facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

 
 


Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old March 17, 2015, 02:30 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 6,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_friend_13
Considering I was raised in Mumbai, I can definitely tell you that I did start playing cricket at the age of 5 and I didn't really like diving around on concrete grounds, ya know. Cricket is still pretty new in Bangladesh comparatively and hardly anyone plays the game (Lived in Dhaka for 3 months and travelled extensively around BD) Fielding skills might not take a lot of time to develop but athleticism cannot be taught. Period.
what you mean by hardly anyone ever plays the game in Bangladesh? It might not be that visible in Dhaka (due to lack of open spaces) but it is played in whatever tiny space are out there and also throughout the country. Cricket has passed that "new phase" in Bangladesh. From the mid-90s it has been the major sport of our country and so 20 years is a long time (not comparing to 100+ in UK/Aus or 50+ years in India). WC football will have a craze every 4 years and the EPL/Champions League following will come in 2nd but its mostly for privileged urban kids.
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote

  #27  
Old March 17, 2015, 02:45 PM
be_friend_13 be_friend_13 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 17, 2005
Location: San Diego
Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Jonty Rhodes
Posts: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
what you mean by hardly anyone ever plays the game in Bangladesh? It might not be that visible in Dhaka (due to lack of open spaces) but it is played in whatever tiny space are out there and also throughout the country. Cricket has passed that "new phase" in Bangladesh. From the mid-90s it has been the major sport of our country and so 20 years is a long time (not comparing to 100+ in UK/Aus or 50+ years in India). WC football will have a craze every 4 years and the EPL/Champions League following will come in 2nd but its mostly for privileged urban kids.
Just what I noticed during my stay. I stayed VERY close to the Mirpur stadium and football definitely seemed WAY more popular in Dhaka. I agree, a lil cricket but football still WAY more popular. I also used to visit Maer Achol Shelter near the water tank to play with those kids, I once asked everyone what was their favorite sport and most of them said, Football.

In Bombay, we dont have a lot of open spaces either but we played cricket ALL weekend everywhere. Pretty much every neighborhood, every society, every colony has a mini-cricket league, which is non existent in BD with crazy gully cricket rules, one of them being: "Hit the ball higher than first floor and you are out"

In rural BD, Football, hands down is the MOST popular, visited Rongpur and couple of other places I don't remember. Hardly saw a cricket bat but a football everywhere. My friend, an ex Japanese professional soccer player was pleasantly surprised, I was too and a lil disappointed as well because I wanted to show off my cricketing skills.

PS: I am not sure why do you think it is offensive when I claim it is not that popular. Not that football is bad
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old March 17, 2015, 02:56 PM
mufi_02's Avatar
mufi_02 mufi_02 is offline
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team
 
Join Date: August 2, 2011
Location: NY
Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib
Posts: 6,978

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_friend_13
Just what I noticed during my stay. I stayed VERY close to the Mirpur stadium and football definitely seemed WAY more popular in Dhaka. I agree, a lil cricket but football still WAY more popular. I also used to visit Maer Achol Shelter near the water tank to play with those kids, I once asked everyone what was their favorite sport and most of them said, Football.

In Bombay, we dont have a lot of open spaces either but we played cricket ALL weekend everywhere. Pretty much every neighborhood, every society, every colony has a mini-cricket league, which is non existent in BD with crazy gully cricket rules, one of them being: "Hit the ball higher than first floor and you are out"

In rural BD, Football, hands down is the MOST popular, visited Rongpur and couple of other places I don't remember. Hardly saw a cricket bat but a football everywhere. My friend, an ex Japanese professional soccer player was pleasantly surprised, I was too and a lil disappointed as well because I wanted to show off my cricketing skills.

PS: I am not sure why do you think it is offensive when I claim it is not that popular. Not that football is bad
Haha I am not offended. My bad if it came out that way.

Football is easier to organize because all you need is just a ball and that's it. Street cricket requires few more things. In villages, unfortunately not everyone can afford a bat but uses a make-shift bat of sorts. I would blame the lazy urban kids today to not play any sport but spend all day in facebook/twitter. When we were young, we would find any nook and cranny (almost literally) to play

Mumbai has this sort of historic cricket culture. I think you guys call it 'maidans' (or maybe Delhi) and there are many stories surrounding them. Dhaka might not be there yet but it still has a huge street cricket culture.

P.S. I take pride in it because I was the Mahmudullah Charles Tendulkar of street cricket ..or that's what I say nowadays in my old age.
__________________
Bangladesh
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old March 17, 2015, 03:06 PM
be_friend_13 be_friend_13 is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: July 17, 2005
Location: San Diego
Favorite Player: Tendulkar & Jonty Rhodes
Posts: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
Haha I am not offended. My bad if it came out that way.

Football is easier to organize because all you need is just a ball and that's it. Street cricket requires few more things. In villages, unfortunately not everyone can afford a bat but uses a make-shift bat of sorts. I would blame the lazy urban kids today to not play any sport but spend all day in facebook/twitter. When we were young, we would find any nook and cranny (almost literally) to play

Mumbai has this sort of historic cricket culture. I think you guys call it 'maidans' (or maybe Delhi) and there are many stories surrounding them. Dhaka might not be there yet but it still has a huge street cricket culture.

P.S. I take pride in it because I was the Mahmudullah Charles Tendulkar of street cricket ..or that's what I say nowadays in my old age.
Thats awesome. Too bad Mr. MCT I didn't know you when I visited BD in 2013. I will be back soon though coz I am good friends with so many Bengalis (from BD)

Also, I agree we have a lot of very good stars native to the city that we look up to. So many but the truth is not everyone plays in maidens. Most of us play in our respective societies (with home & away series )
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old March 18, 2015, 08:32 AM
the_realist the_realist is offline
First Class Cricketer
 
Join Date: March 7, 2015
Posts: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by be_friend_13
Considering I was raised in Bombay, I can definitely tell you that I did start playing cricket at the age of 5 and I didn't really like diving around on concrete grounds, ya know. Cricket is still pretty new in Bangladesh comparatively and hardly anyone plays the game (Lived in Dhaka for 3 months and travelled extensively around BD) Fielding skills might not take a lot of time to develop but athleticism cannot be taught. Period.

And stay classy, my friend.
Okay, I might have been wrong by claiming "pre-teen", but I remember when I was at school kids used to play inter-school cricket at the age of 13-14. Now, school cricket is played normally played quite properly with grassy grounds, with proper cricket balls. Now, I might be inexperienced or ignorant, but aren't these kids the ones who later play for the national team? Now, if they are indeed the ones, they are clearly already playing in proper grounds from early teen years, what's preventing them from learning to dive?

Moreover, I'm not sure just the lack of space is the issue. I think it's more of a south Asian cultural thing. You see Pakistan, they have the worst fielding side. But Pakistan has way more space than we Bangladeshis can ever imagine, their land is 5 times bigger than ours. Yes, I know they might have lots of deserts, but still provinces like Punjab are not as crowded as our country is. Despite having such space, what prevents them from having a proper fielding side? I think it's the lack of work ethic we have culturally that's behind our poor fielding side.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:47 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
BanglaCricket.com
 

About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Partner Sites | Useful Links | Banners |

© BanglaCricket