facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 6, 2005, 03:30 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib
Default rafiq the new ball bowler

As we have seen in the Test series all our pace bowlers barring mashrafee have been completely ineffective even in the seaming English conditions. I do not know if this is due to inexperience or lack of ability but if this is anything to go by our pacers will be put to the sword in the Natwest series too.
I was thinking how about using our two best bowlers Mashrafee and Rafiq as opening bowlers. Rafiq is not a big spinner of the ball and depends more on arm balls and accuracy. I am pretty sure he would have good control using the new ball. Bowlers like Mahmud,Tapash and Nazmul can bowl in in the middle overs when there are no field restrictions. plus, this surprise factor can catch our opponents unawares and they would also have to change their tactics. remember deepak patil?I know it is quite an unrealistic solution and one that would probably not be applied. but I just thought it was one option that we could think about to bolster our 'toothless' bowling attack. what do u think?

Old June 6, 2005, 03:33 PM
Cricket Sage

A perfect recipe for disaster. No spinners in 15 overs please.
Old June 6, 2005, 03:35 PM
Cricket Legend

D Patil opened bowling in slow NZ pitches. But you can mention Warne opening for Hampshire, can't remember what kind of success he had that season though.
Old June 6, 2005, 03:45 PM
Test Cricketer

Rather sending as an opening bowler, I would prefer Rafique as a opening batsman.

Edited on, June 6, 2005, 8:48 PM GMT, by sadhat.
Old June 6, 2005, 03:48 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Great idea ..... why only Rafique Try Manjarul from the other end too .....sorry just kidding ......
Old June 6, 2005, 04:18 PM
First Class Cricketer

I was very disappointed with Rafique's bowling in this series. He really doesn't turn the ball much.
Old June 6, 2005, 07:56 PM
Test Cricketer

hmm. well. doesnt sound like a good idea at all. Rafiq will be hit in almost every balls. Moreover. It will be a waste of the new ball and its shine.
Old June 6, 2005, 08:03 PM
ODI Cricketer

Here is the order BD should open their bowling:
1. Manjurul Islam Rana :bald:
2. Md Rafique :bald:
3. Aftab Ahmed :bald:
4. Khaled Mahmud :bald:
5. Tapash Baisya :bald:
6. Mashrafe Mortaza :bald:

you should reverse the order....
Old June 6, 2005, 08:20 PM
Cricket Legend

i support this idea. wont be a bad idea with mash and rana as well. infact rana is a better option because he bowls flatter. using tapash as first change will be good as well with aftab.

however we dont need shujon. we need to find the 6th bowler from somewhere. any occasional spinner will do a better job than the so called pacers we have.

mash, rana, tapash, aftab, rafiq
parttime: rajin/ashraful

bd dont need 5 regular bowlers ,and absolutely no need for 3rd regular pacer, they are going to be hit anyway. we need to strengthen the batting on the other hand.
Old June 6, 2005, 11:24 PM
Cricket Legend

I think Rana can be tried within first 15 overs if he plays instead of Sujon.
Old June 7, 2005, 12:08 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Don't want to jinx anyone

Rafique could be a first change bowler, but opening.... I don't think he's good enough.
Old June 7, 2005, 10:01 AM
Cricket Sage

yea ... now I started liking the idea..

Start Rafique and Rana as Starting bowler let mashrafee do the wicketkeeping, let pilot take rest so that he can concentrate on his batting only. After Rafique's alloted 10 overs he can give mashrafee a break with wicket keeping. Let ChaCha and nazmul open the innings with the bat.

And let confuse everybody....

That will be great

Edited on, June 7, 2005, 6:02 PM GMT, by Fazal.
Old June 7, 2005, 01:09 PM
Cricket Legend

Rafiq did well when he opened batting in couple of occassions, but how he will do against English and Aussie pace attack, it's difficult to say. But out of 6 matches we can try him in one of them against Australia.
Old June 7, 2005, 02:11 PM
Bangla amar Maa
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Rafiq did well when he opened batting in couple of occassions, but how he will do against English and Aussie pace attack, it's difficult to say. But out of 6 matches we can try him in one of them against Australia.
Don't worry ...they only will try him if required run rate to high from the beginning .......... Every other team in the world did so , we gonna do the same too ..... A hard hitting batsman to open with ........ But now we have Aftab as well ........
Old June 8, 2005, 10:51 AM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib

if you thought my idea of trying out rafique was ludicrous, putting rafique as an opening batsman is even more atrocious.This move guarantees 100% failure. Didn't u follow the ODI series against India where Rafique was all at sea against the new ball? That was in the placid pitches in Dhaka and Chittagong tailor made for batting. In the Natwest Series facing McGrath, Harmison and Co Rafique will not stand a chance ofsurviving. But talking of pinch hitters,putting in someone like Aftab or Ashraful might be well worth a gamble. Hey, why not try something innovative, we have nothing to lose anywayz.

Edited on, June 8, 2005, 3:59 PM GMT, by roaring tigerz.
Old June 8, 2005, 10:56 AM
ODI Cricketer

how about Mashrafe in the opening with Javed Omar.
Old June 8, 2005, 08:49 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by little_master
how about Mashrafe in the opening with Javed Omar.
jaihok,
mone hochhe kintu apni edaning aktu beshi cricket khela dekhen. apnar kintu aktu bisram dorkar. dhannabad.
Old June 9, 2005, 12:10 AM
Cricket Legend

what is this thread about?????
Old June 9, 2005, 12:41 AM
First BC Member

Favorite Player: A successful cricketer

We have to fix our bowling line up first. Everybody has to try to bowl as economical as possible.

If our pace bowlers are hammered around, then somebody with Rafique's experience can come in and try to keep the run rate down.

However, like the rest of our bowling line up, Rafique did disappoint all of us - though he has never been a turner of the ball.
Old June 9, 2005, 01:01 AM
Street Cricketer

Rafiq opening the bowling makes some sense but not opening the batting (Mcgrath, Gillespie would just kill him, and we all know his weakness against short pitched bowling).
Old June 9, 2005, 05:11 AM
Street Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by Fazal
A perfect recipe for disaster. No spinners in 15 overs please.
I agree......... spinners in 1st 15 is not gonna help da cause. Only time I'd like to c Rafique b4 1st 15 is if Ponting comes out to bat.......... He has known to struggle against spinners at the start of his innings (whether or not Rafique has the class to trouble him is a different matter).

Judging by performace in recent tests, he shouldn't open the battingf either.... Leave JO and Nafees to dat.. although i would be tempted to use Ash as opener, and drop Nafees to no.3.
Old June 9, 2005, 07:28 AM
Cricket Legend

ok im not making any suggestions that rafique open the bowling (and he shudnt ether!!) but here is something that happened the other day...

in my cricket manager team i used my premier spinner (i won him through transfer the day b4!!) as an opening bowler and bowled them out for 42... mind u the 2 sides were evenly matched ...which isnt the case in pommiville!!!
Old June 9, 2005, 10:06 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by pros and cons
Rafiq opening the bowling makes some sense but not opening the batting (Mcgrath, Gillespie would just kill him, and we all know his weakness against short pitched bowling).
Our Chief Selecter has indicated that there will be no experimental upsets about the openers, and only genuine opening batsmen will be sent to open the innings.
Old June 9, 2005, 12:57 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Sam
Quote:
Originally posted by pros and cons
Our Chief Selecter has indicated that there will be no experimental upsets about the openers, and only genuine opening batsmen will be sent to open the innings.
whatever bd will be sent up are going to be dismissed cheaply. can you imagine a 50 run opening partnership by bd in any of these matches? so our so called "genuine" batsmen are not genuine at all. even bashar has poor footwork.

i would like to see aftab and javed as openers , nafis maybe at 4.