facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Cricket > Cricket

Cricket Join fellow Tigers fans to discuss all things Cricket

Old June 16, 2017, 10:18 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Abul

I would play Mominul. He got everything but as usual undone by all means. Never got settled in the ODI team. Harsh on Mominul. He is our no.3 or Shanto

Old June 16, 2017, 01:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Not happening. Hathuru said it was a mistake moving Sabbir out of no 3 in first two matches. Now he wants to give Sabbir a long run at no 3.
Old June 16, 2017, 02:03 PM
Test Cricketer

Favorite Player: Wang Liqin

Many men, many minds.

To me, none of our current lot is technically that sound. There is a lot of criteria for a class No. 3 batsman (if you compare with Kohli, Smith, Kane, Root) which is hard to fulfill with our talent. It's better to hunt one.

The coach is trying to groom Sabbir for this role. At first, I liked the idea and hopes that Sabbir would mature himself. But that didn't happen and doesn't seem to happen in future either.

However I like the idea of Tamim being No. 3 and let SS + another RH batsman (Liton) open. Mominul doesn't seem to be a versatile LOI player.
Old June 16, 2017, 02:16 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Kohli

As per my observation Mominul seems kind of limited as a batsman, not sure if he can up the ante when required, Shabbir is way more talented than both Mominul and Kayes, just needs to fix his temperament issues, you need someone at no 3 who could rattle the cage of the opposition and strike fear into them whilst anchoring the innings when needed, Shabbir is not up there yet, but certainly got the potential. IMO Mominul would make a decent opener in ODIs, he could come handy during the first powerplay when the fielding restrictions are on.
Old June 16, 2017, 06:53 PM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mike Procter

See this is where selection contradictions are a bit ludicrous around here. We are saying mominul didn't ever get settled in the ODI team hence his poor record. Well he played 15 innings at 3 out of 24 innings in total, that's more innings at 3 than Sabbir (played 14 so far) who got good runs of 11 innings at both the 6 and 7 position so really Sabbir has been just as unsettled as mominul in that regard. Yes Sabbir has played more than mominul but he's still been all over the place in the order.

This isn't me endorsing Sabbir I'm just saying have a little equalness in rationale. Sabbir did score less runs than mominul (40-50 less) and has a lower average at 3 than mominul (not by too much though) but both have 3 half centuries at 3 and Sabbir's highest score was 65 when mominul's highest was 60 (not a big difference) but strike rate makes the main difference with Sabbir's being mid to high 80s whilst mominul was low to mid 70s.

Again I'm not advocating for Sabbir, I don't mind him getting a bit more time at 3 if that happens but he does need to adjust his mindset and learn to play long innings. I'm happy for liton to get another run or even shanto to be given some opportunities.

But let's say Sabbir stays at 3 we could have an order like this, keep in mind it's out of the box so don't be too critical:

1 tamim
2 liton
3 sabbir
4 mushy
5 shakib
6 riyad
7 Soumya

Now it might seem a bit weird to have Soumya lower down and although I don't feel it necessary to call for his head atm if we really do have a problem lower down in the last 10 but we have more options at the top of the order then why not put a natural stroke maker who can hit from ball 1 and likes to strike at over 100 down there.

Soumya is clearly talented enough for this level, so is Sabbir, it'd be a shame to lose them. The CT opened my eyes to mosaddek, he doesn't look ready yet for limited overs internationals, maybe it was just nerves but it was very nerve racking watching him connect with the ball and his technique (maybe it was his wristyness).

If we are to change the order before WC and we want to experiment now is the time to do it.

Otherwise keep Soumya up top and play liton at 3 and drop Sabbir back down the order but we need to work out who is to bat where and settle the team so players have clear roles going forward, the chopping and changing is making it difficult for the young players to develop.

I think if shanto is to get tested we should just commit him to the number 3 spot, it's either there or he's not in the xi, that way he has a clear defined role from the beginning and we'd also as a team be heading toward fixing the number 3 spot and grooming someone for it rather than trying to create a number 3 out of players who aren't really number 3s.
Old June 16, 2017, 07:56 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
See this is where selection contradictions are a bit ludicrous around here. We are saying mominul didn't ever get settled in the ODI team hence his poor record. Well he played 15 innings at 3 out of 24 innings in total, that's more innings at 3 than Sabbir (played 14 so far) who got good runs of 11 innings at both the 6 and 7 position so really Sabbir has been just as unsettled as mominul in that regard. Yes Sabbir has played more than mominul but he's still been all over the place in the order.

This isn't me endorsing Sabbir I'm just saying have a little equalness in rationale. Sabbir did score less runs than mominul (40-50 less) and has a lower average at 3 than mominul (not by too much though) but both have 3 half centuries at 3 and Sabbir's highest score was 65 when mominul's highest was 60 (not a big difference) but strike rate makes the main difference with Sabbir's being mid to high 80s whilst mominul was low to mid 70s.

Again I'm not advocating for Sabbir, I don't mind him getting a bit more time at 3 if that happens but he does need to adjust his mindset and learn to play long innings. I'm happy for liton to get another run or even shanto to be given some opportunities.

But let's say Sabbir stays at 3 we could have an order like this, keep in mind it's out of the box so don't be too critical:

1 tamim
2 liton
3 sabbir
4 mushy
5 shakib
6 riyad
7 Soumya

Now it might seem a bit weird to have Soumya lower down and although I don't feel it necessary to call for his head atm if we really do have a problem lower down in the last 10 but we have more options at the top of the order then why not put a natural stroke maker who can hit from ball 1 and likes to strike at over 100 down there.

Soumya is clearly talented enough for this level, so is Sabbir, it'd be a shame to lose them. The CT opened my eyes to mosaddek, he doesn't look ready yet for limited overs internationals, maybe it was just nerves but it was very nerve racking watching him connect with the ball and his technique (maybe it was his wristyness).

If we are to change the order before WC and we want to experiment now is the time to do it.

Otherwise keep Soumya up top and play liton at 3 and drop Sabbir back down the order but we need to work out who is to bat where and settle the team so players have clear roles going forward, the chopping and changing is making it difficult for the young players to develop.

I think if shanto is to get tested we should just commit him to the number 3 spot, it's either there or he's not in the xi, that way he has a clear defined role from the beginning and we'd also as a team be heading toward fixing the number 3 spot and grooming someone for it rather than trying to create a number 3 out of players who aren't really number 3s.
I think Soumya needs to play at the top. What I will do is let Liton open and bring Soumya one down. We absolutely need our big hitters down the order. I thought we found our best combination but I think there is a huge problem at our lower order, specially the allrounders category. Also I feel that just like England, we need to pack our tail with bowlers who bowl 140 but can hit as well when required. This is essential in the modern game. The other thing that needs to happen is Mushfique, Shakib and Riyad's order should be fixed and not changed. They prefer it this way and what happens if we change again is we have 3 more batsmen who are unsettled instead of the number 3 and 7. We don't need this atm.

Top Order
1) Tamim
2) Liton
3) Soumya <- This place is up for grabs now though. Soumya needs to average atleast 40 in the next 5 games to retain his spot but I fear his drop is almost becoming imminent given his performance.

Middle Order
4) Mushfique
5) Shakib
6) Riyad

Lower Middle Order - Hitters
7) Shabbir
8) Nasir
9) Shaifuddin

Tail
10) Taskin
11) Fizz

I think in this BPL, we will have to find our best hitters in the country. That spot for 8 and 9 still up for grabs in my opinion. So is Taskin's spot in bowling, although I feel he is one of our bests. In total I would say 4 places that we need to open up for in the national team. Shabbir should stay but probably best to move him down the order now again. He hasn't clicked unfortunately. I do agree that Mosaddek is not a hitter type batsman we need at 7. We need someone to absolutely clobber it. Miraz is still under developlment and should not bat after 4 anyways, he is orthodox. We need someone like Zia's hitting power but at the same time someone who can easily contribute 10 overs if we need.

I feel we need to try Raju, Zia, Shafiuddin, Alauddin Babu even Rony at that spot. We just can't leave these questions hanging, need to fix it before the next WC.

For number 3, question is who is really the most gifted batsman in the country. Someone who is not in the national squad too.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:13 PM
Cricket Guru

I honestly believe the most talented bats of the young generation are in no order liton, soumya, sabbir and shanto. Shanto has the most experience as a number 3 but liton and soumya are both top order bats.

But one issue with shanto being at 3 if we also have soumya and tamim is that all if the top 3 are lefties and that's going to be a disadvantage even if they are the best 3 players for those positions. It's not as much if an issue in tests but in the shorter formats it could be targeted.
Old June 16, 2017, 08:25 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Taskin Ahmed - TazKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gowza
I honestly believe the most talented bats of the young generation are in no order liton, soumya, sabbir and shanto. Shanto has the most experience as a number 3 but liton and soumya are both top order bats.

But one issue with shanto being at 3 if we also have soumya and tamim is that all if the top 3 are lefties and that's going to be a disadvantage even if they are the best 3 players for those positions. It's not as much if an issue in tests but in the shorter formats it could be targeted.
I like Shanto, I think he can become on of our greats. He is consistent and has a real good technique. But what I am not sure about is his maturity and ability to take pressure, Shanto is still very very young. This CT has shown that we need a cool customer there. If Shanto can show me this BPL that he can chase under pressure then I am all for it.

It's funny how the stocks of a batsman goes up and then down. Just in SL series we were discussing how good Mosaddek looks, in the NZ series I thought Shabbir was our best technically gifted batsman. In the Ireland series it looked as if Soumya is back in royal touch. Sigh, when it mattered they all failed miserably.

I would like to see Liton a major run here though. I hope he comes back with a bang, but again I have a feeling he might not be able to take pressure. We need someone to take the pressure of the entire country and still score. Time will tell
Old June 16, 2017, 10:13 PM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: Imrul "The Don" Kayes

Our no. 2 and 3 batsmen in reality are actually no. 6 and 7 batsmen. Look at every other teams no. 2 and 3 batsman and then look at ours.
Old June 17, 2017, 07:41 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BengaliPagol
Our no. 2 and 3 batsmen in reality are actually no. 6 and 7 batsmen. Look at every other teams no. 2 and 3 batsman and then look at ours.
If that is the case then put them at those positions and bring in liton and shanto at the top. Sabbir will be fine down the order as he has been in the past, Soumya who knows...but Soumya is one of the few in the country who can hit from ball one, it's pretty natural to him and he's a powerful guy so no problem clearing the rope which is what everyone wanted in a lower order bat a week or so ago. TBH Soumya is in bad form but I don't think he should be dropped, he still averages mid 30s.
Old June 19, 2017, 07:08 AM
Cricket Legend

Anamul worked really hard.. he deserves few chances tbh. He can plau long innigs.
Old June 19, 2017, 09:39 AM
ODI Cricketer

As long as Hature is there Anamul has no chance to return. Hature doesn't like Anamul attitude while batting.