facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old August 28, 2014, 08:47 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

shumon dar khobor ki? ^^^^
Old August 29, 2014, 01:54 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Ballad of a cricket monomaniac

I am here to make a Faustian bargain.

Suppose, just suppose, right after hearing, or, reading these words, a thought activated smart bomb were set off to detonate in the northern valley of the province of L'Isle sur la Sorgue. But, there is respite. Within thirteen seconds, a phone will ring or a knock will be there on the door, with a messenger asking you for the code. And that is where you, come in. Will you let the blood of the massacre of three dozen men be in your hands, or will you let yourself redeem your chance for mistakenly reading the opening lines? And thirteen seconds is roughly the time it will take you to finish reading this.

Yes, I am fully aware in this digital age every tidbits of cricket trivia is at the fingertips. Go ahead! I dare you to indulge in decoding this two digit number the base 36 of itself repeats.

Well, well, well. All my life I have single-handedly devoted time chasing the tales around this number. I have been feverishly out of my mind seeing it pop up in various places. Imagine my delight when I saw this had tremendous significance in cricket literature after it fancied the same one as Don as this was a last. Few will miss the various morphs in which it appeared: batsmen scoring it that included fifty-percent or more of the innings total by Trumper, Sutcliffe and Weir. Or to talk of Doug Walters span and runs conceded by Kumble in his epic.

Dad Weir who was the oldest surviving Test cricketer a while ago scored it once.

It is also a score Lord Tennyson who was the grandson of the poet. You might recall that under his leadership the era saw what can only be deemed as the “Hampshire turnaround“. After being dismissed for only 15, and being put to follow on, they amassed 521 runs to Warwickshire’s reply and bowled them out.

The first of this was by Billy Barnes followed up by Ulyett, Blackham and Darling. Of these Jack Blackham’s one made in his final test is still the record for the highest partnership for Australia. It helped England win by 10 runs even after being forced to follow on.

These two digits on debut after which a warship is named appeared as a debut score for Gunn. And of course, in 1931 he and his son, GV Gunn, each scored a century in the same innings against Warwickshire. The nocturnal of this was by Salman Butt. Strauss recorded it retired hurt. Fastest one was by O’Donnell. Raman Lamba’s helped India beat Australia and earn him Man of the Match.

Redpath described as "a lanky, long-necked figure without a spare ounce of flesh" scored it with Walters against South Africa - the same where Graeme Pollock had two hundred more of it. Redpath you'd fondly recall resumed a career in antique-dealing post-retirement did not hit his first six in career until his 66th Test.

Tick tock! Time's up.

What is the code?
Old August 29, 2014, 02:11 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Can a batsman's score be predicted in the sport of cricket?
Old August 29, 2014, 03:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

সেন্ট কিটসে এক দিনের পর্যটক

Quote:
হ্যাঁ, এক তামিম ইকবালই শুধু সঙ্গী হননি বাংলাদেশ দলের সমুদ্রবিহারে। গ্রেনাডায় স্নরকেলিং করতে সমুদ্রে গিয়ে বাজে অভিজ্ঞতা হয়েছে। ‘সি সিকনেসে’ এতটাই আক্রান্ত হয়েছিলেন যে জাহাজে শুয়েই পড়েছিলেন। প্রচণ্ড মাথা ঘোরানো, বমির ভাব—সমুদ্রকে ভয় পেতে যত রকমের অভিজ্ঞতা দরকার, সবই হয়েছিল ওই এক বিহারে। এবার তাই আর ভুল করেননি তামিম। পরশু সকাল থেকে দুপুর পর্যন্ত দলের কোচ-খেলোয়াড় সবাই ক্যারিবিয়ান সমুদ্রে এক দিনের পর্যটক হয়ে গেলেও তামিম রয়ে গেলেন ম্যারিয়ট রিসোর্টেই।
Quote:
তবে নাম প্রকাশ না করার শর্তে দু-একজন তাঁদের অভিজ্ঞতা শোনালেন। দলের তরুণ এক ক্রিকেটার যেমন খুব সহজ-স্বাভাবিকভাবে বলছিলেন, ‘আমার তো খুবই ভালো লেগেছে। সমুদ্র দেখলাম, স্যান্ডউইচ আর চিকেন দিয়ে লাঞ্চ করলাম, তারপর ফিরে এলাম।’ আরেক ক্রিকেটারের কথা, ‘সফরের মধ্যে সবাই মিলে এক-আধটু এ রকম ঘোরাঘুরি করলে সব ধরনের চাপই অনেক কমে যায়। সবাই একসঙ্গে আড্ডা দেওয়া, খেলা ছাড়া অন্য কিছু নিয়ে একটা দিন কাটানো—এসব তো সচরাচর হয়ে ওঠে না আমাদের।’ আরেকজন বলছিলেন, ‘আমাদের জীবনের বেশির ভাগ সময়ই চলে যায় ক্রিকেটের পেছনে। নিজের অজান্তেই হয়তো আমরা বিরক্ত হয়ে উঠি ক্রিকেট-ব্যস্ত জীবনের ওপর। সেটা থেকে মুক্তির জন্যও এ রকম ঘুরতে যাওয়া ভালো। আর নতুন অভিজ্ঞতা তো হয়ই।’
ke bolse ei kotha ta? kan dhor utbosh korano dorkar, deshi kutta diya kamrano dorkar. shara jibon chole gelo cricketer er pichone kintu am chala kichui to korte parla nah. magna magna sandwich ar chicken khaite shobari bhalo lage.

http://www.prothom-alo.com/sports/ar...A6%9F%E0%A6%95
Old September 1, 2014, 05:29 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Hashim Amla

i really wish al amin can take a fifer in the upcoming test. Don't remember the last time a Bangladeshi pacer took a fifer from Bangladesh
Old September 12, 2014, 05:29 PM
BC Staff
BC Editorial Team

Less than ten runs to win...and losing wicket

Lurking amidst forgotten existence of tens and thousands of numerous scorecards of the world, is an unique one fitting her own niche. It is like that rare flower that blooms once in a lifetime. It happened only once - in the year 2003 between Australia and West Indies during Frank Worrell Cup at Bridgetown.

Recently concluded Caribbean test against Bangladesh made me wonder what would happen if match could end with target of 8 or 9 runs to win and everyone got bowled for nought? Although such impossible cases aside the list here shows that there are many cases where less than 10 runs were needed to win, only once there was a match where a wicket fell when 8 runs were needed to win.

It was the same match that Steve Waugh would pass Donald Bradman's record of most centuries in Test. As Andrew Miller succinctly put it:
Quote:
Like a pinch of salt in a culinary masterpiece, Steve Waugh's grit is used sparingly by the Australians these days. But when he gets his opportunity, his flavour invariably floods through. Today, asked to bat for only the second time in the series, he nudged and nurdled - and occasionally sparkled - to his 30th Test century, one more than the great Sir Don Bradman. By the time Australia declared on an insurmountable 605 for 9, West Indies had been humiliated on the ground they once called their fortress.
Although I searched hard for the video of the match on Youtube, Robe Linda or anyone else for that matter did not have it. So I had to reconstruct it like forensics to get the visual of a statistical fingerprint. It seemed it happened on the the very first ball when Lawson struck at the very first ball:
Lawson to Langer, OUT

JL Langer lbw b Lawson 0 (1m 1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

What a feeling it must have been! Imean here is Lawson walking amongst the greats as Lara, Hayden, Gayle, Gilchrist, Chanderpaul and Ponting and he knows that there could be no impossible turnaround in spite of the first blood that he drew. An irony of fate! But that is what they taught us in Filipino martial arts school (stickfighting or kali). If you are fighting with a knife and stick against someone of equal strength and lose your knife then you come with stick. If you lose your stick then keep your hands up in boxing stance. If you lose your arm then you keep going with the other one. If you lose your feet you still keep fighting. Same applies in chess where when stubborn players did not resign instead kept fighting in handicap position would pull out wins.

If this test loss is any lesson to Mushfiqur or anyone in that list is the fact that one should never get a loaded side against them take advantage. Like chess, cricket also can be taken to fantasy realms such as this unique scorecard suggests. Jermaine Lawson gave us that flicker and hope and showed us that sometimes fiction can be stranger than the truth, and there is always a way
Old September 12, 2014, 09:20 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifat
i really wish al amin can take a fifer in the upcoming test. Don't remember the last time a Bangladeshi pacer took a fifer from Bangladesh
Well Taskin just did it in Odis. Hope he gets to play tests under a good captain who can manage his workload carefully
Old September 23, 2014, 10:52 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Thinking about opening a new thread: Is Tamim our best opener ever?
Old September 26, 2014, 12:22 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

so whats the plan to get outta this bad patch? hold another bpl or maybe send our players to the moon? what?
Old September 27, 2014, 05:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Suhrawadi Shuvo

“Bangladesh stagnant because nothing’s changed”

In the 2007 World Cup, India made an early exit thanks in large part to the efforts of a spirited bunch of Bangladesh youngsters. The likes of Tamim Iqbal, Mushfiqur Rahim and Shakib Al Hasan gave their side hopes of a new dawn while landing a knockout blow on India’s aspirations in a five-wicket win. In recent times however, that spirit and spark seems to have gone astray.

Bangladesh were making progress – albeit slowly – but the last year has undone all of that. It has been the worst year in their history and gives the impression that the team have forgotten how to go that extra mile in pursuit of victory. Of the 27 games Bangladesh have played this year, they have won only two Twenty20 Internationals – one against Afghanistan and the other against Nepal. They are yet to win a One-Day International.

http://www.wisdenindia.com/interview...changed/128077
Old September 29, 2014, 08:37 PM

Crackdown on spinners really heating up. Ajmal gone and now Narine is reported. All of this so close to the world cup.
Old September 29, 2014, 09:07 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: shakib al hasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
Crackdown on spinners really heating up. Ajmal gone and now Narine is reported. All of this so close to the world cup.
i fear about shakib and riyad.
Old September 29, 2014, 10:27 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mashrafe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moh899
i fear about shakib and riyad.
Shakib bowls round arm, so he is okay. Riyad's action looks dodgy when he tries to bowl quicker or doosra.
Old October 2, 2014, 11:53 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: rahul dravid

Sunile narine reported again.wont play in clt20 final

Posted via BC Mobile Edition
Old October 11, 2014, 12:17 AM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

It's not even funny how much KC Royals catcher looks like Raqibul Hasan that it pisses me off! And he's got a Raqibul marka name too, Salvador. And he tires to act like this chill dude that he's not. But except one of them can actually play ball and win.
Old October 15, 2014, 05:30 PM
Street Cricketer

Why can't I stop following cricket?
Old October 19, 2014, 09:03 AM
First Class Cricketer

"
Bangladesh have named uncapped legspinner Jubair Hossain in their 14-man squad for the first Test against Zimbabwe this month and have recalled Shahadat Hossain and Marshall Ayub.

"
Shahadat again ???? I thought we had got rid of him thanks to our epic loss in Asia cup finals. Why do useless players keep coming back ?
Old October 19, 2014, 05:03 PM
Street Cricketer

R.I.P BD Cricket
Old October 25, 2014, 03:17 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

Randomly came across a LA Galaxy game on TV this morning and seeing their alternative/third jersey made me think it was Bangladeshi team or something. It's ugly and random for them because it has no correlation to their color scheme. But I think this would make a great Bangladeshi jersey!

http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/leagu...XY_RM_0029.jpg
http://www.mlssoccer.com/sites/leagu.../08/galaxy.jpg
Old October 30, 2014, 09:37 PM
Cricket Legend

Wally Edwards, the chair of the ICC's executive committee:

Quote:
"We want to see countries like Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Scotland, Ireland get better at cricket, and that will drive interest worldwide. The pressure's on, and that's how it needs to be. World cricket will get better if countries get better at cricket, that's the focus."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci-icc/c...ry/794451.html
Old October 31, 2014, 03:19 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

^

Why the sad face. He atleast said what we ourselves want, Bangladesh to get better. There are some people in the world who we wishes we would overall quit cricket and understandably so after a year long of being at the receiving end even by the hands of associates.
Old October 31, 2014, 03:48 AM

I think the sad face is because after 14 years of Test cricket, we still get mentioned with Afghanistan, Scotland and Ireland
Old October 31, 2014, 07:37 AM
Cricket Legend

^ yes Jadukor. That was demeaning for us.
Old October 31, 2014, 09:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Sangakkara, Mike Hussey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I think the sad face is because after 14 years of Test cricket, we still get mentioned with Afghanistan, Scotland and Ireland
Well to be honest we are much better than Afghanistan and Scotland, while Ireland aren't too far.

I know its been 14 years since we have started playing test cricket, but the results are not surprising. We lack infrastructure and the players lack the body language to become top cricketers
Old November 5, 2014, 12:28 PM
Cricket Guru
Commissioner, MLC

100 days count down to WC15 on ESPN.