facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

View Poll Results: Does the World Cup over-ride the pain of 2014?
Yes, f**k 2014...no one cares 10 83.33%
No, smacking Stuart Binny is more important than trifling s**t like a World Cup. 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 10, 2015, 06:39 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin
Default Was the pain of 2014 "worth it"?

Last year, while we were losing to anybody and everybody, losing games even the dead could have won, I kept thinking to myself "you know, we better do something big at the world cup next year...". By the time we were 58 all out against India's A team, I was pretty sure the world cup would be a disaster just waiting to happen.

8 months later, here we are. The world cup has been simply magical so far. From Mortaza coming out of nowhere to captain, hobbling on two shattered "legs", and fighting excruciating pain to motivate the rest of the boys. Rubel going from a jail cell to shattering stumps, Taskin just being Taskin and starting to make a name for himself outside of BD, and Mushy batting like he's got the bowlers' arms on strings.

The question is, was that nightmare of a year worth it for this? In other words, did the joy of Rubel crushing Jimmy's stumps make up for the pain of 2014. The losses to Lanka, the losses to Afghanistan and Hong Kong, the ignominy that was Stuart Binny?

My answer is yes. The World Cup is the biggest and best show on earth. Even the World T20 doesn't compare, let alone a bilateral series against India A. Its like a man at the alter on his wedding day saying "if only I'd gone to the prom with ____". The little bitty stuff deserves zero effs in the grand scheme of the World Cup.

#OneTeam1Dream

Old March 10, 2015, 06:45 PM
Cricket Legend

It will have been worth it if we can beat NZ in our last group match and defeat India in the quarters.
Old March 10, 2015, 06:48 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

I'm reluctant to choose either options. The fact that this team is playing in unison depends on a lot of factors. Most of these players in the team have been playing international cricket for nearly ten years now. There were always the hint of potential on 2014. Having Sri Lanka on their heels at 60-something for a basket of wickets and allowing them to win it. And the infamous One-Hit Wonder called Bunny. Those two moments are forever embedded in my mind. But let's not run away from the fact that Bangladesh is capable of high periods and low periods. What is needed from them is their consistency. And not being Complacent.
Old March 10, 2015, 07:18 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul Haque

I will not put much blame on the players. It was more because of the inept management, poor coaching stuff and atrocious team selection.
Old March 10, 2015, 08:08 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mahmudullah Riyad

I hate Stuart Binny, I hate he scored wickets with his medium pace wobblers and I hate he scored a Hot wife with his average looks.

Last edited by Nafi; March 12, 2015 at 05:25 PM..
Old March 10, 2015, 08:35 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

The turn around was amazing to see. I also dreaded the prospect of playing in Australia while we were losing games at home, that were impossible to lose. I am glad we have Hathuru, Heath Streak and Mashrafi. I am glad Mushy gave up the captaincy. I am glad we had that series vs Zimbabwe
Old March 10, 2015, 08:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Di Caprio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubho
It will have been worth it if we can beat NZ in our last group match and defeat India in the quarters.
if we win against nz, we not gonna face india in quarters

Now I don't know anymore, jekono kichu hoite pare....Someone is watching over us this world cup
Old March 10, 2015, 08:54 PM

Favorite Player: Shakib, Brian Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
Someone is watching over us this world cup
Shujon says u r welcome
Old March 10, 2015, 09:34 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDumb
if we win against nz, we not gonna face india in quarters

Now I don't know anymore, jekono kichu hoite pare....Someone is watching over us this world cup
Point well made!

But seriously, I'm willing to forgive and forget 2014 if we can win the next two matches. Beat NZ and whomever we face in the quarter final.
Old March 11, 2015, 05:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Stuart Binny match still haunts me..
Old March 11, 2015, 05:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Bangladesh Team

I'm not yet sure that those days are gone for ever. We have organizers, management and the whimsical players, who are more than capable of reaching ne lows, when you expect the least.

Had similar high hopes after 2007, but BCB became arrogant, didn't keep the coaches, appointed assoles, started dictating things which were not there job, large group defected to ICL, someone publicly announced and backed us as a two member team and bullied the players to follow some rubish team rules...we were destroyed as a team....

we struggled in last WorldCup2011 and the struggle continued till 2014 when we reached new lows in the process of unlearning all th wrong things we were forced to learn and then learn all the right things afresh. Mash's captaincy came at the right time to lift up the team and regain that fighting spirit and belief that we once had upto 2007 WC.

Looks like we are back and pretty strongly back...but would like to give it some more time and a few more series after WorldCup to be sure that we aren't going backward once again. BCB & The Pkayers need to keep doing the right things for some more time for this to last longer.
Old March 11, 2015, 06:24 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Kagisoooo & Saif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANFAN
I'm not yet sure that those days are gone for ever. We have organizers, management and the whimsical players, who are more than capable of reaching ne lows, when you expect the least.

Had similar high hopes after 2007, but BCB became arrogant, didn't keep the coaches, appointed assoles, started dictating things which were not there job, large group defected to ICL, someone publicly announced and backed us as a two member team and bullied the players to follow some rubish team rules...we were destroyed as a team....

we struggled in last WorldCup2011 and the struggle continued till 2014 when we reached new lows in the process of unlearning all th wrong things we were forced to learn and then learn all the right things afresh. Mash's captaincy came at the right time to lift up the team and regain that fighting spirit and belief that we once had upto 2007 WC.

Looks like we are back and pretty strongly back...but would like to give it some more time and a few more series after WorldCup to be sure that we aren't going backward once again. BCB & The Pkayers need to keep doing the right things for some more time for this to last longer.
You also forgot to mention the influence of haturi and streak.
Old March 11, 2015, 06:59 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
BC - Bangladesh Representative

Favorite Player: Father of BD Cricket

Verily, in the remembrance of Allah do hearts find rest [Al-Qur'an,13:28]
Old March 11, 2015, 08:23 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

No it wasn't worth it. 2014 was too painful. A single win (afg/scotland should not count as big wins) doesn't compensate for a year of pain and heartaches.

We haven't won the WC yet. Just made it to QF. Pak and WI played terrible cricket most of the times this WC and still made to QF. If we make it to semis only then it might be even.