facebook Twitter RSS Feed YouTube StumbleUpon

Home | Forum | Chat | Tours | Articles | Pictures | News | Tools | History | Tourism | Search

Go Back   BanglaCricket Forum > Miscellaneous > Forget Cricket

Forget Cricket Talk about anything [within Board Rules, of course :) ]

Old September 13, 2017, 03:56 AM
Cricket Legend

Favorite Player: AirBus A340

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon4567
The Bangladeshi govt blocked these NSFW sites in Bangladesh (which was a stupid move from them IMHO, censorship is never good). DVDs and storage devices has always been a way of acquiring those adult films in BD because even pre-2010, before the smartphone era in BD internet access was largely limited. So your hard disk story reminded me of that, and hence I warned you.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem if its a big store in a big shopping mall they would not risk legal trouble. As long as you avoid footpath.

Whatever you do, be a master at the art of bargaining (if not take someone local with you), and do not tell them you are from the UK, otherwise they will rip you off.
Legend has it, Bengali's never pay full price.

Old September 13, 2017, 04:01 AM
Cricket Guru

Favorite Player: Mustafiz, Tamim

Quote:
Whatever you do, be a master at the art of bargaining (if not take someone local with you), and do not tell them you are from the UK, otherwise they will rip you off.
I am decent at bargaining. Best place I learnt it was when buying from the vegtable market when I was a kid and also studied it at uni. I even haggled my way with paying zero baksheesh in Egypt airport which is notorious for cheating tourists. It is an art though.

You are right the last thing I want to do is tell sellers I am tourist, which I think is applicable to every foreign country one visits.

I was looking for some suggestions of such big shops tbh which is why I was asking. I will try Riffles Squre and Elephant Rd first as that is not too far away from base.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:04 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamnsu
I am decent at bargaining. Best place I learnt it was when buying from the vegtable market when I was a kid and also studied it at uni. I even haggled my way with paying zero baksheesh in Egypt airport which is notorious for cheating tourists. It is an art though.

You are right the last thing I want to do is tell sellers I am tourist, which I think is applicable to every foreign country one visits.

I was looking for some suggestions of such big shops tbh which is why I was asking. I will try Riffles Squre and Elephant Rd first as that is not too far away from base.
You can go to Westecs for good clothes in Bashundara, and BCS computer city for good electronics situated in Mirpur(don't know which one)

Westecs is relatively cheap too, and they accept international credit cards.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:09 AM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib, Mash, Mushy

As for shirts, I wear L shirts in Oz, but my Bangladesh size is XXL. Cricket shirts are only popular if there are games on at BD, the time I went there was none on. I even went looking at Bashundhara City and Jamuna Future Park - they had some really high quality bootlegged European football merch, but no cricket shirts there either. At last I went to the stadium market in Mirpur around SBNC and i couldn't find a single shirt my size (I wear 1 size below yours). The best I could get was a bootlegged shirt which looks horrible. No luck in the huge wholesale markets in Tongi Bazar either (sidenote: highly recommend you to go there for a visit). This has finally motivated me to lose weight next time I travel to Bangladesh. So I can finally dawn the Red and Green jersey.

Looking for shirts and pants could be a bit of an embarrasing experience if you are obese in Bangladesh. So you are probably out of luck man.

EDIT: Westecs has some great shirts for extremely cheap like many other places in BD, but you will definitely struggle to find your favourite shirt in XL+ sizes from experience.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinRaat.
You can go to Westecs for good clothes in Bashundara, and BCS computer city for good electronics situated in Mirpur(don't know which one)

Westecs is relatively cheap too, and they accept international credit cards.
Westecs ring a bell. There used to be one near Gulshan shooting club and Uttara too. When you mean Bashundhara is it the shopping mall near Panthapaat or the area where NSU is?

From my experience few years ago, BD is expensive and poor value in terms of western clothing. Bongo doesnt have anything decent and a waste of time, although there is a shingara stall which makes fresh ones, the best I had. Compartively UK clothing during is much better and afforadable and I am not talking about Primark/Supermarket clothing.

I usually take my younger cousins to Big Boss in Dhanmondi to buy them some clothes.

However I will be looking for decent punjabis and nagras.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:37 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Westecs ring a bell. There used to be one near Gulshan shooting club and Uttara too. When you mean Bashundhara is it the shopping mall near Panthapaat or the area where NSU is?

From my experience few years ago, BD is expensive and poor value in terms of western clothing. Bongo doesnt have anything decent and a waste of time, although there is a shingara stall which makes fresh ones, the best I had. Compartively UK clothing during is much better and afforadable and I am not talking about Primark/Supermarket clothing.

I usually take my younger cousins to Big Boss in Dhanmondi to buy them some clothes.

However I will be looking for decent punjabis and nagras.
Its inside the Bashundara Mall, level 3 or 5, its a big show room, like Harrods or what ever you guys have in UK. It looks like a western store you can't miss it.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:42 AM
Cricket Legend

Buy clothes from Bashundara mall, places like Jamuna are very overpriced, I recently(5 months ago) entered a store in jamuna, in which unknown branded shirts sell for 5000 to 6000 taka, the shopkeeper told me they were "designer brands"
Old September 13, 2017, 04:44 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
As for shirts, I wear L shirts in Oz, but my Bangladesh size is XXL. Cricket shirts are only popular if there are games on at BD, the time I went there was none on. I even went looking at Bashundhara City and Jamuna Future Park - they had some really high quality bootlegged European football merch, but no cricket shirts there either. At last I went to the stadium market in Mirpur around SBNC and i couldn't find a single shirt my size (I wear 1 size below yours). The best I could get was a bootlegged shirt which looks horrible. No luck in the huge wholesale markets in Tongi Bazar either (sidenote: highly recommend you to go there for a visit). This has finally motivated me to lose weight next time I travel to Bangladesh. So I can finally dawn the Red and Green jersey.

Looking for shirts and pants could be a bit of an embarrasing experience if you are obese in Bangladesh. So you are probably out of luck man.

EDIT: Westecs has some great shirts for extremely cheap like many other places in BD, but you will definitely struggle to find your favourite shirt in XL+ sizes from experience.
Its more of a pain looking for BD jerseys for sure. I am more broad shouldered and tall which is why I need XXXL . Porbably if Akram Khan or even Atahar was playing it would have been easier.

But 2 places u can defo get large sizes 1) in Elephant Rd near bata signal 2) Bashundhara City panapath, and its the first shop beside the escaltors. Although the quality is very flimsy and bright.

When I went to see BD play in UK this year i immidately took mine off and bought one from the stadium with just the logo tshirt (not from the kit)

I really like the top I posted. I think apart from the top Grameen sponsored (2005) when Asharful made that 100 against Australia, IMO this is the best.

Btw whats in tongi bazzar??

Big Boss in dhamondi usually has large sizes. I know because a "big" hearted friend of mine shops from there.

Furthermore from my comments to DinRaat, i think people who live in the UK are better off not looking for shirts or pants in BD. I was really looking for this jacket I saw many years ago in Bongo bazzar that turns into a bag but alas that or any good quality jackets were not around.

Which reminds me, might see how much leather jackets are in Eastern plaza
Old September 13, 2017, 04:45 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Its more of a pain looking for BD jerseys for sure. I am more broad shouldered and tall which is why I need XXXL . Porbably if Akram Khan or even Atahar was playing it would have been easier.

But 2 places u can defo get large sizes 1) in Elephant Rd near bata signal 2) Bashundhara City panapath, and its the first shop beside the escaltors. Although the quality is very flimsy and bright.

When I went to see BD play in UK this year i immidately took mine off and bought one from the stadium with just the logo tshirt (not from the kit)

I really like the top I posted. I think apart from the top Grameen sponsored (2005) when Asharful made that 100 against Australia, IMO this is the best.

Btw whats in tongi bazzar??

Big Boss in dhamondi usually has large sizes. I know because a "big" hearted friend of mine shops from there.

Furthermore from my comments to DinRaat, i think people who live in the UK are better off not looking for shirts or pants in BD. I was really looking for this jacket I saw many years ago in Bongo bazzar that turns into a bag but alas that or any good quality jackets were not around.

Which reminds me, might see how much leather jackets are in Eastern plaza
Whats that. And where can I get one.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:47 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Buy clothes from Bashundara mall, places like Jamuna are very overpriced, I recently(5 months ago) entered a store in jamuna, in which unknown branded shirts sell for 5000 to 6000 taka, the shopkeeper told me they were "designer brands"
Forgive me for my ignorance bro, but is Bashundhara mall you refer to as the one in Panthapaat.

if so , i like that place for some reason. The prices are reasonable and the enviorment is nice with lots of open spaces. I also had fresh akher rosh.

Might take the cousins to watch a movie. Is it possible to book online?
Old September 13, 2017, 04:50 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Forgive me for my ignorance bro, but is Bashundhara mall you refer to as the one in Panthapaat.

if so , i like that place for some reason. The prices are reasonable and the enviorment is nice with lots of open spaces. I also had fresh akher rosh.

Might take the cousins to watch a movie. Is it possible to book online?
Yes. It is, if your going to watch a movie, beware they are not usually up to date with the latest films.
Old September 13, 2017, 04:52 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Whats that. And where can I get one.
Well when I was leaving for BD i made one last trip to bongo the day before for jackets. SOme guy was selling it to me but it was too late as I was tired.

its a jacket that transforms into a bag. More like a small backpack.

Funny thing is that due to new airplane allowances a kickstart company has reinvented this idea. Its a long coat with large pockets. It also transforms into a bag too with the sutff in it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-the-freque
Old September 13, 2017, 04:58 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Well when I was leaving for BD i made one last trip to bongo the day before for jackets. SOme guy was selling it to me but it was too late as I was tired.

its a jacket that transforms into a bag. More like a small backpack.

Funny thing is that due to new airplane allowances a kickstart company has reinvented this idea. Its a long coat with large pockets. It also transforms into a bag too with the sutff in it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...for-the-freque
There's one that turns into a tent.
Old September 13, 2017, 06:45 AM
Street Cricketer

Favorite Player: Shakib Al Hasan

Quote:
Yes. It is, if your going to watch a movie, beware they are not usually up to date with the latest films.
Bashundhara is currently showing -

Dunkirk
The Hitman's Bodyguard
Spiderman Homecoming
Atomic Blonde
Annabelle: Creation

Blockbuster at Jamuna is showing -

Transformers: The Last Knight
Spider-Man: Homecoming
The Mummy
Baywatch
Despicable Me 3
The Glass Castle
Annabelle: Creation
An Inconvenient Sequel:Truth to Pow

'It' will be dropping within the next 10 days....so, things aren't that bad here. Considering, It was released in the US only 4-5 days ago.

Last edited by Feni_Heni; September 13, 2017 at 07:57 AM..
Old September 13, 2017, 08:14 AM
Cricket Legend

Tailoring is great in Bangladesh, So whenever I visit Bangladesh I take fabric from UK and make suits and coats
Old September 13, 2017, 11:51 AM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
Tailoring is great in Bangladesh, So whenever I visit Bangladesh I take fabric from UK and make suits and coats
I take a suit every time and a couple of jackets to get tailored. This time won't be different
Old September 13, 2017, 12:14 PM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
I take a suit every time and a couple of jackets to get tailored. This time won't be different
Yh it's great, but you should take fabric and get them to tailor it from scratch. You will be surprised at the results
Old September 13, 2017, 12:44 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by revolver
Yh it's great, but you should take fabric and get them to tailor it from scratch. You will be surprised at the results
Let's see. More keen on a leather jacket tbh.

Also there is this guy who opened a posh tailoring in Dhaka. He used to post photos of himself. I think it's this guy

https://kingofdhaka.com/tag/best-dressed-man/
Old October 6, 2017, 03:49 AM
Cricket Guru

Where do you get nice mens shawls?
Old October 6, 2017, 09:43 AM
Cricket Legend

Quote:
Let's see. More keen on a leather jacket tbh.

Also there is this guy who opened a posh tailoring in Dhaka. He used to post photos of himself. I think it's this guy

https://kingofdhaka.com/tag/best-dressed-man/
Bro....That guy looks like a sex offender.
Old October 6, 2017, 04:56 PM
ODI Cricketer

Favorite Player: Ziya

adam bhai, deshey naki ? Amar kisu Lux shaban lagbey ...

I buy my shirts from Mataln for £7. In Dhaka, shirts are poor quality but cost a lot! Ironically, the Matalan shirts are made in BD

Ar revolver bhai, apni kotha thaika fabric pan eikhaney ?
Old October 6, 2017, 06:10 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Bro....That guy looks like a sex offender.
This guy runs the most sought after tailoring in Dhaka, sourcing his material from Italian fabrics.

Although I understand your comment, but how many Bangladeshis his age dress up like that?
Old October 6, 2017, 06:14 PM
Cricket Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shingara
adam bhai, deshey naki ? Amar kisu Lux shaban lagbey ...

I buy my shirts from Mataln for £7. In Dhaka, shirts are poor quality but cost a lot! Ironically, the Matalan shirts are made in BD

Ar revolver bhai, apni kotha thaika fabric pan eikhaney ?
Why Lux? Why not life Bouy?

Well the irony is sad tbh. Bangladesh ain't cheap for clothing. But a lot of clothes in UK is made in Bangladesh.

For shirts in U.K., I buy from Charles Twright. The quality is so good.
Old October 30, 2017, 09:34 AM
Cricket Guru

Any advice on places in Dhaka to visit ideal for a 7 year old ?
Old October 30, 2017, 11:50 AM
Cricket Sage

Favorite Player: Mo Chowdhury MoC

Quote:
Any advice on places in Dhaka to visit ideal for a 7 year old ?
Adam bhaiya,
Please take her/him to Lalbagh Fort, Ahsan Manjil (Old Dhaka) and the National Museum at Shahbagh. You can also take your little one (7 years is a good age for developing passion for art, history etc.) to the Dhaka Art College and the visit the gallery there.

The historical places will totally give a sense/introduction of his/her root history/architectural history which is so very different than Britain.

Also, there are some excellent book stores in Gulshan. You can take hi there as well for some book shopping. If you need, I will give you the names and addresses.

Hope you enjoy your trip to Bangladesh with your family.