facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old March 30, 2015, 08:53 PM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
I was a casual EPL fan. It wasn't that big in Dhaka when we were in school as it is now. So I watched the big games but was never a die-hard Man U or Chelsea etc. fan.

cricket lost some enigma because of over-scheduling and too many meaningless bilateral series. it used to be one big WC every four years. Now you have IPL, BBL, T20 wc every two years and then champions trophy on top of 10 ind-sl bilateral series. so it's hard to be interested for that long.

but I don't agree that cricket lacks variety. in fact it is so full of external variables.
--pitch
--condition
--climate
--captaincy
--toss
--format

change any of the factors and suddenly one favorite will become underdog. in football/basketball/baseball, toss/climate/pitch/condition/captaincy plays very small to no part.
Well, I have been following United since 1997, their SHARP jersey was just too glorious and too beautiful for a little kid like me to ignore, lol.

Yeah, in cricket, the captain may have to think a lot, but in football, the manager has to think harder, almost as hard as chess. The most beautiful thing about football is that it apparently seems so simple yet it's intimately so complex. Players like Xavi makes things like passing and moving so simple, but in reality it's so intricate and complex. Almost every move in football requires some level of imagination, more so than any other sport. At least that's what my view is.

Old March 30, 2015, 10:09 PM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mominul, Nasir, Taskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zunaid
I've attended every international national team match in the 80s until I left the country in 1990. During those times we used to be beaten by teams like PNG and Bermuda and the Dutch were a bridge too far. It has nothing to do with them doing well or not. Doing well is, of course, my reward for being with them through thick and thin.
And the Bhindian-Faakistani (double entendre as the Sylheti pronounciation of all Ps is as Fs...poila becomes foila) nexus of rapists along with their duped Bangla puppets think we haven't improved and Afghanistan deserve Test status more.

#OneTeam1Dream

Last edited by al Furqaan; March 31, 2015 at 12:43 AM..
Old March 30, 2015, 10:15 PM
Club Cricketer

Donot know. AMi cricket follow kori 1988 theke, 27 yrs hoye gelo. tokhon BD te darun football craze. Ami obosso football o dekhi, brazil and barca. 1996 er India Vs England er henry blowfeld radio commentary ekhono kane baje, Mumali to Ganguli. Ekhon obosso BD er khela r Australia te howa khela chara dekhi na, kintu paper e ekhono jehetu khelar pata age khuli, so sob news e jani.
Old March 31, 2015, 12:30 AM
BC Editorial Team

You come to a cricketing fan site. Of the team that is alleged to have the most loyal fans in the world. Fans who have witnessed Jason bleepin Gillespie score a double hundred, who have seen Sri Lanka retire out 3 batsman in one innings, who have seen their team choke against Windies (58) and Zimbabwe (Taylor with his 3 6s off Mash). Fans who have active threads on non-BD tours and matches. And you ask them, do you ONLY follow cricket because BECAUSE BANGLADESH IS DOING WELL? Bhai, what next? You'll go to a Sylhoti gathering in Lonthon and ask: "bhais, do you only speak Sylhoti because our chefs are so good?"

Sorry couldn't resist ....

And yes, I'm a die-hard cricket fan. Watched it when BD were shite (I mean more so than now) and stay up late to watch Test matches involving other matches. Moreover, waste whole weekend days out in the sun injuring myself. So kinda sorta stuck with it.
Old March 31, 2015, 12:58 AM

Favorite Player: Mash, Riyad, Tamim

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_realist
Vai, I don't know how old you are, but trust me, our present team is wayyyy better than what we had in 2003. OMG! It was such a shame, the way they used to play cricket at the the time. Even Canada hammered us in that world cup. We needed 5 years to win another ODI after amazingly beating Pakistan in WC99. For 5 years, the "kathaa-balish" of our "maan-ijjot" used to be taken every now and then by minnows like Kenya and whatnot.
bhai I agree I am not that old... but I was there in 2003. I dont know if we are wayyyy better than 03. We just lost to Hong Kong last year.. the point is regardless of how bad or good our team has been.. we managed to stick around with the sport with the majority around the country hyping over soccer.
Old March 31, 2015, 01:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib, Amla

I used to watch all teams growing up. After Bangladesh became good, interestingly, I lost interest in other teams and mainly watch Bangladesh these days. After our loss in the WC I watched only one QF and one SF, didn't even watch the final. Timing was a factor being in EST but this was unthinkable for me 15 years ago.

I was a big soccer fan myself until I got introduced to American Football and Basketball, which are far superior and exciting in every aspect. The only soccer I watch now is during WC. Biggest issue with the sport is you can be the better team throughout the match and still draw or lose. Same cannot be said about the other major sports. Even in our early days of cricket when we pulled an upset win against the big dogs everyone would agree we're the better team on that day.
Old March 31, 2015, 04:08 AM

Favorite Player: Mash

used to watch almost every match back in the late 90s and early 2000s..now only watch matches involving BD
Old March 31, 2015, 05:50 AM
Test Cricketer

Of course not.
Old March 31, 2015, 06:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman

I was a big soccer fan myself until I got introduced to American Football and Basketball, which are far superior and exciting in every aspect. The only soccer I watch now is during WC. Biggest issue with the sport is you can be the better team throughout the match and still draw or lose. Same cannot be said about the other major sports. Even in our early days of cricket when we pulled an upset win against the big dogs everyone would agree we're the better team on that day.
That's actually the best thing about football, it's so gloriously uncertain, even a moment of blip or magic can change the course of the match and the result. But I guess you have a different perspective.

Those sports you mentioned will never gain nearly as much popularity because none of them are as simple and universal as football is.
Old March 31, 2015, 06:57 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib,Ganguly,Vettori,

Loosing interest in sports in general. But I'd still be generally informed about cricketing world regardless of how Bangladesh plays. But the red hot passion has long since cooled.
Old March 31, 2015, 09:17 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
Well, I have been following United since 1997, their SHARP jersey was just too glorious and too beautiful for a little kid like me to ignore, lol.

Yeah, in cricket, the captain may have to think a lot, but in football, the manager has to think harder, almost as hard as chess. The most beautiful thing about football is that it apparently seems so simple yet it's intimately so complex. Players like Xavi makes things like passing and moving so simple, but in reality it's so intricate and complex. Almost every move in football requires some level of imagination, more so than any other sport. At least that's what my view is.
so you are a big time Man U fan. now would you watch EPL closely if somehow Man U gets relegated? honestly answer, would you still follow football as passionately as now if Man U stops playing?
Old March 31, 2015, 09:43 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mufi_02
so you are a big time Man U fan. now would you watch EPL closely if somehow Man U gets relegated? honestly answer, would you still follow football as passionately as now if Man U stops playing?
I don't think I will watch EPL much, but I will keep following United and watch football in general. Apart from United, I don't have any fixation towards EPL. Then I think I might watch other football leagues more, of course you have UCL to watch.
Old March 31, 2015, 10:15 AM
BanglaCricket Staff
Editorial Team

Favorite Player: Lara, Shakib

Quote:
I don't think I will watch EPL much, but I will keep following United and watch football in general. Apart from United, I don't have any fixation towards EPL. Then I think I might watch other football leagues more, of course you have UCL to watch.
that's the rationale. take your favorite team out of the sport and suddenly the interest level drops. you will still watch the big games because you have an appreciation for the sport but that passion won't be there. sooner or later that will fade away too.
Old March 31, 2015, 02:53 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Rohit Sharma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
You come to a cricketing fan site. Of the team that is alleged to have the most loyal fans in the world. Fans who have witnessed Jason bleepin Gillespie score a double hundred, who have seen Sri Lanka retire out 3 batsman in one innings, who have seen their team choke against Windies (58) and Zimbabwe (Taylor with his 3 6s off Mash). Fans who have active threads on non-BD tours and matches. And you ask them, do you ONLY follow cricket because BECAUSE BANGLADESH IS DOING WELL? Bhai, what next? You'll go to a Sylhoti gathering in Lonthon and ask: "bhais, do you only speak Sylhoti because our chefs are so good?"

Sorry couldn't resist ....

And yes, I'm a die-hard cricket fan. Watched it when BD were shite (I mean more so than now) and stay up late to watch Test matches involving other matches. Moreover, waste whole weekend days out in the sun injuring myself. So kinda sorta stuck with it.
thicki ase....erokomoii (not origami) dewar dorkar chilo ekta
Old April 1, 2015, 03:36 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: TaMotu, GoBoy, Mashrafe

The best part of cricket is watching fast bowling in slow motion. Nothing beats that.
Old April 1, 2015, 05:08 AM
Cricket Guru
T20 WC 2010 Fantasy Winner

Favorite Player: ABD / Kalam / Musta

Yes ... I would still watch cricket in general just like now ....
I watch cricket and football regularly ... they are my entertainment .. I'm not a big Movie / Natok etc fan ... would it be weird if I say in last weekend I watched Italy - Bulgaria (2-2) Euro football qualifier .. the Dutch - Turkish (1-1) match was way more interesting though! LOL
Old April 1, 2015, 05:50 PM
Cricket Legend

For people who followed cricket/bangladesh cricket before our test status; I can't even imagine how you guys felt when we got the test status. And the 58 was the worst day ever but still following these clowns. Although, they are clowns. They still represent Bangladesh, and this nationhood is what brings us all together.
Old April 2, 2015, 10:27 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
For people who followed cricket/bangladesh cricket before our test status; I can't even imagine how you guys felt when we got the test status. And the 58 was the worst day ever but still following these clowns. Although, they are clowns. They still represent Bangladesh, and this nationhood is what brings us all together.
Not great, I never agreed with Bangladesh getting test status so soon. Even then we used to be hammered regular by Kenya, how on earth we were offered test status then? We had to go through a lot of humiliation because of getting test status so soon. I think it should have 10 year later.
Old April 2, 2015, 12:32 PM
BC Editorial Team

Test Status is not just about ability. It's also about opportunity. Look at Ireland - they have the ability but no dice. India when they got Test status used to lose even worse than we did. So all this talk about premature Test Status needs to stop. We got it because the political and sports landscape was right for it and we needed that boost for our cricket.
Old April 2, 2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator
BanglaCricket Development

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Mortaza

Quote:
I think it should have 10 year later.
Its a chicken and egg problem. If it was 10 years later, then this world cup would have seen 2003 version of our performance

Only reason we had money to invest in the long term (although inadequate) is due to getting test status. Without funding there would be no High Performance Team, no McInnes, no mushy, shakib etc. It takes a generation to get fruits of long term decisions. Test status of Bangladesh in 2000 was the right decision.
They said, "After we turn into bones and fragments, we get resurrected anew?!" Say, "Even if you turn into rocks or iron.[17:49-50] |Wiki: Cold Fusion occurring via quatum tunnelling in ~101500 years makes everything into iron.
Old April 2, 2015, 09:21 PM
Banned

Favorite Player: The Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasif
Its a chicken and egg problem. If it was 10 years later, then this world cup would have seen 2003 version of our performance

Only reason we had money to invest in the long term (although inadequate) is due to getting test status. Without funding there would be no High Performance Team, no McInnes, no mushy, shakib etc. It takes a generation to get fruits of long term decisions. Test status of Bangladesh in 2000 was the right decision.
Totally agree. We did all what we have to. We had everything else in place. Crowds, sponsors, infrastructure, a competitive domestic league. We just had to prove our dominance and show our capability of competing which we did. In 1997, we won the ICC Trophy, and then came the 1999 WC wehre we defeated scotland in their own backyard and the eventual runners-up Pakistan. So all criteria was really met. Whereas for Ireland, I am sure if they had a crazy cricket public, as well as that cricket culture, they would've got it by now. Don't forget, our cricket culture has been very rich. BNS hosted tests even before our independence. So there you have it. 2000 indeed the perfect time. Couldn't have been more ideal than at the turn of a new millenium.
Old April 3, 2015, 05:34 AM
First Class Cricketer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace of BD
Totally agree. We did all what we have to. We had everything else in place. Crowds, sponsors, infrastructure, a competitive domestic league. We just had to prove our dominance and show our capability of competing which we did. In 1997, we won the ICC Trophy, and then came the 1999 WC wehre we defeated scotland in their own backyard and the eventual runners-up Pakistan. So all criteria was really met. Whereas for Ireland, I am sure if they had a crazy cricket public, as well as that cricket culture, they would've got it by now. Don't forget, our cricket culture has been very rich. BNS hosted tests even before our independence. So there you have it. 2000 indeed the perfect time. Couldn't have been more ideal than at the turn of a new millenium.
lol...we have anything but the infrastructure or competitive domestic league...until Bangladesh makes a holistic development in the next decade or so, I doubt we will have a proper domestic league.
Old April 3, 2015, 11:53 PM
Street Cricketer

Quote:

You like watching infinite passes that majority of the times do not produce a goal? and call Cricket boring.
what imagination, fun, complexity do you find in a 0-0 draw where nothing happened in whole 90 minutes? the ball just keeps on getting passed from one end to another without any ups and downs.