facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old February 29, 2016, 03:16 AM
Cricket Legend

Our T20 team needs an overhaul and it's starts with Mash's retirement. No he's not getting booted as some of you are saying he's still one of the smartest bowlers around even with the stress on his legs he manages to effectively use all the deliveries in his armory to good effect he was never a death end bowler and thats where he would leak most of his runs but his ability to outfox the batsmen using his (stunted) set of skills is something none of our bowlers bar Mustafiz and Al Amin can achieve. His captaincy is another factor all together we all know what he brings with that when he rejoiced with shak by hugging him yesterday sums it up really you wont see that anywhere else. He's a father like figure. With his retirement id like to see some other wholesale changes, Riyad should captain and Mushy if he fails in WC should get dropped from the side.

My T20 side post WT20:

Tamim
Anamul
Sabbir
Soumya
Shakib
Riyad
Saifuddin
Rony
Al Amin
Mustafiz
Taskin

Nasir
Jahurul
Sajib
Litton/Nurul

Old February 29, 2016, 04:47 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazabQ
And what my dear friend you don't seem to understand is no one, even living legends should be beyond constructive criticism. Steve Waugh was a living legend. He did not want to retire from ODIs. He even started bowling again. Aussie board said - sorry mate - you focus on Tests. We are not like India where Tendu was such a semi-deity that BCCI let him play on beyond his sell-by-date so he could get his 100th hundred (in a losing cause mind you). I suspect that, depending on your party affiliation, anything one says in criticism of Hasina or Khaleda also will be perceived by you as "hating on".
Comparing him with Tendulkar or Waugh's selfishness is what Im against. I did not call anyone hater. Constructive criticism is always welcome but tagging him useless and calling him a burden when he picked up wickets in all 3 matches is quite strange even considering bengali standard. Not to mention his captaincy. Indian cricket experts saw it, pakistanis saw it, srilankans praising him basically the whole world can see it but hey we know better than them paid experts right. I am sure we would have lost it last nigh if Mushy was still the captain.
Let me put it this way. All our mainstay batsmen went off form bar Sabbir and still struggling just like 2014. Many fear this year may well be a repeat of 2014. But I say no it wont be. Because we have Mash as the captain.
So criticise his performance as much as you want. As a fan and a well wisher of BD team that is your right. But if you are ignoring his contributions both as a captain and as a player I have the right to call out your biasness as well. No point playing the 'hate victim' card. That was weak from you
Old February 29, 2016, 05:32 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I am not sure how Mash is a liability. What has he done wrong in the UAE and Pakistan games? Did he keep the runs down? Did he get wickets? Did he marshal resources well as captain? I keep hearing he is not fit and he is reaching his end but i see he bowled 135 kph vs UAE and attemped 3 runs in the last ball against sri lanka. So how is it that we are so keen to write him off? Are we that eager to see Rony?
Exactly! I agree, he has been bowling actually quite well. And my word, look at his captaincy, he recognizes he is the not the frontline bowler so he delayed himself while bowling quite well. In these pitches Mash is very effective, he is checking runs and getting wickets regularly. So if you ask me does he walk into our team as a performer? I have to say yes.. And jadukor bhai he reached 140 in the India match, he has lost weight and the only thing I was worried about was hunger and presence of mind in captaincy... When he kept Mustafizur for the last 3 overs after 13 overs up his sleeve, he created a master stroke... I mean nobody in Bangladesh would have thought this except him... he is just incredible...

Mash is just starting to gel the T20 team, he has earned the respect of the whole of Bangladesh, please let's respect this guy... I am not going to ask him to worship him... he will reach a level where no Bangladeshi cricketer has ever been... legendary status... he needs to win an ICC trophy to make it count really though... otherwise as I said, all his good work may be reaped by someone else... and the next team formation might go on to win a major ICC event in the next 5 years and all the credit goes to someone like Mahmudullah when we all knew the architect.. hope Mash realizes this and aims high at T20 WC and Champions trophy, his last two race!
Old February 29, 2016, 07:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Shakib/Anamul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanvir_nus
Exactly! I agree, he has been bowling actually quite well. And my word, look at his captaincy, he recognizes he is the not the frontline bowler so he delayed himself while bowling quite well. In these pitches Mash is very effective, he is checking runs and getting wickets regularly. So if you ask me does he walk into our team as a performer? I have to say yes.. And jadukor bhai he reached 140 in the India match, he has lost weight and the only thing I was worried about was hunger and presence of mind in captaincy... When he kept Mustafizur for the last 3 overs after 13 overs up his sleeve, he created a master stroke... I mean nobody in Bangladesh would have thought this except him... he is just incredible...

Mash is just starting to gel the T20 team, he has earned the respect of the whole of Bangladesh, please let's respect this guy... I am not going to ask him to worship him... he will reach a level where no Bangladeshi cricketer has ever been... legendary status... he needs to win an ICC trophy to make it count really though... otherwise as I said, all his good work may be reaped by someone else... and the next team formation might go on to win a major ICC event in the next 5 years and all the credit goes to someone like Mahmudullah when we all knew the architect.. hope Mash realizes this and aims high at T20 WC and Champions trophy, his last two race!
But knowing the selfless person that Mash is he would be more than happy even if the next captain manages to win a major trophy, he will just see it as he managed to be a part of the legacy of that team.
Old February 29, 2016, 08:11 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadukor
I am not sure how Mash is a liability. What has he done wrong in the UAE and Pakistan games? Did he keep the runs down? Did he get wickets? Did he marshal resources well as captain? I keep hearing he is not fit and he is reaching his end but i see he bowled 135 kph vs UAE and attemped 3 runs in the last ball against sri lanka. So how is it that we are so keen to write him off? Are we that eager to see Rony?
yea i agree. Its not like he is underperforming. In fact he has been bowling well. Got Kohli out didn't he?
Old February 29, 2016, 09:02 AM
ODI Cricketer

Just a disclaimer, I love Mash, I have even asked my mom to buy his biography from boimela and mail it to me.

That being said, Sunil Gavaskar always used to say " you pick your best 11 and than you pick the captain from the 11" ... I believed in sunny's assessment , but now I think I am wrong. We will always have better players in future but I am not sure if we will ever have a better captain. Captains like Imran Khan, Steve Waugh Ganguly or Ranatunga are leaders in the true sense of the word. Mash falls in that category... they come once a generation and sometimes once few generations.
Old February 29, 2016, 09:13 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: David Warner

Quote:
Quote:
So people may now wonder what will be Mashrafe’s profession once he is retired from international cricket? Considering Mashrafe’s mentality, it’s not likely that he will keep playing in domestic or franchise-based cricket even after retiring from international cricket. In that case, Mashrafe may receive proposal from the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) to become either the manager or the bowling coach of the national team. But will Mashrafe take up such job? Question remains unanswered.
This
Old February 29, 2016, 12:25 PM
BC Editorial Team

Vepu - ok I shouldn't have played the "hate" card - it wasn't you who said "haters".
For the record, I do NOT knock Mash's contribution at all. I've been eagerly following this guy ever since the CI article which mentioned Andy Roberts had identified Mash and Talja has future 90mph bowlers. His captaincy is legen-wait-for-it-dary. Even now, he's putting in everything he's got to make a contribution. But the thing is, we need him to last till the Champions Trophy. He's more of a contributor the ODI 11. T20 is where you typically groom your next captain. For all those reasons, I welcome his decision to retire after the T20 WC.
Old March 1, 2016, 04:20 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I remember Habibul Bashar got overly emotional because Jamie Siddons called him "buira". Jamie was right - Bashar had totally lost the reflexes that made him our "Bangla Bradman" or "Mr. 50".

Jadukor and Tanvir - I agree that calling him a "passenger" is stating things too strongly but do consider that in most other countries the T20 squad typically does not contain senior players unless they are in prime health and having an exceptional season (like Hogg or Tate).
I highly doubt that he is not having an exceptional season. Under Bashar/Shakib/Mushfiq(this guys had almost the same team as mash) we barely got any win. Mash's captaincy is like no other previous bd captain.

Hell, if he was just standing on the field, and giving commands, i would take that over any of those other hacks who just gets angry or says "I quit" when the situation gets tough.

He maybe old, you may call him a "passanger" or "not in his prime" but this guy is the reason why we the fans are witnessing the rise of the tigers. He is doing the exact same thing Ganguly did for team IND back in the days. He is changing the brand of cricket our team plays. Filling his shoes will be a huge job which neither Shakib or Mushy can do!

FYI if you did watch the last match, Riad said no for the last run yet mash pushed him to take 3 and ran himself out. Gave it his all. After he won the match, he grabbed shakib (poor guy is out of form badly) and lifted his spirit aswell. It was all there in the open for all of us to see ... you must be looking at it with your eyes closed my friend.
Old March 1, 2016, 06:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Mashrafe Bin Mortaza

Mashrafe - best captain in BD history, PERIOD!

But guys this retirement, these criticisms he has had recently is regarding the T20 format. So need not panic. We hardly play much T20's anyway, he won't be missed much. But I doubt BCB will accept his retirement from T20 when we hardly play much, so he might as well stay on till CT 17, and finish both. Next World T20 is in 2020 if am not wrong? So yeah in this format, we have some time after 2016 WorldT20, to form a good T20 side with a new captain (Mahmudullah looks the favourite to me now). Ideally we need Mash the most for the ODI series ahead and next year, the CT '17 fit and strong and not worrying about T20 games where in short space of time lots can happen and put lot more stress on you than a 50 over game!

Whatever happens after the World T20 - Mashrafe Bin Mortaza will remain the best captain of BD LOI side in history of BD cricket, thus far (I know things change but he is the number 1 now)
Old March 1, 2016, 06:40 AM
Banned

Favorite Player: Anybody who plays for BD

Quote:
Vepu - ok I shouldn't have played the "hate" card - it wasn't you who said "haters".
For the record, I do NOT knock Mash's contribution at all. I've been eagerly following this guy ever since the CI article which mentioned Andy Roberts had identified Mash and Talja has future 90mph bowlers. His captaincy is legen-wait-for-it-dary. Even now, he's putting in everything he's got to make a contribution. But the thing is, we need him to last till the Champions Trophy. He's more of a contributor the ODI 11. T20 is where you typically groom your next captain. For all those reasons, I welcome his decision to retire after the T20 WC.
Now this is a post I expect from Razab da. As I said let him decide what he wants to do. If he retires today I will surely cry but I will respect and welcome his decision. He knows what he is doing and deserves a little faith.
Old March 1, 2016, 09:05 PM
Cricket Savant

Favorite Player: Viv Richards, Steve Waugh

Tui ki korli desh'er jonno? juddhey giye jibon disish? Doura doura.

Tiger. The real one.
Old March 2, 2016, 12:02 PM

Favorite Player: Tamim,Ash,Mash,Shakib

quite a burden of the team.
Old March 2, 2016, 02:58 PM
First Class Cricketer

Favorite Player: Windows Media Player

Let's see whether he can take his team home to win the final of the Asia cup and retire on a winning note.