facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 3, 2015, 10:51 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I have. Several times. And many more times would listen to BBC or Akash bani Kolkata - (cricinfo of that time).

To give you a picture of that time; these are the greats of his time:

Desmond Haynes Avg... 41.37 SR... 63.09 - 17
Javed Miandad Avg... 41.70 SR... 67.01 - 8
Alan Border Avg... 30.62 SR... 71.42 - 3
Gordon Greenidge Avg... 45.03 SR... 64.92 - 11
Graham Gooch Avg... 36.98 SR... 61.88 - 8
John Wright Avg... 26.46 SR... 57.18 - 1
Imran Khan Avg... 33.41 SR... 72.65 - 1
Dillip Vengsarkar Avg... 34.73 SR... 67.73 - 1
David Gower Avg... 30.77 SR... 75.15 - 7
Sunil Gavaskar Avg... 35.13 SR... 62.26 - 1

Averaging close to 40 and SR of 70+ you are an elite for that era.

Viv Richards Avg... 47.00 and SR... 90.20 - 11.

This alone should tell everyone that this comparison is not worthy.
++++
Virat Kohli:
Is he above by that much among players of his era? Why his era? Because they play by the same rules.

Amla has similar stats.
AB De Villiers have better stats.

To compare someone with Viv, he has to be head and shoulders above than others in his era first. That is why I mentioned Sobers and Bradman only in my first post.

So instead of Kohli vs Viv it should be Kohli vs AB/Alma first and the jury is still out there. And then there is an alien named as Chris Gayle.
Cool bro. Good analysis. Point conceded Viv is much greater batsman than kohli(as of now).

I don't rate Chris Gayle he looks amazing when hitting but never gets going often. ABD is the best bat at the moment, Kohli and Amla are close seconds.

Old March 3, 2015, 11:15 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: MS.Dhoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanCricFan
The only weakness Viv had was his passion for demolishing the opposition attack -with a smile. Bradman probably was the boss of the longer version. But, Viv Richards, my friend, was the King of ODIs. No comparison needed, everyone is compared to him. That's why I dubbed him as the Complete ODI batsman in my previous post.
Come on friend, unless you are the man himself(Viv) you wouldn't know that for sure.

While I agree that Viv is great and best ODI batsman of his era and better than Kohli(based on excellent analysis by Tigers_eye). Viv, if he played now, would have been found out (still could be better than most, if not all). Do you know why? It's because of the modern broadcasting technology. Every batsman and bowler are getting over analyzed now that even a kid with 2G internet or portable TV can find the weaknesses of any batsman or bowler. So I totally believe that comparing batsmen of 2 different era does not give the whole picture.

Any takers for W. G. Grace vs Viv Richards ?
Old March 3, 2015, 02:47 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: Taskin, Rubel, Abul

Why can we just not be honest and sporting enough to admit and acknowledge that he indeed was a true all time great? I really don't understand this need for inventing a reason to cast doubts on his unquestionable abilities which have been reconfirmed again and again by some of the true greats ever to play this sports!

If we must talk about getting "found out" and modern media coverage then why Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting, Inzamam, Dravid, Kallis, Amla, AbdeV, Sangakara or Wasim, Waqar, Johnson, Steyn did not or do not get "found out"? They are certainly not from the stone age. I tell you why: these are/were some of the best ever to play cricket. They have God given talent and most of them have worked on it. There is very little reason/weakness to get "found out". That's why they have been successful over a long time in all conditions.
Old March 3, 2015, 06:28 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigers_eye
I have. Several times. And many more times would listen to BBC or Akash bani Kolkata - (cricinfo of that time).

To give you a picture of that time; these are the greats of his time:

Desmond Haynes Avg... 41.37 SR... 63.09 - 17
Javed Miandad Avg... 41.70 SR... 67.01 - 8
Alan Border Avg... 30.62 SR... 71.42 - 3
Gordon Greenidge Avg... 45.03 SR... 64.92 - 11
Graham Gooch Avg... 36.98 SR... 61.88 - 8
John Wright Avg... 26.46 SR... 57.18 - 1
Imran Khan Avg... 33.41 SR... 72.65 - 1
Dillip Vengsarkar Avg... 34.73 SR... 67.73 - 1
David Gower Avg... 30.77 SR... 75.15 - 7
Sunil Gavaskar Avg... 35.13 SR... 62.26 - 1

Averaging close to 40 and SR of 70+ you are an elite for that era.

Viv Richards Avg... 47.00 and SR... 90.20 - 11.

This alone should tell everyone that this comparison is not worthy.
++++
Zaheer Abbas Avg...47.72 SR...84.80..7 Centuries

That's the one that's not in the list and the one that comes closest to Viv.
Wonder why he doesn't get as much recognition as others? maybe because he played most of his matches in SC conditions where runs are always easier to score?
Old March 4, 2015, 11:34 AM

Speaking of Viv,

My Favourite Innings Part One: Viv’s Masterclass
by Mark Nicholas

http://www.alloutcricket.com/cricket...vs-masterclass

Quote:
Viv Richards, 164*
Hampshire v Glamorgan, Southampton, June 16-18, 1990

Swansea. Marshall to Richards. It was still Marshall to Richards. Malcolm 
runs in and Viv pulls away at the very
last moment. There’s a hush. On the
 field we’re all looking at each other. No one dares say anything. “Hey!” screams Viv, now marching down the pitch, past Marshall and on, past the umpire. “YOU!” Nothing. “That’s YOU!” Now Viv’s pointing to a dot by the sightscreen, to a man, sitting on his own, flicking through the pages of his newspaper. “That’s right! YOU!” The man looks up, a little startled, points to himself quizzically. “Yes YOU!!! You’ve got David Gower and Robin Smith at slip! You’ve got Malcolm Marshall, the greatest fast bowler in the world, bowling to Vivian Richards… And you reading the f**king newspaper?”
Old March 10, 2015, 09:26 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

Read here what a jury of 50 eminent players, commentators and writers assembled by the Cricket Monthly think about Viv:
http://www.thecricketmonthly.com/sto...still-the-king
Old March 10, 2015, 09:55 PM
BC Editorial Team

For cricketing reasons alone Viv is heads and shoulders above Virat.
Ton conversion is overrated given the batting friendly times we live in. It's like the steroid induced home-run races of the last 10 years in Baseball.
Viv typified aggression. All those batters who try to intimidate bowlers take their genesis from Viv.
Viv had amazing reflexes. Ask Holding, Garner or Roberts what it was like bowling to Viv in the nets. He would sometimes bat without pads (or was it Sobers?)
Viv bowled more than handy off-spin
Viv pouched catches like they were nothing
Viv scored runs against arguably better bowlers. Of the bowling Kohli faces, who would you rate as a Great? Anderson, Steyn and that's about it. As someone else posted Viv faced the Lilles, Bothams, Imrans, etc.
Viv scored his runs in days of uncovered pitches, without all the sports science/nutrion etc that players get these days.
And not for nothing, when Viv came to bat, neutrals and opponent fans would all have a sense of anticipation. When Kohli walks in, India fans are excited. Neutrals are probably wondering when is he going to mouth off against someone or give 'em the bird.

No contest.
Old March 10, 2015, 11:50 PM
Street Cricketer

Kohli is a phenomenal batsman. I think he'll be rated among the greats by the time he finishes. He's not superhigh on natural talent but his work ethic is unbelievable. And he'll never be as good as Sachin. And even at his best, Sachin wasnt as good as Viv. Look up the match played on May 31 1984. He took west indies from 166/9 to 278/9. A last wicket partnership of 112 out of which Holding made 8. The King made 189*. And the best part was he didnt even care about centuries, unlike the current generation of batsmen who are obsessed by them(especially Kohli) In fact in that WI team, if you slowed down for landmarks, you probably would never play again. The mindset was different. PS:- Viv Richards didnt hit bowlers, he destroyed careers. Ask Lenny Pascoe. He bowled a bouncer at Richards. His next 8 deliveries went for 4. Wasim Akram has clearly stated he's never ever been more frightened to bowl. Theres a great story he tells about how he was getting whacked by Viv and looked across at Imran who told told him "Doesnt matter. This happens to everyone." best ODI batsman- no contest. I'd say that bar Bradman and Sobers, theres never even been a better Test batsman.
Old March 11, 2015, 12:27 AM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Didn't see Viv live. Different era, different comparison. So I say, Zeeshan.
Old March 11, 2015, 03:37 PM
Cricket Sage

What the point of comparing starts of different generations?

before the upcoming semi-final we should compare mano vs mano

Who is better? Mahmudullah or Kohli?
Old March 11, 2015, 04:03 PM
Street Cricketer

richards for sure
Old March 26, 2015, 12:22 PM
Cricket Sage

Hmmmm... kothin question.

... not really
Old March 26, 2015, 12:51 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

This kind of thread should never exist? Are you serious? Comparing Kohli to Viv? Viv is the greatest ODI player to have walked the cricket field. Kohli is not even close. Heck Kohli is not even close to Tendulkar. Let alone King Viv. Its like comparing Mominul to Bradman