facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 17, 2005, 12:54 PM
Street Cricketer

Job Aftab.

Old June 17, 2005, 10:28 PM
Test Cricketer

aftab had 2 great series so far. dont get too carried away with him because as far as i m concern he needs to prove himself. but he does look like a great prospect. i hope this performance will get him a place with some county team in england. this will be great for his career. i hope dav or others who has connection with england counties helps aftab find a place.
Old June 18, 2005, 12:49 AM
First Class Cricketer

I agree with you but lets hope he is consistant......
There rae so many talents in BD team but they are not consistant....like Basher...Ashraful...Kapali....Rajin.....
I just pray that he is not one of them....
Old June 18, 2005, 01:00 AM
Test Cricketer

Quote:
Originally posted by AgentSmith
The last few Matche of Aftab's scores:

30, 67, 9, 1, 15, 38, 44, 81, 51.

With the only exception of a 1, he has been very very consistent and the leading scorer. That make me wonder, Alok during his "golden era" when he created so many fans, was any more consistent than this? those fans still can't forget alok. comparing that aftab is not that much of a popular figure among bangladeshi fans. there are still many fans who would consider alok to be their most favorite batsman. how many of us claims aftab to be the most favorite? make me wonder again, why?

Just a Piece of info here: Aftab now has the highest ODI average among all bangladeshis. Surprisingly, Rana is second. i know, i know, stat does not mean anything. its just a trivia.

Edited on, June 17, 2005, 1:51 AM GMT, by AgentSmith.
He is not only unpopular among some fans(?) but also some reporters. Do you remember an article by a respected member who went to the London Mayor's invitation for dinner with BD players. I was really curious then when he mentioned..
" could not wait for the speeches to be over so that I could have a chat with the players. Bangladeshi players are not really known for their conversational skills in a foreign land but nevertheless, I wanted to try. I first grabbed the lad from Narayanganj – our dear Mohammad Rafique. He looked very despondent and said he was ready for the action. However, his body language said the opposite. Then there was Ashraful – chirping away with everyone who was there. He was undoubtedly the most confident of the lot and was amazingly tiny and still managing to look like a school boy. There was Sumon and his ever present smile. He was very polite and mentioned that he was counting on our support at Lords. There was Aftab, the only “shoshrumondito”(bearded) player of the team. He looked very nervous. I don't know whether it was my recollection of the Shibir brothers of Dhaka University or if it was his nervousness, something put me off trying to have a chat with him. Mashrafe was bored out of his mind and was looking at a Bangla newspaper listlessly. Javed Omar was anxiously calling someone on the cell phone most of the evening. After my initial look at all of them, one thing that struck me was how young all these players were. They all were just kids. They have so much to grow. It was really refreshing to see the fresh but confident faces. I could literally feel the new found self belief in the team by being around them. The only old face of the team was of course that of Mr. Whatmore's. He literally looked like the father. Dav was making good use of the wine and was in a jovial mood"

I would have gone to the shy one to learn how is so brave in the field!