facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 17, 2005, 05:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by razabq
Well, I have to say that I find this singling out of Nazmul by two respected board posters surprising.
It shouldn't be all that surprising. I have always said, I don't think Nazmul has the height or the pace to trouble top class batsmen and that is why I wasn't upset when he didn't get picked in the Test squad. If you don't have height, like Gough or Marshall (who are both a good deal taller than Nazmul), you have to have some pace. If you don't have pace, you have to have some height. If you have neither, no matter how much you swing the ball, you will have to be accurate a 100% of the time, especially on a nice wicket like the one they played on yesterday, and I don't think any bowler (maybe McGrath and Pollock) is that good to get it right all the time.

Someone mentioned Chittagong, so I'll say this about Chittagong, that wicket is the slowest I have ever seen! We would have never kept India to 230 odd if that wicket had any pace on it.

Look, I know Nazmul has bowled well before. But so has Saiful Islam, our premier fast bowler in the mid 90s. Aftab has bowled well before as well and cleaned up NZ. Thats my whole point, Nazmul, if you think about it, is not a whole deal better. When he is accurate, he will bowl well. When he is not, he will get hammered like yesterday. So for us fans of BD cricket, its just a question of hoping that Nazmul gets up on the right side of the bed on more match days than not. He has nothing in his armoury that is ever likely to trouble top class batsmen.

Old June 17, 2005, 06:02 AM
Cricket Legend

Just to take my point a little further, lets compare Nazmul with yesterday's debutante, Jon Lewis, who is not quick by any standard, even BD's. But, he has height and he can swing and the combination can be deadly.

Lets take the ball that got Ash out, he hit the seam from height on a good length just around off-stump and got a bit of bounce and just enough swing to take Ashraful's edge on the way to the keeper. With the pace Nazmul generates and from his height, can any of you see him bowling that delivery? I can't!
Old June 17, 2005, 06:50 AM
First Class Cricketer

ODI is a batsmen's game and it is the batsmen who win or lose the game for their team. The match was already a lost cause for BD when they got bowled out for 190.

It is the top 5 wickets that were lost before 80 runs were on the board that were primarily responsible for the debacle. BD typically scores in this range when they bat first and they have never won an ODI having scoread a total like this. Their two wins against major test class opposition in ODI was when they scored above 200 batting first.

So to expect that BD could have posed any threat to the English batsmen when they chased 190 is naive, to say the least.

I watched the bowling of Nazmul in the initial overs of England and he bowled at a good line and length at that time. In the initial overs, the English batsmen played themselves in and then they started to take calculated risk by stepping out to him and lofting him. They succeeded in disturbing the rhythm of Nazmul with their ploy and they successfully capitalised on it in his later overs. At that stage he should have been taken off by the skipper which was unfortunately not done.

Nazmul is only a medium fast bowler who bowled in the 75 to 79 mph range in this match. He did not get much swing which made him an innocuous bowler in the later stages. But he has in the past troubled batsmen when he got swing. He bowls a good line and length which is a desirable quality in any bowler, whatever his pace.

To my mind, it is quite unfair to single him out and use such discouraging language about him by some respected forummers ( as someone put it). How come Rafiq and Mahmud did not get similar threads from them. After all, their bowling performance was hardly any better. They supposedly have years of experience behind them as well.

Among the Bangladeshi new ball bowlers, Nazmul is one who will have more success in International cricket than most of his compatriots- I am sure of it. He just needs to be nurtured carefully. The detractors of Nazmul should look at the example of Vaas( who most of the fans must be very familiar with). He is hardly much taller or much quicker than Nazmul, but that has not stopped him from becoming the most successful new ball bowler from Sri Lanka.

Unlike the respected forummer who began this thread- I say- Nazmul is good- he can become much better.
Old June 17, 2005, 06:58 AM
Cricket Legend
Fantasy Winner: BD v NZ 2008

Quote:
Originally posted by shaoun
i have noticed onething in bangladesh cricket with the bowlers is that their career finishes at very early age. look at monjurul islam monju and hasibul hussein shanto, they are still very young. monju is 26 rightnow and shanto is 28, this is not too old. what i am scared of is that it may happen to masrafee, i think this thing is already showing in taposh baishya.
LOL, their career finishes early because they are big @g3 İh3@t3rs
Old June 17, 2005, 08:46 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

Question to those who think nazmul is does not worth it, whom do u wanna replace him with?
Old June 17, 2005, 08:55 AM
First Class Cricketer

WASCORONI !!! WASCORONI !!!
Old June 17, 2005, 09:01 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by paco
NO BALL!!! :P
Old June 17, 2005, 09:05 AM
Cricket Legend

Nazmul or no Nazmul, I think the Lords humiliation should've effectively ended Taposh's career.
Old June 17, 2005, 09:07 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
Originally posted by paco
Hati Ghora Gelo Tol, WASCORONI bole koto Jol?
Old June 17, 2005, 09:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Sahastra
Nazmul or no Nazmul, I think the Lords humiliation should've effectively ended Taposh's career.
Taposh didn't play at Lords
Old June 17, 2005, 09:09 AM
Cricket Legend

Spitfire,

That's the humiliation i was talking about
Old June 17, 2005, 09:24 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Spitfire,

That's the humiliation i was talking about
then I don't get it
Old June 17, 2005, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Spitfire,

Representing your country at Lords in many ways signifies the pinnacle of one's career and something to look back with pride.

By being bypassed in favour of other newcomers, Taposh was subjected to the indignity and humiliation that can take it's toll on any cricketer worth his grain.

In my opinion, Taposh's career ended there. I doubt if he's gonna be the same fighter again.
Old June 17, 2005, 09:45 AM
Chief Moderator

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Tapos was injured at that time. He was not considered because of fitness problems.
Old June 17, 2005, 09:46 AM
Cricket Sage

Quote:
In my opinion, Taposh's career ended there. I doubt if he's gonna be the same fighter again.
In other word "It hurt his feeling.
Old June 17, 2005, 09:55 AM

Favorite Player: Mashrafee Mortaza

to hell with lords. its just another field. like the other hundreds all over the word. what happened at lords should not have anymore impact than chester le street or st. luise or harare. they are all the same.
Old June 17, 2005, 09:58 AM
Retired BC Admin

Nazmul, regardless of his height or age, is one of the few best pacers we currently have. As a line and length bowler, he has the potential to keep batsmen alert. If he can add variations, he is sure to have improved penetration.

Now a days, many batsmen can blast away any pacer. We are getting used to see the ODI runs to cross the 300 line every now and then. When we see an otherwise well known pacer concedes in excess of 6 runs an over, do we really blame that bowler or praise the batsmen for a quickfire ton?

Few months ago, when Rafique was taken out of the attack by the Zimbabwean after only 2/3 overs, does it really say anything much about him? It is this variability from day to day that makes Kaspro a class act even at the presence of McGrath. Recall the unknown Aftab in presence of better known bowlers?

How far Nazmul really can go is beyond me as I'm neither an expert nor a coach. I's sure, many of you are cricket gurus and have the expertise and ability to predict a long way, but Nazmul has given me enough hope to keep my faith alive on him against your odds.
Old June 17, 2005, 10:58 AM
Cricket Legend

I concur with Chinaman in that judgements should be reserved until a bowler has been tried enough and not solely on the basis of how badly he was slogged in an ODI.