to work hard and improve.

He's come a long way as a player and as a person. Hope he keeps it up and can continue the good work.
Old November 21, 2013, 10:35 AM
BC Editorial Team

So he really is getting married. I thought y'all were just messing around with the whole Riyadh as a ghotok bit. Someone give me the 411 please.
Old November 21, 2013, 10:45 AM
Test Cricketer

Good questions and answers. Team will improve under mushfiq's guidance long term. He has a plan, which is good to see.
Old November 21, 2013, 11:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
So he really is getting married. I thought y'all were just messing around with the whole Riyadh as a ghotok bit. Someone give me the 411 please.
As in you thought all this was a joke?
Old November 22, 2013, 12:27 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Viv - he made all scared

Its good thing that mushy closely watch other skippers. He has been good leader so far off the filed but with age he will grow up as tactician like Graeme Smith. All the very best captain
Old November 29, 2013, 01:15 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

Mushy's last 42 DPL innings:

84*, 20, 31*, 55, 87*, 77*, 80, 80, 37, 0, 60, 35, 33, 87, 17, 1, 105*, 10, 10, 52, 53, 26*, 106, 8, 116, 114, 58, 92*, 90, 93, 43, 36, 0, 50, 15, 31, 43, 44*, 145, 38, 82 and 97*.

5 100s 17 50s. The only blemish on this run has been the fact that he's only scored 5 centuries. He's been out between 80-99 6 times and not out 4 times.

He's scored 2341 runs in this period at an average of 70.94 with a strike rate of 89.69.
What's been most impressive is the fact he scores when it really matters. In the last 2 years in the Super League he's scored 853 runs in 10 innings at an extraordinary average of 121.86 with a strike rate of 105.8!! Unbelievable Jeff!

DPL BEAST!!!
Old November 29, 2013, 01:22 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

In comparison next highest is Riyad. I know he gets a lot of stick but you can't argue with his domestic form and proves that he's better than the contenders.

Riyad's last 44 innings:

1914 runs 2 100s 18 50s Avg 56.29

Tamim hasn't played as much as them and his average is lower.

Tamim's last 31 innings:

1250 runs 2 100s 9 50s Avg 43.10

Shakib has played even fewer games and generally doesn't do as well in domestics compared to his international form.

Shakib's last 27 innings:

842 runs 0 100s and 4 50s Avg 38.27
Old November 29, 2013, 06:51 PM
Cricket Guru

Mushy is dominating DPL which is great to see but I'd like to see him translate it to ODIs, he's got it in him and I'm sure he will get there.
Old November 30, 2013, 05:12 AM
Cricket Legend

As I said, Mushfiq is the greatest DPL player ever. Last 3-4 seasons he has been the top scorer or thereabouts consistently. This year too had he not been playing for Bangladesh he would've ended up as the highest run-scorer. And he just takes it to another level in the Super League when the pressure is on. Without a doubt, he's the best batsman in domestic cricket. He proved it in the BPL and now in the DPL. It's also amazing to see how much he has improved his ability to score at a high SR, something he really struggled with early in his career. Now he just needs to replicate these kind of performances internationally and improve his consistency. I believe he is on track to do that.
Old November 30, 2013, 01:01 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Bangladesh

Right now Little Mushy is the best BD cricketer out there. Even Shakib comes after him! Mushy is simply taking BD cricket to an another level. This lad has drive, determination, discipline, professionalism and bucket loads of talent. I expect greater things from this little gem, inshaallah.

Many top sides would love to have him in their ranks.
Old November 30, 2013, 02:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Right now Mushy, Tamim, Shakib and Nasir without a doubt our best match winners since the last WC. Nasir has an avg of a 57 in matches won while Tamim, Mushy and Shakib avg in the 40s when you combine all the formats. They're all equally important to the team IMO.
Old November 30, 2013, 02:30 PM
Cricket Guru

Another reason why you cannot put Riyad along with these 4 is the fact that Riyad has an avg of a 29 only in matches won and has only 1 fifty while Tamim has 6, Nasir and Shakib have 5 and Mushy has 4. Disappointing numbers for a player whose been a regular especially in ODIs.
Old November 30, 2013, 02:48 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

in very good form. started his career slow, otherwise his average would have been higher now. the current avg. doesn't justify his true talent and dedication.
Old November 30, 2013, 07:24 PM
Cricket Guru

he's still having trouble being consistent in ODIs though, but that could be partially due to him having worked on so many of the issues he had in shorter format cricket which in terms of skills, now he's right up there he just needs to figure out how to put it altogether more consistently which he's been able to do the last couple of years in the DPL so he should be able to translate it internationally hopefully soon.

he's been pretty decent in tests for a number of years now and now he has all the skills he needs to be a great ODI player.